Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate Jehovah's Witnesses?

ManaMinori

I’ve just registered to ask the same question.

i have been close friends with a friend and just told him I had been going to Jehovah’s Witness meeting and studying the Bible with them.  Wow! His reaction was explosive and not what I expected at all. He told me he didn’t want to know about it and certainly didn’t want me ramming religion down his throat (what very weird emotive expression ... how can I ram religion down his throat - especially as he is twice my size)

I knew people got annoyed at the knocking on doors but it’s not a big issue. I just used to tell them I’m not interested in religion so please don’t call here again. And they left. But now I am interested and I find them to be real nice people with great values so I’m puzzled at the vitriolic hatred they engender.

I had issues with their view on blood transfusions (I work in the medical field) - I guess they all did at one time. I was surprised to learn it was not their teaching, but the Bible’s teaching. I think not a vague teaching. 

Of course I did quite a lot of reading on the web sites critical of them and found so many comments from former members who mainly seemed upset over the disfellowshipping practice. Tough, but again as my teacher said, it’s what the Apostle Paul spelled out in Corinthians. If you do the crime, you do the time as the saying goes. My view is, if you want to know about them just ask them what they believe and why. If you had wanted to know what Jesus believed 2,000 years ago, you wouldn’t have expected an unbiased answer from the scribes or Pharisees or Pontious Pilate etc.

Anyway, I’m enjoying it and learning a lot even though I still have a lot of questions about the Big Bang, the age of the earth, some of the miracles etc. it’s interesting for me to read other calmer peoples opinions on this site.

Best regards,

Johnmak

I have no problems with them on a personal level but I don't like them knocking on my door and trying to convert me or whatever it is they do. My parents don't like them in general because they feel they tried to manipulate me when I used to answer the door to the same two people for a period of about a year when we lived in Calgary. Again, I have no problems with them but I do wish they wouldn't knock on the door like they do. I wish them the best of luck with their methods but I'd rather not have to deal with them anymore.

This thread needs some Hitch.

If religions truly, truly left everyone else alone, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.  I certainly wouldn't fight against it as I do.  What I have a problem with is people trying to force their beliefs on others.  I don't like it even if it's in a peaceful, "have you heard the good word?" sort of way.  If you want to have your religion, fine, but leave me out of it, and leave everyone else out of it.  But this is what religion simply cannot do, and will never be able to do.  Many religion people say, "Why do you have such a problem with religion when we're not bothering you in any way?"  Oh, but you are, even if you don't see it.  Religion has a duty to intervene.  When people want laws passed to cater to their faith, or impede scientific research due to biblical-based objections, or trying to have creationism taught in schools, this isn't leaving people alone and not bothering them.  This is trying to make your way of life everyone's way of life.  If religion truly left everyone else out of it, then it wouldn't be a problem.  If every religious person agreed to only have proven facts taught in school, and said, "Hey, eat what you want, dress how you want, have sex with who you want, marry who you want.  Doesn't make any difference to me," then we wouldn't have a problem.  But religion seems utterly incapable of this.  Some people truly do leave others alone, I'll stipulate that, but as a whole, religion believes that god has given specific instructions on how to live, and it has a duty to try to spread, influence, and convert wherever and whenever it can.  Jehovah's Witnesses?  Don't come knocking at my door.  Leave me the f*ck alone.  If I want to join your club, I know where to find you.

@Nightmare Muffin, over the course of my time on these forums, I have seen you make many-a-thread such as this, asking many similar questions to the tune of why there is such negativity towards religion.  Questions like, "Why do people hate on religion?", "Why do people make fun of religion?", "Why is it hard to believe in the bible?", and so on.  Now, I forget exactly what threads you've made, so these are by no means direct quotes, but I know I've seen and posted in many threads like this that you have started.  It seems to me...and if I have totally missed my guess, then I apologize...but it seems to me that you're a religious person who sees a lot of negativity floating around about religion, and you honestly don't fully understand why or where it comes from.  You seem to come here a lot seeking some clarity and answers.  I'd like to help provide some if I can.  The following is meant to be a general, broad stroke answer to a lot of the types of questions you've asked over the years.

The reason that there is such negativity towards religion is that it has done, and continues to do, much harm to humanity.  It is the most divisive thing ever created.  Each holy book tells a completely different story, and each one says that it is the one and only truth.  They are all incompatible with each other, and there is no evidence for any of them.  Each religion was created in much the same way--a civilization, in its scientific infancy, struggling to explain the world around them, and trying to come up with answers.  There is no reason to think one holy book is true, and all the others are false.  Why this religion?  Why this god?  Why not that other one, in that other country?  Why not any of the defunct gods of the past, in the vast graveyard we call "mythology"?  There have been thousands of religions and thousands of gods.  There are thousands of gods currently in use today, by which I mean that there is someone, somewhere, that prays to that god.  How much time does any religious person spend worrying that they've got the wrong book and the wrong god?  None, in almost every case.  Religion, and the god someone worships, is overwhelmingly based on the pure randomness of geography.  You're born in this country, to these parents, and you grew up being told you're a Christian child, a Hindu child, a Muslim child, etc.  If we had been born in Denmark in the time of the vikings, we'd be worshipping Thor and Odin.  If we had been born in ancient Greece, Zeus and Poseidon, ancient Egypt, Horas and Anubis.  Are any of these gods really so different?  What makes them dismissed as silly, while the god of the bible endures?  It's not like humanity disproved the gods of ancient Greece.  We didn't prove that Zeus doesn't exist, but the god of Abraham does.  This is not a discovery that occurred.  The old gods fell out of favor because civilizations changed, people stopped being raised with those religions, and they simply fell out of favor.  All of the religions of today are no different.  Christianity and Islam and Hindu and all the rest are no different than ancient Greece or Egypt.  Just books written by people trying to figure things out.  The god of the bible is no more likely to exist than Zeus.  There is no evidence for either.

Religion is irrational in this way.  It's not wholly irrational to believe in some sort of "higher power".  I don't because there's no evidence of any, but if someone comes to the conclusion that there must be a higher power, I can respect that.  But believing that one's holy book is literally true, that they have ahold of the right holy book and the right god, and that living as that holy book dictates is the only way to get into heaven and avoid damnation is not only illogical, it's detrimental to humanity.  Dogma is the enemy of rational thinking.  Conversation is the only way we have of error correction.  It's the only way we can make things better.  Dogma shuts down conversation.  When one has a piece of literature and says that it's the one and only truth for all time, and must be believed without evidence, it completely closes the door to all possible improvement or new answers.  We have to be open to new evidence.  We have to able to keep talking and error correct.  Religion has tried to shut down that project for all of human history, at every possible turn.  Every religion has its own idea of exactly how people are suppose to live and to think, and each religion wants the rest of the world to be the same way.  Some use violence in an attempt to achieve this.  Others just try to influence laws and public policy.  There are some new-agey type religions that are so elastic in their views that I'd hardly call them religions.  More like philosophies.  They're not dogmatic.  They don't go, "Our way or hell."  I don't have a problem with these religions.  But these aren't the mainstream.  Not in any way, shape, or form.  The major religions have always sought and continue to seek to impose their ways on others.

Religion causes more war and death and violence than any other source.  Religion gives us global jihadism.  Religions that aren't so extreme merely retard the progress of science.  Religion promotes the genital mutilation of children and calls it "tradition".  Religion indoctrinates children and teaches them from birth that if they don't believe and practice exactly what's in this book, they will burn for all eternity.  This is child abuse, pure and simple.  Religion devalues women and seeks to take away their rights over their own reproduction.  Religion preaches the sinfulness of condoms in AIDS ridden African villages.  Religion teaches generations of children not to ask questions nor to think critically for themselves.  Religion teaches people that atheism is unnatural and evil, and that one cannot be a good or moral person without god.  Do the people who think this ever wonder what it would be like if they were simply born in a world that didn't teach them about any gods?  What if one was born in the wilderness and raised by wolves?  You'd never know anything of god or Jesus.  Would that make one a bad person?  Religion teaches people to be ashamed of themselves and their own bodies.  Religion condemns the way people are born.  Religion threatens people with hell.  Religions control people with fear.  It claims to know things it cannot know, and it claims to have powers it cannot have.

Now, not every religion does these things, and not every religious person contributes to these horrors.  Many religious people only see one side of it--the side of their loving community, in their small slice of Americana, where their church appears to foster nothing but fellowship and brotherhood, and they wonder why people have a problem with it.  They're only seeing the good part, which is one tiny piece.  The fact is, all of the good things that people get from religion can be had and found without the divisive dogma, and without the irrational superstition.  All of the good can be had while still admitting that we don't know for sure what happens when we die.  All the good can be had without claiming that this one book is the immutable word of the creator of the universe, for all time, and any who don't follow it are doomed.

Religion is a problem.  I'm sorry, but it's true.  It needs to be admitted, even if it's hard.  Muffin, I don't know if any of this has helped at all, or just made it worse.  My goal wasn't to offend or upset.  My goal was simply to help you to stop wondering why people don't like religion.  For what it's worth, I encourage you to expand your circles, look, listen, read, and consider other possibilities.  I'll always encourage that to religious people.

This has been another ludicrous text wall brought to you by Justin Case.  Until next time.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Um, I think I know

I've seen lots of JW service messages, and they often bash other people's opinions, with the argument that if people don't think their way they won't end up in paradise with Jehovah. I don't like to think all JWs are like that, but it may be why some people dislike them.

(edited)

I dunno, no offense to anyone on here who’s possibly a JW but y’all can be super abrasive and not very pleasant to be around. I’m not saying all of you are that way, but the vast majority seem to be. 

Which is why some people dislike JWs I guess. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

They've only come to my door one time. I thought they were like government agents or something they were so formal looking in black suits and ties. They asked if I was religious and I just said "no" and there was a slightly awkward goodbye. 

Nothing to hate really

Why would I hate them?

It's the only time I get to play hide and seek as an adult!

Seriously though. The persistence of some can come across as rude when you're trying to go about your daily business. A simple no thank you, should be enough to let them know you are not interested. It can also (much like cold calling of any description) be frustrating for the elderly or those who have a disability. It can be painful and tiring for some to answer the phone or door and frustrating for them when it's just someone trying to sell them something without invitation. Be it a product or a religious/political belief.

I remember my neighbour hid behind a hedge for a good five minutes when they were making the rounds a while back.

• Brohoof 1

I try to ignore them and move along, though I can see why they can be deemed annoying. My dad has a pretty large dislike for them, given that most of his family are JWs.

• Brohoof 1

I don't target Jehovah's Witnesses specifically on this because other branches of Christianity and other entirely different religions actually do something similar as well. I don't like religion shoved down my throat. 

Also, I find religious people in general a bit aggravating... I find that they can be a bit prejudicial and a bit pretentious.

• Brohoof 2

I suppose some people don't like them because they are a bit more unusual than more mild religions. Yeah, it can get annoying if they persistently try to talk to you and won't leave you alone, but most I've met have been very nice. I don't like to judge people by their religion. There will always be some people who try to force their views on you, religious or otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

My experiences have all been very positive and friendly. I respect anyone who goes out into an inhospitable world to spread a positive message. 

For the most part [for me]. However there were those who would act disrespectful in some ways. 

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I don't hate them but knocking on people's doors to bother them about religion and trying to convert them is extremely annoying. I also disagree with their views on blood transfusions.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud
  • Brohoof 2

I can’t say they’re outright hated, but some groups do have some mistrust over them. I remember when going to church the preacher remark on them as a dangerous cult; along with the Mormons.

Really; it’s a silly notion and they’re not much different from the mainline Christian groups. They just seem to be more willing to go door-to-door.

• 1 year later...

Btw we don't try to convert you right there right now at your doorstep... We have to assess you... If you are a lost sheep or not... If you guys aren't interested we will definitely leave... But we aren't perfect... So we might also irritate you... Im sure my first time was bad.... I think I haven't even perfected my house to house even now:laugh:

On 2017-10-29 at 2:08 AM, Johnmak said:

I had issues with their view on blood transfusions (I work in the medical field) - I guess they all did at one time. I was surprised to learn it was not their teaching, but the Bible’s teaching. I think not a vague teaching. 

Ummm... not quite. It's based on a highly specious interpretation of an obscure Old Testament passage, one not shared by any other branch of Christianity.

Either way, you're talking about human sacrifice - by any level-headed standard, a perfectly valid reason to file a religion under "wacko cult".

On 2017-10-29 at 2:08 AM, Johnmak said:

Of course I did quite a lot of reading on the web sites critical of them and found so many comments from former members who mainly seemed upset over the disfellowshipping practice. Tough, but again as my teacher said, it’s what the Apostle Paul spelled out in Corinthians. If you do the crime, you do the time as the saying goes.

What about the stuff Jesus spelled out in most of the New Testament? "Love thy neighbor" and all that.

And playing the "If you do the crime, you do the time" card when the so-called "crime" essentially amounts to no more than a difference of opinion is, by the standards of basically anyone other than religious fanatics, utterly unconscionable - especially when directed towards a family member.