Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Code Of Ethics Do You Live By?

Twiggy

I wouldn't call it a "code", I think I'm still searching for my "universal life code" but I can think of some general rules that I at least try to follow more or less succesfully:

Live and let other people live as far as they don't cause anybody harm.

Do not assume superficial statements, try to analyze, undrestand the causes and all aspects of things, be sceptical.

Often it's better to try something new and face disappointment than not to try and regret it.

Don't be ashamed of who you are and don't try to conform only because you are expected to do so without any reason.

On 1.06.2017 at 4:59 AM, Frostgage said:

"Don't be a dick." That's really all there is to it

Yeah, that's exactly the rule more people should follow :lol:

On 1.06.2017 at 4:53 AM, Vulon Bii said:
  1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

3. When in another’s lair, show them respect or else do not go there.

4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
  6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.

7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy them.

The 11 Satanic rules of the Earth. Personally, I don't follow #7 since I don't believe in magic. #11 is my favorite though.

I find these very interesting and true in many aspects, though I think that in some aspects it sounds a bit too... selfish? (I'm not sure how exactly would I call it)

• Brohoof 1

My code of ethics is basically a search for self-enlightenment. I wouldn't exactly call it a teaching, but my philosophy is as follows:

-One must have the audacity and passion to act with meaning behind their actions.

-One must find their aesthetics and beliefs, such that they may remain true to them and free of inner conflicts.

-One must learn to conquer their negative emotions and fears instead of denying them.

-One must remain steadfast and loyal to those who are important to them. The bonds which you make with friends and family are the ones that regulate the content which flows into your life.

-One must always attempt to be the best version of themselves possible. To accept anything short of this is to surrender to inner turmoil. 

-There is no shame in one's failures. There is only shame in inaction.

-Always seek to learn and evolve, in a variety of fields. To do anything less is to remain a fossil of yesterday in today's world.

I live with this thought.

Be friendly, respectful and humourish and everything will be right. Never be emotional when somebody is being offensive against you.

• 2 years later...

I follow the Seven Grandfather Teachings

Love, Respect, Bravery, Honesty, Wisdom, Truth and Humility

I try to follow those as I can, I fail sometimes but I'm working on it!!

Another one is from the wiccan saying, "If it harms none, do what you will...  But take no sh*t" (someone added that last bit but I think it adds a good bit of advice to the saying lol)

Life is super simple. I can do "everything I want" as long as I don't harass or hurt anyone. And I apply this rule to others as well. If other people are peaceful, I don't care about what they do.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:41 AM, Lucky Bolt said:

"I don't care what you do or who you love or what you believe in, as long as you treat me and others with respect, and don't go around hurting people" SIMPLE :SassySaddles2:

Exactly. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Bas said:

LOL, I get the reasoning and message, but that simply doesn't work for me as often things doesn't bother me but that do others, including social roles (who is allowed to say what) or distance.

I guess it depends on the person, then. I'm fairly sensitive so it works better for me than most.

Prudence, justice, temperance and fortitude are the four virtues that true women of my faith will strive for. I am not perfect and falter from time to time but I will always strive to be better using these traits to guide me. True, it's the four saintly virtues, but I find them to be the truest and easiest of all. OP has a tremendously respectable list of traits to strive to as well and any person I meet who shares them will always find a friend in me. :)

Christian virtues and ethics are the core that the rest of my attitudes branch off from.

All humans beings are equal in value and deserve a basic level of respect and decency directed at them. Sure arguments will happen and tempers will flare, but at the end of the day I try to remember that God loves them as much as he loves me, and I can rise above my negative feelings.

Sure I might fail, but you pick yourself up, learn from your mistakes, and do better next time.

Just now, Bas said:

@ShadOBabe

Eh my Christian US flatmate is pretty chill and recently said when we were talking about LGBTQs;

God loves all humans. It is not for me to judge upon them as he will do when the time comes.

Yup. God hates sin, but loves all people. And your flatmate is right. God’s job is to be the judge. That’s why revenge is considered wrong. You don’t need to do God’s job for him.

First thing to say here is that I found these by Michael Brody-Waite. I take no credit whatsoever for these.

These are just 3 principles. Of course, they're much easier said than done.

1. Practice rigorous authenticity
  2. Surrender the outcome
  3. Do uncomfortable work

Though right now, I'm feeling too tired to explain this in depth so I'll give a simplified explanation on each before giving the source video.

1. Practice rigorous authenticity: basically taking off any appearances you put regardless of the reason. There is a lot of temptation to stay silent or even lie about what you think or feel out of fear for what people might think or how they might respond. Which also goes into the next point.
  2. Surrender the outcome: don't try to control the outcome. The reason people put on appearances often comes down to a motivation to try and control what happens next. Maybe it's about trying to control what people think. Maybe it's to influence their actions or to get them to either say something you want to hear or not say something you don't want to hear. Be honest and own what happens.
  3. Do uncomfortable work: don't procrastinate, basically.

Source video:

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Bas said:

I had to laugh because I didn't know that word in English and it is pretty close to prudish, lol!

Didn't expect these two have such a different meanings.

I hadn't thought about how close those two words are, but that would have been pretty funny if you would have outright misread it as prudish. :p