Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Suggestion: The Boop System

DwhitetheGamer

Hello.  

I do have a suggestion, the Boop System.  On another MLP Forum I go to, there's a thing where when you click on an avatar or the name of the user, and the user options show up, there's a link to boop that user.  Both users can boop back and forth in a boop war, or just boop once and be done with it.  May I suggest a system for that usage?

• Brohoof 3

35 minutes ago, DwhitetheGamer said:

Which leads me to a suggestion, the Boop System.  On another MLP Forum I go to, there's a thing where when you click on an avatar or the name of the user, and the user options show up, there's a link to boop that user.  Both users can boop back and forth in a boop war, or just boop once and be done with it.  May I suggest a system for that usage?

So you are asking for some granularity of the reputation system on here? Sort of like 'Reactions' on Facebook and Discord? 

34 minutes ago, Jeric said:

So you are asking for some granularity of the reputation system on here? Sort of like 'Reactions' on Facebook and Discord? 

No, no.  I'm asking to bring a system where you can get a person's attention to things, specifically things like RPing and finished art requests.

10 minutes ago, DwhitetheGamer said:

No, no.  I'm asking to bring a system where you can get a person's attention to things, specifically things like RPing and finished art requests.

I can see the benefit to a hover menu that has other options (like "boop") ... or the more common 'poke'. One would be used to get another persons attention. 

6ce9f9e50d2c4bf4b8a8fd25ea415b56.png

Imagine that with Broohoof, Love, Shock, Boop, Hug, and Laugh? 

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I can see the benefit to a hover menu that has other options (like "boop") ... or the more common 'poke'. One would be used to get another persons attention. 

I actually think that would make for a neat expansion of the current Brohoof system. Much like Facebook's "Likes" as you show above or even Discord's "Reactions", It would offer members some simple additional ways to express their view on a post. :)

Whether or not that could be successfully implemented, well... ask the techs. :twi:

• Brohoof 3

So, I am interpreting this as something similar to the "Poke" button on Facebook. Is that correct? 

2 hours ago, DwhitetheGamer said:

Hello.  

I do have a suggestion, the Boop System.  On another MLP Forum I go to, there's a thing where when you click on an avatar or the name of the user, and the user options show up, there's a link to boop that user.  Both users can boop back and forth in a boop war, or just boop once and be done with it.  May I suggest a system for that usage?

One issue I see is that people could get annoyed with being booped. However, I know that there might be some who get a sense of enjoyment out of it. If there is also a way to mute/block boop notifications, either entirely, or from specific users, then I think that it could be a fun feature. 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Hah, you're eerily accurate. Check out this feature making its way into the next version of IPB. https://invisionpower.com/news/new-reactions-r1016/

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Lady Kiriness said:

One issue I see is that people could get annoyed with being booped.

I would be very very easily annoyed with this if this would ever be implemented like that. I got a pastry and a wolf hanging over me, wanting to boop my snoot all days >.> 

I think what Jeric has suggested sounds like a pretty good idea and I think it could be a pleasant addition. 

• Brohoof 2

A couple of things I glean from this:

1) Different types of 'Brohooves' being available, to include booping and... I dunno what.

2) Being able to Brohoof/Boop directly on a person's avatar rather than a specific post/status.

3) And inspired by this: Being able to direct the attention of a person to a post. A kind of "I recommend you look at this" notification.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Fhaolan said:

3) And inspired by this: Being able to direct the attention of a person to a post. A kind of "I recommend you look at this" notification.

That would be a value added feature to the board, and I would personally use that all the time. A recommend thread or post feature would be a novel idea. There have been many times that I have run across posts that mention something that I know would interest a friend on here, and I would usually link them in Skype, Discord, or post something in the topic just to bring it to their attention. Come to think of it, it also builds connections with people in subtle ways. It would reinforce the thought in the recipient of that type of notification that a specific person listens and pays attention to things that interest them. 

Laying it on thick here, but this is a brilliant idea. 

1 hour ago, Fhaolan said:

1) Different types of 'Brohooves' being available, to include booping and... I dunno what.

@Lavo told me he wants broofs. It's like a brohoof, but slightly more casual.

For the Mods, you could have a special Fluttershy Stare one ... just for lol's. 

Seriously though, I would recommend a laugh based one, and maybe something in the way of reassuring someone. I mentioned hug for that, but anything along those lines would work.

• Brohoof 3

Ah yes, the boop system on the other forum is pretty fun, and I'd like to see it added. Then we could have boop wars over on this forums now. To those who think it would be annoying, trust me its no more annoying than getting a brohoof or any other alert. Though if it comes here there needs to be something in place so you don't get spammed with boops. I could be wrong, but on the other place as soon as you look at the notification they can send you another boop. That could become very problematic on a forums that is 20x bigger.

On 31.3.2017 at 8:33 PM, Kiri said:

If there is also a way to mute/block boop notifications, either entirely, or from specific users, then I think that it could be a fun feature. 

I very much agree - I'm not a fan of excessive notifications, so having a boop-block would definitely be positive. In my opinion the feature would be fun as long as no one deliberately spams other users with it. :D