Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Foxy Socks

I could be wrong, but I feel like I have more posts than I should. I noticed when I was suddenly a phoenix, but I don't think I was that close before. I heard spmeone else say they may have been affected too, but others are not. Is this a joke/glitch or just me not paying attention to my post count.

I have already a feeling of what happens, but I need to check in a second. I'll be back...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm pretty sure it is related to the upgrade of the forum software.

If I'm not mistaking, status updates, comments and/or something else also count towards that number now. That's not 'post count' anymore, but 'Content Count' (You can view that in your profile page). That being said, they were recalculated after the upgrade.

That's not a joke, nor a bug, but how that counter works in IPB4.

By the way, I rarely post status updates, hence no extra bonus for me. :P

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

I thought it was an issue as well but I learned some threads don't count your posts. Such as mega threads like the one where you count to million where you could exploit it to grind up your rank.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

I'm pretty sure it is related to the upgrade of the forum software.

If I'm not mistaking, status updates, comments and/or something else also count towards that number now. That's not 'post count' anymore, but 'Content Count' (You can view that in your profile page). That being said, they were recalculated after the upgrade.

That's not a joke, nor a bug, but how that counter works in IPB4.

By the way, I rarely post status updates, hence no extra bonus for me. :P

You know, I did actually check this, and it's not what is happening. For the record, I did a post in Forum Games, a Status Update and a post in a test thread that I can't show, and only the very last one did count towards my total. I started with 2693 posts and I ended with 2694, but it's true that the Count feels a little... weird (?). I'm gonna pass this to Tech to see if this is just a feeling or a side effect or something more.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@Lightwing It's not? Well, today I learned. I was pretty sure it was it. Sorry for confusion. :rarity: There should be a cave section, where I could hide. :P 

Just for my own curiosity ~ How about blog entries? I'm not well oriented there. :P 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

Okaaay, so I bring updates from the other side of the blergh. :P

The weird post counts are a side effect of the rebuilding of old counters of posts and such from when we had IP.B 3. At this very moment, we are transferring things from the old forums, like Post Counts, Brohooves, and such, but due to how it works, it seems to have a weird side effect on the counters(for example, I did lose posts compared to my old profile), and it's not 100% confirmed to be back to its original values when the rebuilding is done. When it is 100% done, it should be back to normal, but until then, just don't mind it too much, other than the weird number it's harmless.

• Brohoof 1

OOC (ha)

Are some threads that may have lost pages count data too? Some were over 1000 pages and are showing under that amount. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've noticed a post count issue as well. Except, instead of gaining posts, I've lost posts. I was Crystal Pony a few days ago, even after the forum udpate and I had roughly 3500 posts...and the last few days, I've noticed I was set back to Pony with 2,700 posts.

I'm not sure what's going on.

Edited by Flutter Baby <3
  • Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Flutter Baby <3 said:

I've noticed a post count issue as well. Except, instead of gaining posts, I've lost posts. I was Crystal Pony a few days ago, even after the forum udpate and I had roughly 3500 posts...and the last few days, I've noticed I was set back to Pony with 2,700 posts.

I'm not sure what's going on.

Curious. How many posts have you made in Fan Clubs? They used to count toward posts until they were shut off. I'm wondering if the old content in those threads could be the culprit. If they inherited the current settings you may have lost your post count.

I can't tell if that is the case or not because I never really paid attention to post count and brohoof counts, so if that was the case I should have lost about 900 posts (the count that I was stuck at in the RFC). 

I will have to check the various archive sites to be certain. 

Jeric poofs

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Jeric said:

Curious. How many posts have you made in Fan Clubs? They used to count toward posts until they were shut off. I'm wondering if the old content in those threads could be the culprit. If they inherited the current settings you may have lost your post count.

I can't tell if that is the case or not because I never really paid attention to post count and brohoof counts, so if that was the case I should have lost about 900 posts (the count that I was stuck at in the RFC). 

I will have to check the various archive sites to be certain. 

Jeric poofs

I've got roughly 600 in FSFC and maybe 150 or so spread through out others. I was kinda thinking the same thing. But how long had the rule of post count not increasing in Fan Clubs been around? I do remember that they used to at one point in time and didn't think much of it and just kept posting.

Yea, looking at your archived profile, there's no real correlation to it being Fan Clubs...just kinda odd. 

Also, judging from your double post, it seems the forum doesn't auto merge double posts, like it used to.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, Flutter Baby <3 said:

I've got roughly 600 in FSFC and maybe 150 or so spread through out others. I was kinda thinking the same thing. But how long had the rule of post count not increasing in Fan Clubs been around? I do remember that they used to at one point in time and didn't think much of it and just kept posting.

That's actually a valid thought. I know that turning a forum 'off' for post-counting purposes didn't remove all the posts previously made from the count in the old version of the software. The thing wasn't sophisticated enough to do that. During the upgrade the statistics were kept until a background process ground through and re-indexed all the posts, PMs, statuses, etc. and rebuilt all the statistics. That background process is done now. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that any posts that you made in now 'non-counted' forums, or archived forums that are no longer visible (the Princess Twilight debate forum, old convention forums no longer hosted by us, etc.) were just not counted during the re-indexing.

However, I can't say for sure that this happened. Only @Lavo or one of the other sysadmin-types could really say for sure. I'd say it's a pretty good guess though.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...