Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever wondered what happens after death?

zerox

Wondered about it many times, but I have no answers. See, I'd like to believe there is some kind of afterlife, but I honestly find the pictures that religions sketch to be exceedingly unlikely and I honestly don't know what else to expect. I fear that this life is all there is, and that once it's gone you simply cease to exist. It's just that the idealistic part of me wants that notion to be wrong. I'd like to know for sure, but it's not like you can glimpse into the spirit world or anything, at least not in a scientifically testable manner.

I simply believe that we completely forget anything that happened as a human and then we get turned into lobsters. Lobsters. Lobsters. Lobsters

Image result for lobster

• Brohoof 5

I hope I get the chance to become a ghost, or something and haunt and play tricks on people :P

I kinda do hope there i an afterlife, with good people, not the ones that hurt others.

I've had different thoughts about it. I mean, I am a Christian and believe that there is an afterlife, but I have thought about what could be different types of afterlife. Not gonna go further than that to avoid debate.

I first wondered it when I was 4, and the answer that I would go to heaven with God was and is extremely unsettling because i could not comprehend how living for all eternity might be. Now I'm almost convinced nothing happens and I'm ok with that, but I still don't know for sure and prefer not think about something I can't know.

I've oftend wondered about this, too, and more than often I have come to the conclussion that I'm better of worrying about the present and doing my best in case this lifetime, for myself and others.

• 4 months later...

I do not want to be one to tell others what to believe. So..

I noticed that a lot of people use the term Afterlife. Also life after death. These terms are subject to examination. How can one live if they have died? Makes no sense to me. 

At any rate let me talk about something related but not exactly what you would expect. Here goes. Think for a moment about what we are made of. Matter right? Stuff like bones and soft tissues. Go further even smaller. Now we see atoms and basic elements then we get to electrons and protons etc... We are nothing more than a combination of carefully placed energetic particles floating in a sea of energy. Who is to say what we really are if we cannot really picture everything around us at that level. Also what is the sea of energy? Where does it come from. how does it interact with us? We only have begun understanding some of these things. Also what about dimension beyond the 3rd? Why does it seem that you can never get to the smallest division? Our brains are chemical reactions. What if these reactions are influenced by another type of energy not measured or discovered yet? I do not know what happens when death occurs. I do know from science that its not what we imagine. No one has risen from the dead to let us know. All we know is that the brain dies and is not the same. However if there is some influencing energy then what about that? Would it be us as far as our identity? Could it be that our earthly body is only a fraction of our being? Perhaps we are more than this 3d body we travel around in? These are some of the questions I have thought about. There are thoughts on possibilities that can be explored. 

I hope there is no heaven or hell as suggested in the bible. I do not want to spend eternity doing the same boring thing forever...

I want to hope that there is something beautiful after death. Either reincarnation so that we just keep coming back, creating life as thus life is a beautiful thing.. If only there weren't terrible people and accidents.

I tend to somewhat panic about the thought of death, I seldom think about it or face the fact that we're all going to die someday. All of us. Which means I'm really not alone with this stress.. Yet, I feel alone about it. It's not like you've got anyone with you once you die. No one to hold your hand while it all turns black, in that case. To never be with anyone anymore, forever. Not remembering the life I had, everything I learned.. It drives me crazy and very sad. I like to just think about life, here and now. Otherwise I'll go insane.

Let's just hope that we go someplace nice for now.. Together with all the people I love. I never want to lose them.

Edited by darkwingmare

I don't wanna sound emo or anything, but I find the thought that everything ends for me in a few decades sometimes quite calming actually, no matter how much I succeed or mess up in this life, it absolutely won't matter for me in 40 to 50 years.

I think an eternal afterlife would be like hell, no matter how it is, after a certain time you've seen everything there could ever exist and you go insane, but you still have an eternity in front of you, it would be truly terrifying. I think that there is really nothing after death, it would be just like before you were born, and I'am 100% okay wit that ^-^. I'am actually much more afraid of aging then death, that's a bit terrifying to me. But I still sometimes wonder how something gets a concousness. I'am quite sure that we are just objects like everything else, but that could mean that much more things have a concousness then we think. It could even be that everyone of our body parts have their own concousness, because there is a mental disorder called "alien hand syndrome" where your hand just does things on it's own without you having control over it, it's quite terrifying. But at least you have an excuse to grab someones butt ^_~

My belief is that we pass on into the Cosmic Force to be reborn when the universe is. ( Cyclical Universe theory) 

But that could all be pipe dreams and its just a big lights out. 

Oh yeah, I've definitely thought about what happens after death a lot. Reincarnation and something like heaven would be pretty cool and I wish it were real, but I do find it unrealistic. I'm leaning towards something like a nihilist view where nothing happens.

No, I don't. When you die, you die. That's it. There are no proof of anything else happening.

But what do I know? We have no actual answers to the question "What happens when we die?". For all I know, the thing known as the soul actually exist, and travels someplace else and gets reborn.

For reals though, i think there is. Call me crazy, but i am fascinated with the paranormal and there are some things out there that i don't think there is just nothing after we die.

"Magic is just science we haven't discovered yet" - Arthur C. Clarke

besides, most of the time i try to think of the present and having fun with my life. :)

As a Christian I do believe in heaven and as @TBD said, science determines the fact that our bodies will rot away after death, but our souls can't, I guess? I think there is some kind of heaven/afterlife, but I'm not so sure if I believe in Hell; the bible says that God is All-merciful and forgiving, so surely nobody would go to hell?

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, Midnight Blaze 98 said:

God is All-merciful and forgiving, so surely nobody would go to hell?

I do believe no one  deserve to go to hell. God give you a chance to repent and even you cannot after death, he will cease to see why you haven't not after death. and Maybe that reason is not your fault or beyond control. He will instead give you a chance to repent in purgatory.   

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but I realized that there isn't anythnig to wonder about it. It's exactly the same as before you were born.

The idea of oblivion after death has always been scary to me. But I would like to propose an interesting theory about what life is like after death. 

Consider this: 

Let's take the most scientific approach towards what consciousness is: some kind of chemical intereaction (like nerve cells and stuff) in our brain. (not quite sure about that, not a neurologist:P ). 

Now, let's imagine a teleporter. When we go through a teleporter, we are broken down to individual particles and regrouped at the other side of the teleporter. This means that the correct assembly of your particles can recreate 'you' with the same state of consciousness (I hope). 

So it is possible, that after millions, billions or even trillions of years after we die, there is an alien race advanced enough to recreate every single human being that ever lived by literally reassembling each subatomic particle!

But let's consider the worst case scenario: that such an advanced race didn't exist by the time the universe itself ceases to exist. Fear not! Because we know that if anything CAN happen, WILL happen, given enough (infinite) time. So whether we are in a universe going in cycles of life and death or a multiverse, given enough time, there will be a moment where the right combinations of particles (by random chance) recreates the EXACT you! 

So does this mean we need to wait for trillion and trillions of years? Nope! Without a functioning brain, you do not have a sense of time. Which is why the time between the moment of death and rebirth (say trillions of years) seems instantaneous! So it would seem as if our consciousness 'time traveled' into the future!

I think this is a reasonable and 'scientific' guess of what might happen :) .

(Unless of course, our consciousness isn't defined by just one point in space-time but requires a continuous flow of thought and once destroyed can never ever be reconstructed as per its definition. And that the mere action of teleportation destroys us forever and creates a perfect clone of ourself on the other side. A clone that doesn't know teleportation kills us and offers this perfect killing machine for everyone to try. But what a horrible world that would be! :D  )

I wonder about it all the time which often makes me feel frightened and the feeling haunts me quite a lot. Believing in God often gives me reassurance and helps with the fear though.

I think it's a perfectly human thing to wonder about what happens after we die. As for what I personally think happens, well, I don't know. Nobody knows what happens, science doesn't know, religion doesn't know, spirituality doesn't know, nobody really knows.

Do we get reincarnated as animals? Do we get reborn as another human being? Do we get reborn as beings of some other intelligent civilization in another galaxy? Nobody really knows and, well, we'll never know.