Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cancelled G3 Feature Film

PinkiePie97

A while back, I saw a post from a G3 Tumblr I follow that there were plans for a G3 feature film. Somehow (don't ask how because I'm honestly not sure myself), news that the first teaser for the G4 film is being released this week got me thinking about it again. This is the post I saw it from:
https://g3-facts.tumblr.com/post/141783864601/note-the-movie-in-question-is-not-a-charming

The picture is from a brochure that came with a G3 pony.
http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/98163635988

I did a little Googling and information on it is (unsurprisingly) scarce because I couldn't find much about it. I was about to give up when I found another post from the same Tumblr that found some information on the MLP website via the Wayback Machine. Unless someone manages to find more info, this is probably the most info you're going to find on it:
https://g3-facts.tumblr.com/post/141906512794/using-the-wayback-machine-on-mylittleponycom

I do want to point out a couple things about the post that I'm unsure of. One thing I'm not sure of is that is prnewswire said that Fat Rock films would be a combination of live action and digital animation. While it's possible it meant that the G3 movie would've had live action mixed in, I wonder if it meant they would be making live action films in addition to animated ones. The author of the post also said that they heard Fat Rock collapsed shortly after A Charming Birthday was made, but I checked out their website on the Wayback Machine and it was still up in early 2004 (A Charming Birthday was released in 2003). Maybe it was actually shortly after it was released? In any case, Fat Rock clearly wasn't around for long. For most of 2004, their website had a message that said "under construction" that lasted until it's last capture in early 2005.

While I don't think this would've been a big hit or anything, I do wonder what exactly would've come out of this.

Thoughts?

• Brohoof 2

A G3 movie with live action mixed in just spells disaster, I mean G3 is already widely panned(I haven't seen it myself so I can't give my opinion on it), and to make a movie with live action mixed in really just makes me dread the worst. Most children's movies that do that already pretty atrocious

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I remember reading about this in a magazine a long, long time ago. It had just as little information available, and unfortunately I don't remember the name of the magazine I found it in. This would have been in 2002.

I probably didn't pay too much mind to it because I wasn't a fan of previous generations of MLP during that time. I would have been in grade school or middle school as well, so liking "girly" stuff was frowned upon much more back in the day.

But I remember it being a snippet, and not a full article. Just a mention. Other movies mentioned in the magazine I think included a preview for The Adventures of Pluto Nash. Another rumored project lightly touched upon in a snippet was the eventual 2004 Garfield film, which was still in pre-production. I wish I still had it.

But both of those films were forgettable, and I don't think a film based on the MLP franchise would have gone over well in 2003, either.

Edited by Halberd

On 4/4/2017 at 7:05 AM, Whompy Whomperson said:

A G3 movie with live action mixed in just spells disaster, I mean G3 is already widely panned(I haven't seen it myself so I can't give my opinion on it), and to make a movie with live action mixed in really just makes me dread the worst. Most children's movies that do that already pretty atrocious

Live action MLP period would spell disaster. There are some things that work well in the realm of live action, some that might work, if the director is a good one and some that should never be made that way. X(

If it had happened, it probably would have been direct to video anyway.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Leave a Whisper said:

If it had happened, it probably would have been direct to video anyway.

Are you sure? One of the pictures I linked says it was going to theaters.

Just now, PinkiePie97 said:

Are you sure? One of the pictures I linked says it was going to theaters.

Not 100% sure, so you are correct. I just remember it was popular for a lot of movies and sequels to go straight to video around that time.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would have been a very interesting concept, mixing Animation with Live Action. I guess it would have reintroduced Megan or something similar to that.

I have no clue how a G3 Version would have worked out, since G3 was mostly very calm and didnt even had real villains, as far as i remember, so if the Movie would have been like the Animated ones, it might would have been a little uneventful. To uneventful for a Kids Movie, i would say. I dont remember any theathrical Kids Movies, without some sort of villain or at least a tiny bit action.

I still would have seen it.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Lex Destrosio said:

I think it would have been a very interesting concept, mixing Animation with Live Action. I guess it would have reintroduced Megan or something similar to that.

I have no clue how a G3 Version would have worked out, since G3 was mostly very calm and didnt even had real villains, as far as i remember, so if the Movie would have been like the Animated ones, it might would have been a little uneventful. To uneventful for a Kids Movie, i would say. I dont remember any theathrical Kids Movies, without some sort of villain or at least a tiny bit action.

I still would have seen it.

Well people do like slice of life type stuff. It's why sitcoms are still popular. But yeah, your right kids do prefer action in their movies.

1 hour ago, Leave a Whisper said:

Well people do like slice of life type stuff. It's why sitcoms are still popular. But yeah, your right kids do prefer action in their movies.

Dont get me wrong, i like slice of life type stuff, My Little Pony Tales is my favorite Series out of everything, that Mlp has done so far, ( G4 is a little bit over the top, with the Jokes and characters for me sometimes ) i just think that for a real big Movie, that wouldnt be enough. Except its some sort of Comedy Movie perhaps or a romantic Movie...hmm, even though i have no idea, how such a movie would have turned out. G3 was generally very calm minded, the only thing that really stuck to my memory was the Movie Twinkle Wish Adventure ( and maybe the christmas special with Minty ) which had a few jokes and was actually pretty good but still, for a big movie, i dont think it would have earned that much Money, considering an animaton/live action hybrid would have cost a lot of money to begin with, i think.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Lex Destrosio said:

Dont get me wrong, i like slice of life type stuff, My Little Pony Tales is my favorite Series out of everything, that Mlp has done so far, ( G4 is a little bit over the top, with the Jokes and characters for me sometimes ) i just think that for a real big Movie, that wouldnt be enough. Except its some sort of Comedy Movie perhaps or a romantic Movie...hmm, even though i have no idea, how such a movie would have turned out. G3 was generally very calm minded, the only thing that really stuck to my memory was the Movie Twinkle Wish Adventure ( and maybe the christmas special with Minty ) which had a few jokes and was actually pretty good but still, for a big movie, i dont think it would have earned that much Money, considering an animaton/live action hybrid would have cost a lot of money to begin with, i think.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

• 1 month later...

This brings me back to the horrible live action of Disney :unamused: now not saying that every live action was horrible, but a lot of them were and Hasbro should not have ever thought of live action :dry: it would ruin any generation of my little pony I mean look at the Smurfs and the Chipmunks they were pretty bad in my opinion why must live action take over the world :eww:  a lot of movies and cartoons did not need live action they were perfect the way they were so hopefully Hasbro will never think of live action again. :baconmane:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/11/2017 at 10:09 AM, chaosprincess said:

This brings me back to the horrible live action of Disney :unamused: now not saying that every live action was horrible, but a lot of them were and Hasbro should not have ever thought of live action :dry: it would ruin any generation of my little pony I mean look at the Smurfs and the Chipmunks they were pretty bad in my opinion why must live action take over the world :eww:  a lot of movies and cartoons did not need live action they were perfect the way they were so hopefully Hasbro will never think of live action again. :baconmane:

Ugh. Those movies were boring and awful. I hear they're doing Woody Woodpecker next. 

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

Ugh. Those movies were boring and awful. I hear they're doing Woody Woodpecker next. 

*smacks my face* I don't even want to imagine what that's going to look like CGI, hand drawn and animation I can see those doing well more work is put into them, but live action now not all live action is bad, but a good chunk of them have been horrible we should just go back to the good ol days when things were hand drawn.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I would like a little movie from g3 with some action. Yes they don't need a big bad or tons of action but something that gets them rild up like nightmares and fighting those off can work for me. Yes the it was all a dream is annoying but allows there to be actual conflict that effects them irl.

Imagine if there was some pony who just moved into Ponyville for the first time ever in their lives and began getting nightmares after some freaky incidents. We see how bad their interpretation is, see their nightmares (where their action would be) and how this effects their relationships outside of sleep. This can even be a little mystery as the others try to find out how they can help.

so in the end, it will still be close to the normal G3, no real villain, no ig stakes, but it will have genuine conflict and if done right a good resolution.

also idk about live action, I just know something that was made for animation typically should stay in animation.