Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web The friendly side of the internet

catnet

It's not exactly a secret that many people out there on the internet misuse their gift of being able to explore this vast, often wonderful land, and spend their time bringing negativity to even the most harmless of subjects. I'm sure most of us can name places where behaviour like that is prevalent even if we don't explore the internet too much; heck, perhaps some people would have a harder time naming places relatively free from it.

However, I'd like to change that even a little. There's loads of lovely shining communities out there that simply don't get complimented on their positivity enough, or that are taken for granted even, and with how often the crappier sides of the internet are called out and discussed, these good communities seriously deserve some more recognition and praise, lest we lose ourselves in a mindset that there's nothing more than toxicity out there (and having fallen into that in the past, albeit for real life, I can say it's certainly not the most happy, motivational mindset out there ^^; ).

So, let's bring some more attention to these pleasant communities if we can! Whether it's a website or a forum, a channel's friendly comments section (yes, those exist) or some other type of community you know about regardless of its size, feel free to talk about and praise them here, even mention positive moments on them that really struck you if you can :) Obviously for a lot of you this place will come to mind, and that's okay if you want to compliment it, but please do try to mention some other community while you're at it. ^_^ Here's a few examples I know of~

• Reddit, while obviously pretty well-known, really caught me off-guard with how civil and warm many of its members can be when I joined it earlier this year. Granted, I'm subscribed to the more positive subreddits on there like r/aww and r/wholesomememes and quite a many more, but every time I've browsed around elsewhere (even in some of the more relatively inflamed subreddits), I've found that any drama seems to be handled fairly well and that debates have more depth and thoughtfulness to them than one might expect. Whereas I have my worries elsewhere about going too deep into the comments section, on Reddit, I've yet to be disappointed :)
  • On YouTube, Robin Seplut's channel definitely comes to mind, even if it's to be expected considering it's a channel about cats :P What  I love here is that the comments section and Robin are on very friendly terms; the former often thanking him for the daily vids/caring for the cats around him, admiring the new cats or giving Robin guidance on how to be less intimidating to them, while Robin replies to many people with a friendly "Hello!" and "Thank you! :)". This further supports my theory that cats are the secret to world peace :?
  • While I'm not certain how it is nowadays (though from a quick glance, it looks much the same), there was a forum I joined a few years ago for people like me dealing with social issues; despite not being very active in it, the friendliness there meant a lot to my otherwise cynical past self, so much so that it probably helped me out just as much as the advice I received from there did. Everyone seemed chill and with each other's best interests in heart; for whatever reason, I always remember this one member that, despite making some fairly vague and undescriptive topics (not terrible topics mind you, just sorta hard to follow on from the OP), still received some friendly replies and compliments from people that tried to make a discussion out of the thoughts he put forth. I really wish I was a more competent socializer at the time, I'm sure I'd have made some great friends ^_^

I'll leave it at that for the time being; looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say! :)