Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cloud of choice?

Kaneki

What is your cloud provider of choice? There's so many out there, let's hear what you use.

I happen to use VULTR (http://vultr.com). They're owned by a large datacenter and co-location company out of New Jersey called Choopa, meaning they have a lot of server locations, and I think some of the offerings are a bit nicer than what DO offers for the price, if not comparible.

(edited)

Digital Ocean for me. They offer a fairly decent range of prices and options for various virtual machines. I can't remember the OS options, but I think I remember seeing BSD; I use Ubuntu on mine. It's nice and easy to ssh into, tweak and basically run whatever kind of software architecture you want on it. Then again though, I'm one developer with a few pet projects versus some big company wanting to deploy and manage a ton of stuff.

Edited by Celtore

None, because The Cloud is a stupid concept in my mind and I don't trust it :P I don't trust other peoples' hardware in general either, but it's at least better if I have full access to it (ie: a dedicated server.)

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, AppleDashPoni said:

None, because The Cloud is a stupid concept in my mind and I don't trust it :P I don't trust other peoples' hardware in general either, but it's at least better if I have full access to it (ie: a dedicated server.)

Loser.

Actually, I agree somewhat. I just don't have the budget for a dedicated server at the moment, but some don't have budgets for it ever. :P

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Cloggedone said:

Loser.

Actually, I agree somewhat. I just don't have the budget for a dedicated server at the moment, but some don't have budgets for it ever. :P

To be fair, OVH offers some fairly low-cost dedicated servers in their SoYouStart and Kimsufi lines.

1 hour ago, AppleDashPoni said:

To be fair, OVH offers some fairly low-cost dedicated servers in their SoYouStart and Kimsufi lines.

Not good enough for my budget, at the moment. Perhaps I'll wait until then.

The use case and organization (sole proprietor, enthusiast, small business, enterprise) will cause much variation in how I approach this question. If analytics and Hadoop/Spark support is needed, Azure, Google, and AWS will be better solutions (haven't looked into Rackspace personally). 

For basic development, or for the student, hobbyist, tinkerer type, I would suggest that DigitalOcean is fine. Vultr, VPSie, Scaleway, and Linode would be my options before DigitalOcean. I'm personally satisfied with VPSie. 

Hello @Cloggedone

Considering that this topic pertains to the realm of technology inquiries, it shall be relocated to Button Mash's Code Library.

Have a lovely day.