Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is supermario mash brothers a rip off of Mortal Combat

~Natural Beauty~

So my personal opinion is that it is a rip off. Because all Mario that has is different is multiplayer and totally different characters. I prefer mortal combat over supermario mash brothers is all the gore and awesome fatalities. So I want to r your opinion is on this topic?

While I've never played any Mortal Kombat games, aren't they quite a bit more different to the Smash Bros series than that? I've never heard them being about knocking the opponent off-screen through accumulating damage for example (all gameplay I've seen involves lowering their health to zero), the stages I've seen have always been very simple and flat (which isn't a bad thing of course) whereas in Smash Bros there can be a lot of vastly different layouts with their own gimmicks, there are multiple rounds instead of one uninterrupted brawl... probably a lot of other major differences in core gameplay too that people who play both series would know. As such, I'm not sure if 'rip off' is the right term to use here? They're both fighting games, sure (in the case of Smash Bros, fighting/party depending on who you ask), but what they're both doing is far too different for either one to be stealing from or even paying much attention to the other.

Now if we're talking about which one is the superior of the two, well, idk really? I guess it's different strokes for different people; if you'd like a gory, traditional fighting game that takes itself fairly seriously, go for Mortal Kombat. If you want something more quirky and welcoming which celebrates one's personal history with Nintendo, Smash Bros is probably more up your street. Either preference is totally fine; me personally, I'm much more a fan of the Smash Bros. series, though I guess that's to be expected since I've played none of the Mortal Kombats :P

• Brohoof 3

Hi, @Queen Chrysalis Servant! Since your thread does not cover a political or otherwise heavily controversial topic, it'll be just fine in Media Discussion rather than in Debate Pit. Thanks, and happy discussing! :) 

• Brohoof 1

Do you mean "Super Smash Bros"? If so, this isn't even a debate, because no. Super Smash bros is not a rip-off of Mortal Kombat, the only real similarities the two have is that they're both fighting games. Smash Bros let's you play with up to 4 or even 8 characters on a stage at once, has items that drop on the stage at random, works on a percentage meter where the goal is to knock your opponents off the stage, etc. Meanwhile MK is a more traditional fighting game where you're supposed to beat your opponents health bar down, has a larger list of complicated combos, has "Fatalities" as you said, etc...

The two games are pretty much completely different things in terms of gameplay, characters, setting and everything. Not to mention, by your logic wouldn't Mortal Kombat also be a rip-off of say...Street Fighter, which came first? SF and MK are closer in similarity to MK and Smash after all...

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, RareBase said:

Do you mean "Super Smash Bros"? If so, this isn't even a debate, because no. Super Smash bros is not a rip-off of Mortal Kombat, the only real similarities the two have is that they're both fighting games. Smash Bros let's you play with up to 4 or even 8 characters on a stage at once, has items that drop on the stage at random, works on a percentage meter where the goal is to knock your opponents off the stage, etc. Meanwhile MK is a more traditional fighting game where you're supposed to beat your opponents health bar down, has a larger list of complicated combos, has "Fatalities" as you said, etc...

The two games are pretty much completely different things in terms of gameplay, characters, setting and everything. Not to mention, by your logic wouldn't Mortal Kombat also be a rip-off of say...Street Fighter, which came first? SF and MK are closer in similarity to MK and Smash after all...

I have not thought about street fighter being a rip off of mortal combat

The only thing Mortal Kombat and Super Smash Bros. have in common is that they're both fighting games. Aside from that, they are completely different like the night is to the day and have their own respective audiences and fandoms.

• Brohoof 2

smash bros and mortal kombat? omg not at all. my friend do you even play fighting games? 

the traditional fighting games like MOrtal Kombat, Tekken, Street Fighter and the Marvel vs games are all static beat em up games, you dont get much in the way of free movement, theyre proper button mash games too. Smash bros is entirely different type of beat em up, there are items to aide you and annoy others, they also affect the stage, you are much more free to move around the multi level stages, its a very 3D platformer fighter and there are fighting combos, but theyre not as complex as the traditional fighting games. smash bros now relies on the smash ball function to show off the huge special attacks and powers of each character. 

• Brohoof 2

You can't be a ripoff of something if you aren't trying to be anything like it, don't look anything like it, have exactly zero of the same mechanics and share no common themes or characterization. :P

Some would even argue they aren't even the same genre. Many don't consider Super Smash Bros a fighting game at all as it shares almost no characteristics of any fighting game in existence from BlazBlue to Street Fighter, Powerstone to Marvel vs Capcom.

The multiplayer Megazord fighting minigame from Power Rangers The Movie on the Super Nintendo is much more likely to be considered a ripoff than Super Smash Bros.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, Queen Chrysalis Servant said:

I have not thought about street fighter being a rip off of mortal combat

I agree with what everyone else has said. Comparing SSB to MK is like comparing Super Mario Bros. to Metal Slug. Also, there's no way Street Fighter ripped off Mortal Kombat, because SF is a year OLDER.