Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

will MLP movie 2017 be too sweet?

Weak Freak

I just wonder if this movie that´s coming will be too sugary sweet.

don´t get me wrong, the animation looks nicely made and smooth from what I could see from the Movie trailer here. but I´m worried that it´s gonna be so sugary sweet that it´s gonna give me diabetes just by watching the first 10 minutes of the movie. compared to the series, I like it better when it was simpler but had more sharp movements made it look more edgy. if animated movies were just flowing and moving all the time, it´s like watching water moving around carefully, which can make one seasick from watching.

but I dunno really, I haven´t seen anything from the movie besides the trailer, so let´s hope for the best that we´re not drowning in sugarsweet moments lol xP

-Weak Freak

I don't think the movie will be that sappy. Yes it will have it's "free hugs" moments, but taken to a reasonable pace. The trailer just had a too sweetened touch accompanied with a lot of glitter. After all, it's a little girls movie that considers a wider audience (from parents to fans).

• Brohoof 2

It will most likely retain the general dynamic that comes with the show's demographic in terms of target age--seven to ten year old girls--and tone, but because this movie has a much larger budget, higher stakes, and generally doesn't have to follow the same rules, it could be given a slight edge to make it stand out in a way that MLP isn't known for. That would definitely make some bronies happy though others would prefer it to go much further. For casual fans, they couldn't care less so long as the movie turns out really good upon completion.

Edited by Ganondorf8
Added a bit more.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm hoping for something like The Rugrats Movie, which featured plenty of material that kids and adults could appreciate while staying true to the source material.

That movie had plenty of serious moments despite being a kids film, and it had a reasonable amount of "sweetness."

• Brohoof 3

let´s all hope that it´ll be better than how the trailer was.

if not, I´m so gonna doodle all over the movie. I got my pen-tail and not afraid to use it! *ready and loaded to doodle* D8<

I wouldn't expect the movie to be overly saccharine. The show already contains a fair amount of conflict and some surprisingly dark themes, especially in episodes like The Return of Harmony, The Cutie-Remark and Twilight's Kingdom. Yet at the same time it's unreasonable to expect anything overtly grimdark or devoid of cutesy moments given the target demographic. I'd hope for a nice balance of fantasy conflict and sweet moments like the show. In fact one of the things that draws me to the show is the lack of negativity and mean-spiritless, so I shouldn't be bothered by it. I usually like the sweet stuff. :)

I think the team said they didn't want the show to feel like an extended episode. So maybe it will be like a traditional two-part episode but with the stakes raised considerably and a much more elaborate quest (maybe like Lord of the Rings but not as long or complicated).

Edited by Tiny Hoofs

Rebeca Dart (Art director) and the lead VFX artist (I forget his name) have claimed on Twitter that the animation in the movie is not indicative of the animation in the final product. I would imagine the trailer was compiled by an alternate studio.

Onto the aesthetics as shown - presuming this is an accurate reflection of the art style - it's certainly more rounded and soft, which I think adds to the already highly neotenous features of the characters. I would say they appear more cute, but as for how this single variable will affect the overall mood of the work, I would imagine not nearly as much as other aspects such as writing and direction. Luckily, Meghan and Jayson are doing just this. Considering they have been working on the series since the very beginning, and in my opinion have a solid grasp on the general air of the series, who better to be in these particular roles.