Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kids in the Brony Fandom

Neopone

I made a video about kids in the brony fandom. Feel free to leave whatever feedback you want, but just remember that this is all my opinion. There is some swearing in this video, just a heads up.

• Brohoof 5

Very good points, first off. I also do agree that it shouldn't matter if a fandom has kids in general - maturity is the main factor that needs to be considered. I mostly think a fandom gets less entertaining when massive profits are put as a priority over quality, and that's not always the case, as a fandom can have that and still be good, but gets overwhelming when it's done enough masse to the point you see said fandoms mentioned in every single thing possible. But, many people will enjoy things no matter what, so a fandom being "ruined" doesn't mean it will end, so if anyone says (X) is ruining the fandom, don't let that get to you.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

Other youtubers who have little experience make really annoying intros or outros, or have audio or pacing issues, I feel you have all those covered and I like your logic and agree.

I wasn't always like that. I used to be really unorganized until I got an extremely hash criticism from the mlp subreddit (of course) and I realized my problems. Also thanks for the feed back /)

I have an issue with a specific presentation of your video, and editing technique, and also question the judgment of posting it on here without a thorough evaluation of whether the visual aids line up with the facts. 

For your benefit, and anyone else viewing this topic, this is the thread you mentioned. 

You visually show several well known members of this specific forum. @Dark Qiviut and @Mesme Rize among them. Note they were easy as hell to pick out, because they were both well known, and have not changed their avatars in a long while. They are key fixtures here. My issue is that you misrepresented their views on the topic in question. They are not against 12 year olds in the fandom, they welcome them. They are against giving them a different designation than the adult fans. 

Your video makes a point to contrast these opinions with yours, but the rhetorical art you post here (your opinion) isn't lining up with the examples you are showing. As you snap shot their posts, you had commentary stating that they flamed your friend. None of the example users 'flamed' your friend. The effect is that this is either bad form, or bad form and editing.

It's important in any speech based communication that you ensure your visual aids line up with the facts as that impacts your credibility and by extension, how your art is viewed. This may be an opinion editorial, but the rules that one learns in a generic Comm class about ethics and integrity are still valid for op eds and opinion pieces. 

My suggestions to you, going forward and perhaps to revise this specific entry, is to take special care to follow ethical rules in content creation, or take care that your presentation does not give the knowledgeable viewer a feeling that your work is predicated on false assertions thereby causing people to question the overall validity of a well crafted message. 

• Brohoof 7

@Neopone I think that you make it yourself a bit too easy to take a few comments from some people here (me included) and just think that we are hating on 12 year olds, which is not true at all and flaming is a very extreme term, considering we only told our points. It was never our intend to attack your friend or insulting him, we where merely giving our 2 cents on this term.

Yes, i also don't like immature people. But there are grown ups in their 30s and even 40s who act very immature, so this is not a question of age for me. I know 8 year olds who are very well behaved and can act very reasonable.

• Brohoof 8

I think it was a bit of an exaggeration to say that the "hateful and flaming" comments presented in your video were all that hateful. They were disagreements sure, but they were hardly venomous or written like a personal attack towards the OP. From my point of view at least, they didn't "freak out" as so much expressed opinions that having a separate designation for younger members of the fandom was unnecessary. A reasonable enough argument to make and something that I don't feel shouldn't have come across as all that surprising for the thread. Was not the point to gauge approval or disapproval towards the idea after all?

In any case, I'm not the kind of guy who likes to segregate people into different labeled groups. If people choose to present themselves with a label, that's perfectly fine, but I personally prefer to see the individual rather than whatever group they claim to represent, because every face brings with it their own thoughts and perspective to the table, regardless of age or experience, and that's something I feel should be cherished.

• Brohoof 5

>when your post gets in the video

I actually jumped when I saw my post. Wasn't expecting that.

That aside, I have to agree with a lot of people here about the comment situation. You made it out as if people were really attacking the OP, but they were just respectfully disagreeing with the Junior Brony thing. The whole situation was kind of misrepresented, which is something you should be careful of when talking about something like this to your audience. But that's just what I think. Otherwise, I think you made some great points here that I never really thought about myself and I can agree 100%. 

Edited by PonyLaces
  • Brohoof 2

On 16/4/2017 at 7:33 PM, Mesme Rize said:

@Neopone I think that you make it yourself a bit too easy to take a few comments from some people here (me included) and just think that we are hating on 12 year olds, which is not true at all and flaming is a very extreme term, considering we only told our points. It was never our intend to attack your friend or insulting him, we where merely giving our 2 cents on this term.

Yes, i also don't like immature people. But there are grown ups in their 30s and even 40s who act very immature, so this is not a question of age for me. I know 8 year olds who are very well behaved and can act very reasonable.

I didn't mean it as you "hated 12 year olds," I meant the term "Junior Brony" or "age discrimination." Sorry for the confusion

>when your post gets in the video

I actually jumped when I saw my post. Wasn't expecting that.

That aside, I have to agree with a lot of people here about the comment situation. You made it out as if people were really attacking the OP, but they were just respectfully disagreeing with the Junior Brony thing. The whole situation was kind of misrepresented, which is something you should be careful of when talking about something like this to your audience. But that's just what I think. Otherwise, I think you made some great points here that I never really thought about myself and I can agree 100%. 

I'm confused what you mean by "miss represented." I tried to lay things out as clearly as I could. I did exaggerate a bit though, you are right. When I was recording I hadn't seen the post since it came out, but when I was editing I realized that they weren't TOO bad, but I still needed evidence for my claim 

I have an issue with a specific presentation of your video, and editing technique, and also question the judgment of posting it on here without a thorough evaluation of whether the visual aids line up with the facts. 

For your benefit, and anyone else viewing this topic, this is the thread you mentioned. 

You visually show several well known members of this specific forum. @Dark Qiviut and @Mesme Rize among them. Note they were easy as hell to pick out, because they were both well known, and have not changed their avatars in a long while. They are key fixtures here. My issue is that you misrepresented their views on the topic in question. They are not against 12 year olds in the fandom, they welcome them. They are against giving them a different designation than the adult fans. 

Your video makes a point to contrast these opinions with yours, but the rhetorical art you post here (your opinion) isn't lining up with the examples you are showing. As you snap shot their posts, you had commentary stating that they flamed your friend. None of the example users 'flamed' your friend. The effect is that this is either bad form, or bad form and editing.

It's important in any speech based communication that you ensure your visual aids line up with the facts as that impacts your credibility and by extension, how your art is viewed. This may be an opinion editorial, but the rules that one learns in a generic Comm class about ethics and integrity are still valid for op eds and opinion pieces. 

My suggestions to you, going forward and perhaps to revise this specific entry, is to take special care to follow ethical rules in content creation, or take care that your presentation does not give the knowledgeable viewer a feeling that your work is predicated on false assertions thereby causing people to question the overall validity of a well crafted message. 

I understand where you're coming from here, but I think you misunderstood me. If you would have read the post that I edited in and listened to my dialogue you would have known that I was portraying them as not "against kids," but against the term "junior brony." People can interpret what they see however they want to and make decisions based on their interpretations. The use of the term "flamed" was blatant exaggeration." As far as editing goes, I do what I want. If you think it's bad I don't really give a shit, I'm not changing how I make my videos. I'm not "revising," or "remaking" anythings. I really don't care how "big" people are on the forums, I can put their comments in if I want, they put their responses publicly on the topic. No need to tag them and bring them into this by the way, but I'm glad you did though because they had good things to say.

Everybody just needs to calm down, at the end of the day I'm just some guy on the internet who has an opinion that you and some others might not agree with.

Ah. Well this is in the visual fan art section, so I assume you wanted constructive criticism on how to best craft a message that your intended viewer or respondent would understand clearly. After all, a communication failure can render a piece with a salient point or two a neutered message. I was speaking to content editing, and not the technical elements. 

The whole purpose of communication in this medium is to ensure the viewer understands the intent, which is ultimately the responsibility of the artist. 

Full disclosure, I joined this forum in 2014 when my then 12 year old daughter wasn't yet old enough to be a member here (as this place allows only ages13 and up). She 'recruited' me into the fandom. She considered herself a Brony for a while at that point. 

So it doesn't take a Nobel Laureate to figure out I happen to agree that a 12 year old most certainly can be a Brony. It's the crafting of the message with the visuals that I think could have been done better. The message was good, the art needs polish. This is a rare opportunity for feedback like this, since most people don't upload a video exactly in this sort of situation. 

FWIW, if you took the time to look into the post habits of the people you took screenshots of, you would find they have a strong reputation of calmly but passionately discussing any manner of topics here on MLPF.  I can also say from having personal interactions with just about everyone who weighed in here, calm is par for the course. This isn't your typical forum. This isn't YouTube. This isn't 4chan. Calm is the standard here. 

Finally, even just a guy on the internet can do a tremendous amount of good (or ill) with some effort. I'm just a guy, yet I've impacted a handful of lives. I know plenty here and elsewhere who have deeply impacted mine. 

10 hours ago, Jeric said:

Ah. Well this is in the visual fan art section, so I assume you wanted constructive criticism on how to best craft a message that your intended viewer or respondent would understand clearly. After all, a communication failure can render a piece with a salient point or two a neutered message. I was speaking to content editing, and not the technical elements. 

The whole purpose of communication in this medium is to ensure the viewer understands the intent, which is ultimately the responsibility of the artist. 

Full disclosure, I joined this forum in 2014 when my then 12 year old daughter wasn't yet old enough to be a member here (as this place allows only ages13 and up). She 'recruited' me into the fandom. She considered herself a Brony for a while at that point. 

So it doesn't take a Nobel Laureate to figure out I happen to agree that a 12 year old most certainly can be a Brony. It's the crafting of the message with the visuals that I think could have been done better. The message was good, the art needs polish. This is a rare opportunity for feedback like this, since most people don't upload a video exactly in this sort of situation. 

FWIW, if you took the time to look into the post habits of the people you took screenshots of, you would find they have a strong reputation of calmly but passionately discussing any manner of topics here on MLPF.  I can also say from having personal interactions with just about everyone who weighed in here, calm is par for the course. This isn't your typical forum. This isn't YouTube. This isn't 4chan. Calm is the standard here. 

Finally, even just a guy on the internet can do a tremendous amount of good (or ill) with some effort. I'm just a guy, yet I've impacted a handful of lives. I know plenty here and elsewhere who have deeply impacted mine. 

I put a disclosure in my comments and I'm done arguing with you. If it still bothers you than you can lock this topic.

I will just say this. 

Be careful when you want to use specific people as examples. When you are taking someone's words and you are displaying them for everybody to see, be careful. It is easy to misinterpret words or to present them in the wrong way. I for one would rather make it a habit to ask people first whether you can use people's posts or words in your videos, before putting them there. That way, you might get a chance to discuss more thoroughly with them and reach a better understanding of what they meant. 

Otherwise I think the video is overly fine. I liked hearing the topic about younger fans inside the brony fandom, they are definitely there, as Jeric points out ^_^

• Brohoof 1