Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is this movie really such a big deal?

ggg-2

Yes, but this is the first Theatrical movie of the main "FIM" series, and not the EQG spin-off. They're putting a lot of effort into this, with all the celebrity voices and the new animation to make it fit for the big screen, they didn't do that for EQG. I'd definitely say this movie is a pretty big deal.

• Brohoof 11

As far as I know, Rainbow Rocks, Friendship Games, and Legend of the Everfree were straight to DVD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

To answer your question as to "why the 2017 movie is such a big deal", this is the first MLP:FiM movie which is: #1 canon, #2 full feature film running time, #3 not about humans, #4 in a completely new art style.

^So yeah lol. I hope that clears things up for ya :P

• Brohoof 2

This one's getting a modified art style, a wide theatrical release (as opposed to the special event releases of the first two Equestria Girls films), celebrity voices, and a broader marketing push. It's the first time many will see these ponies on the big screen. Personally, the gloss isn't terribly interesting to me, but it is a bigger deal than the Equestria Girls films for those production values alone, even if it's unlikely to have a significant impact on the show proper. 

Equestria Girls feels like a series of extended episodes that introduce a whole new universe of human counterparts. Same Flash animation style and mostly the same voice cast as FiM, just set in a whole new universe.

In contrast, the film in October has an updated art style, features a bunch of new characters, expands the world of FiM without leaving it entirely, features a celebrity cast, and features a song from a pop star (Sia) who will supposedly have a ponysona in the movie, kind of like Gazelle (Shakira IRL) in Zootopia.

40 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

As far as I know, Rainbow Rocks, Friendship Games, and Legend of the Everfree were straight to DVD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rainbow Rocks got a limited theatrical release (just like the first one), but that's it.

And to answer the OP's question, yes, as a couple others have said, only the first 2 Equestria Girls movies just got a limited theatrical release. The movie being released in October is getting a wide release and is being made for theaters (I'm not sure if that was the case for Equestria Girls, though I doubt it).

Edited by PinkiePie97

To echo the others, EQG1 and Rainbow Rocks are limited theatrical releases and available for just a few days (if not less) in them. The FIM Movie (with all the celebrities and, IIRC, Ingram working with an orchestra) is being developed purely for a wide-range theatrical release with brand-new (and supposedly more sophisticated) animation technology in Toon Boom. Unlike EQG, more money and effort are being spent for its production.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

EQG were niche, very limited releases that made most of their money from DVD sales.

This is a major motion picture, meaning that it's getting a nationwide release including international distribution. Very big difference here.

I haven't watched Equestria Girls so I can't comment on its quality. But I've always been put off by its art style, setting and the forced incorporation of humans into the series. I might give it a try at some point for the sake of fairness, but it's never looked too appealing to me.

I'm much more excited about the My Little Pony movie and I think it looks far more promising considering the talent going into it. Plus it actually has the Mane Six as ponies...as they should be! :D

• Brohoof 1

From a financial and marketing perspective, the MLP movie is a big deal for Hasbro which is why celebrities are being brought on board to voice characters alongside the regular voice cast who've been there since the start. I don't believe they've done much other than the brief trailer they had the other week--despite its flaws it was still something instead of nothing--to hype things up but I'm sure this will increase as we get closer to the release. For Hasbro, there is also a personal perspective. Their most recent movie--you all know which one--failed miserably so they probably want this one to make up for it and then some so as to avoid another disaster.

On the subject of Equestria Girls, only the first two were released in theatres, albeit with a limited release. The other two were released straight onto DVD though they did debut on both television and Netflix at roughly the same time in both 2015 and 2016 respectively.

Yeah it kind of is! :please:

Because it's the first MOVIE with PONIES :dash:

And Hasbro REALLY makes it a big deal because they're using a different animation software for it! I mean like, holy buck! They made 3 movies before but this is the only one not made in flash! So what gives? pc-pumm.png

I guess they wanna make something really great. cl-pp-shrug.png

Something, that satisfies everyone, and make MLP great again! (as if that was neccessary, huh-hu :orly:)

On 4/19/2017 at 4:42 AM, FizzyGreen said:

Yeah it kind of is! :please:

Because it's the first MOVIE with PONIES :dash:

And Hasbro REALLY makes it a big deal because they're using a different animation software for it! I mean like, holy buck! They made 3 movies before but this is the only one not made in flash! So what gives? pc-pumm.png

I guess they wanna make something really great. cl-pp-shrug.png

Something, that satisfies everyone, and make MLP great again! (as if that was neccessary, huh-hu :orly:)

It's the first movie with ponies? The DVD on my shelf titled My Little Pony The Movie says hello.

Plus, despite what some people think, MLP has Always been a very popular brand. It wouldn't have survived and thrived for over 30 years otherwise.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

It depends on who you ask. Some people think it's gonna be the movie that makes bronies relevant again, some people think it's just gonna be one of those movies that you watch when you're bored.

• Brohoof 1

Well, if successful, this film can help reinvigorate the popularity of the series.  Also, fans have been clamouring for an in-universe film since the first EQG film, and I'm sure plenty of fans at the time heard the words "feature length film", only to have their hopes dashed when it ended up being set in another universe.  I, like many people, have grown fond of the EQG series, but I do think it's high time we get an in-universe film.  The celebrity cast and the new animation software only serve to further draw attention to it.  I just hope it's not a big flop and I certainly hope it's not too much of a sell-out film.  

10 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Actually, the first 2 got a limited release.

Really?, meh, ok so I am 90% right still. 

Anyway, what makes this super special is the SCALE at which it is, not the fact that it is.