Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Death

Lenny

I would actually be super impressed if they did, but I have many doubts on it. If any team could handle such a heavy subject it is DHX. While the episode is very iffy among the fanddm, Tanks for the Memories did sorta cover the death of a pet in a subtle way, which I was impressed by that too.

• Brohoof 2

23 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I would actually be super impressed if they did, but I have many doubts on it. If any team could handle such a heavy subject it is DHX. While the episode is very iffy among the fanddm, Tanks for the Memories did sorta cover the death of a pet in a subtle way, which I was impressed by that too.

They've dealt with mature topics before. 

I think the show might be able to cover the topic of death. If there is something that they could try to cover, would be Applejack's parents. But they could easily screw that one up. 

It would be interesting to see them try. 

• Brohoof 1

Coulda sworn there was some kinda official statement that 'ponies don't die'

Or something to that effect, when some writer was asked about immortality in relation to Twi's ascension

52 minutes ago, The_Gobo said:

Or something to that effect, when some writer was asked about immortality in relation to Twi's ascension

Meghan McCarthy stated that Twilight won't outlive her friends. Some took that to mean she wasn't immortal. Some took that to mean that the ReMane 5 will eventually ascend too. We know that ponies die since we saw a funeral eulogy during a song.

37743ce495ca39f35c784e859cdbbc3d.jpg

Now to the topic. I'm of several minds on this. I think death is a topic that can be addressed on some kids shows, and not at all on others. I think that the method of how it needs to be addressed determines whether I feel it is important to the story, or whether the desire for the episode comes from a need to see darker themes or wanting to experience manufactured emotions. The last two are a cheap trick used to make weak stories stronger. (Heh)

There is a possibility in the Apple parents. As they are long deceased it allows for a less shock inducing episode if they directly address it. I hope they are careful if they do.

As far as seeing a living character die on screen, no. It doesn't fit the show. Anyone that says that seeing that specific element play out on screen would be helpful to kids if they cope with death has no idea what they are talking about. However, seeing a family remember long departed parents and keeping that memory alive WOULD be a better vector to help with seeing how people can get through that sort of pain. 

To those that want death for anything other than it's need to tell a compelling narrative that requires it, and to those that just want to feel sad, I suggest fanfiction. That or try another IP. Those might be more realistic options for you. That or a John Green novel. 

• Brohoof 4

52 minutes ago, The_Gobo said:

If they refer to alicorns as immortal, then there must be some form of mortality 

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Meghan McCarthy stated that Twilight won't outlive her friends. Some took that to mean she wasn't immortal. Some took that to mean that the ReMane 5 will eventually ascend too. We know that ponies die since we saw a funeral eulogy during a song.

No to the topic. I'm of several minds on this. I think it is a topic that can be address on some kids shows, and not others. I think that the method of how it needs to be addressed determines whether I feel it is important or whether the desire for the episode comes from a need to see darker themes or wanting to experience manufactured emotions. 

There is a possibility in the Apple parents. As they are long deceased it allows for a less shock inducing episode if they directly address it. I hope they are careful if they do.

As far as seeing a living character die on screen, no. It doesn't fit the show. Anyone that says that seeing that specific element play out on screen would be helpful to kids if they cope with death has no idea what they are talking about. However, seeing a family remember long departed parents and keeping that memory alive WOULD be a better vector to help with seeing how people can get through that sort of pain. 

To those that want death for anything other than it's need to tell a compelling narrative that requires it, and to those that just want to feel sad, I suggest fanfiction. That or try another IP. Those might be more realistic options for you. That or a John Green novel. 

Had forgotten that episode, also the one where a pony gets their cutiemark and it turns out they're good at archeology/paleontology, digging up a bunch bones (pon'bones?  :V )
Thanks for the reminder

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

No to the topic. I'm of several minds on this. I think it is a topic that can be address on some kids shows, and not others. I think that the method of how it needs to be addressed determines whether I feel it is important or whether the desire for the episode comes from a need to see darker themes or wanting to experience manufactured emotions. 

Of course not on screen, that'd never happen. Addressing it might be plausible, tho. 

• Brohoof 2

I would really like that to happen. As long as it's not some reoccurring character and instead they introduce them to a new pony that has cancer or something. Though I would put my money down on it that it would happen. MLP is a bit more juvenile compared to Steven Universe and Gravity Falls and other shows like that, and the show is supposed to make you happy, not cry. Well, I mean, you can cry at certain scenes that are intended to be sad I guess but I personally haven't found anything in the show that has caused me to break down. Or shed a tear.

Also, this show is made to sell toys, and I don't think a cancer pony wouldn't really boost sales up.

Let's throw grief and all that lesson stuff out the window and ask ourselves what to do with black and white mana of this plane.

From what we've seen they are not afraid to use skeletons and zombies. An end for some is a beginning for others. Death in fantasy can be fun. It's only the transition that rustles soccer moms, but that is not to be shown anyway.

To sum it up and soothe the souls of our brave issue-wading busybodies: it's not that loss and grief shouldn't be covered (and to an extent they already were), it's that MLP's primary focus is being constantly and deliberately ignored by both our fandom and by our glorious writers while this little parade moves ever onward among reassuring cries that a shrinking crowd is a completely natural phenomenon devoid of any internal influences. Surely a good time to chat about our human condition.

I really doubt that we are ever going to get an episode focusing on death in a My Little Pony cartoon of all things.

The closet we are ever going to get would have to be Tanks for the Memories, and the show wasn't even allowed to kill off a pet.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/15/2017 at 8:48 AM, cmarston1 said:

I really doubt that we are ever going to get an episode focusing on death in a My Little Pony cartoon of all things.

The closet we are ever going to get would have to be Tanks for the Memories, and the show wasn't even allowed to kill off a pet.

And don't forget a Bird in a Hoof where Philomena seemingly died.  Also, Mane-iac clearly expressed an intent to kill the Power Ponies when she said "You shall live just long enough to see me fire the instrument of your destruction."  Still, Sweetie Belle dancing and singing her way through a graveside service will always take the cake. :lol:

MLP will probably never speak about death in an explicit way but they don't really need to. They've acknowledged that ponies are mortal and that's adequate for a series like this. 

On 4/15/2017 at 1:11 AM, Jeric said:

long deceased it allows for a less shock inducing episode if they directly address it. I hope they are careful if they do.

This, I absolutely agree with this. 

Portraying live death in front of characters in the show I don't think would be wise. Considering the show we are talking about and what it has been about, they have often been pretty subtle in addressing real life situations. Death would be among the more difficult ones to present in a subtle way. Addressing a live death would really be more shocking than helpful, but teaching to cope with long deceased loved ones and how to cherish their memories and not let these memories bring you down but rather cherish life even more and the ones you have around you still. 

I tend to hope not. One of the attractions of the series for me is that it's set in a beautiful land where friends don't die, in the the same way that Asterix and Obelix can always return to their village and we can always return with them.

You know that time must pass (Obelix was a baby when he was dropped in the magic potion) but the events in the series itself are largely outside time. I don't think that's a bad thing. Time passes quickly enough in real life.

It could be done well but I'd be more against the idea than in favour of it.

Edited by Squiggle

They already tried to do that with Tanks for The Memories, but they didn't know how to make the symbolism actually make sense in the story, and considering the show's limitations they will have to resort to symbolism. You have to be very careful to do something like that, and maybe a very good writer could pull it off, but I don't think it's something the show should tackle.