• It was all right.
    • YES! You could it was, "Celestial."
  2. 2. Did you like "All Bottled Up?"

• No. It should've stayed Bottled Up. >_>
    • Didn't like it.
    • Truly Meh.
    • It was enjoyable.
    • I LOVED IT!!! LET IT ALL OUT!!!

From my DA account: SPOILER ALERT!: So I watched the new episodes of My Little Pony season 7 "Celestial Advice" and "All Bottled Up". 

My thoughts on "Celestial Advice". I loved this one! I loved how they made use of Discord pressuring Twilight and I adore the way Celestia and Twilight interacted. It was so nice to see their relationship together on screen. I loved that we got to see more of Princess Celestia's personality. I loved the "There is no wrong way to fantasize" line from Celestia. It was also really cool to see exactly how Twilight's mind works and it was great that she used such an advanced spell to do it! It was nice to see the writers take advantage of Twilight's alicorn magic. They don't do it enough. I loved how we got to see Celestia's fears and see that she wants and needs to feel needed by Twilight. It reminds me of when my teacher got sick and he said "Nobody needs me" and I told him "Yes we do need you. I need you."  and it made him very happy. It was really interesting to see how Celestia did indeed plan for Twilight to meet the other Mane 5 on purpose. That explains a LOT. I guess my only complaint would be how Twilight didn't really have to choose at the end because it feels like it was done for plot ease but frankly I do not think Starlight is ready to go out on her own. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't a double episode but again I think this story does indeed work better as only 22 moments.

"All Bottled Up" I thought I wouldn't like this episode very much but it actually turned out to be very good and quite clever. I loved the idea of Starlight teaching Trixie magic. I liked how we got to see that at least with Starlight magic is indeed controlled by emotion. I loved how the writers contrasted Trixie/Starlight's friendship with the deeper bond of the Mane 6. It showed how important expressing honestly and communicating is. I also liked that we got to actually see what the Mane 6 were doing while they were on retreat since in season 6 we almost never got to see what another pony was doing if they were written as being out of Ponyvile etc. My only grip would have to be the song but I think the song was supposed to be corny and cheesy on purpose so it's not a huge problem. 

On a side note, the "My Little Pony" logo is blue,purple,white and pink in the opening now instead of pink and white. Cool!

• Brohoof 4

22 minutes ago, Cloggedone said:

Good points! It was interesting how a few seasons ago (from what I heard), Starlight Glimmer wasn't the important one like she was in this episode, is that right? If so, another example of "bad turned good" I guess. :)

Yeah, it was also cool seeing Ember, maybe we'll see her again later in the season, even Zecora can help both Starlight and Trixie, and maybe even Ember.

It was also cool that Spike stayed to watch them practice magic, I know he's not on every adventure with Twilight, but it cool to see what he does. Maybe he and Discord will have another Guys Night. Also maybe Thorax showing too, he deserves to show on Guys Night.

Edited by Brainstorm
  • Brohoof 2

Still ruminating on why a few things clicked for me in one of the episodes, but as of now it's safe to say my top character list has shifted now. 

Old

RARITY > AJ > Scootaloo

New

RARITY > Starlight > AJ

• Brohoof 1

Regarding Celestial Advice:

Nice to see Sunburst - more please!

Yeah, the more the better!

Discord was very interesting in this episode...
On one hand he was sewing chaos and anxiety, but on another, he pushed twilight towards a more adult decision regarding starlight.  I'm calling it a net positive!  
But only barely!

Also, this was the twilight/celestia moment that I've been longing for for YEARS.
Celestia has given Twilight every opportunity to see her as a friend and peer, but Twilight has always created distance where there didn't need to be any.  It seems we had a breakthrough here, because Twilight has never related to her so strongly.  I'm hopeful that this will be the start of a closer, more personal, relationship between them.

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 6

2 hours ago, chronos911 said:

Man.. I hate to be a downer but these episodes just bored me.   Nothing was really set up to make the rest of the season seem exciting.    It was basically just Twilight and friends hanging out and Starlight and Trixie hanging out..  oh and they made a table disappear... Yay?   So interesting.    I'm not entirely decided yet but I think this series is starting to lose it's appeal for me now..   Season 6 did nothing for me, and I thought they would at least try to improve the writing quality in season 7 but it's just more of the same.  We've went from Disney level quality to what seems like this really goofy kids show that really is meant for 6 year old girls this time.  Have I grown out of this show or has this show really just lost it's charm?   It feels like the latter to me. 

No, it's just you. Twilight and her friends hanging out has been a staple of the series since the beginning. That''s why they're referred to as "slice of life." They're not meant to be exciting; they're meant to teach a lesson. I mean, episodes like "Family Appreciation Day" and "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" weren't exciting, but they still taught important lessons.

And you act as if this show has never had its goofy moments before. Go back and rewatch episodes like "Swarm of the Century", "Party of One", and "Bridle Gossip." These episodes and more had their goofy moments and they were all the more humorous for it. Pinkie Pie herself is basically a living, breathing Bugs Bunny version of a pony, which is a loving callback to the classic Looney Tunes cartoons.

Season six wasn't terrible, but it was rather lackluster. From these two episodes, I think season seven will be an improvement over season six. I at least hope it will.

1 hour ago, vgmaster9 said:

And it's happened since the original writers left the show. Coincidence? I think not. You would think that they've gotten over the loss of those writers by now, but it seems apparent that they never will.

What on Earth are you talking about? Yes, these writers are new to the show and they've worked on some shows whose quality is questionable (such as "Johnny Test" and "Fish Hooks"), but that doesn't necessarily mean they suck. They've given us great episodes like "Tanks for the Memories", "Hearthsbreakers", "A Hearth's Warming Tail", "Gift of the Maud Pie", "Gauntlet of Fire", among others. This show just keeps getting better and better with each new season, a tradition that has been going on since season two.

• Brohoof 3

Both of them were amazing! It was interesting to have two different episodes as the premiere, and I was a little skeptical about the idea, but it turned out nicely. Kind of nice to have the new season start without any apocalyptic events threatening the whole world, for a change. 

"Celestial Advice" was heartwarming all the way. The scene where Celestia confessed her past doubts to Twilight was one of the most D'AAAWW-inducing things in the whole show and made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. And it was nice to see the followup into the last finale. The only thing I didn't like in this episode was Discord, he was annoying.

"All Bottled Up" was just fun. Although there was a darker tone in Starlight trying to contain her anger, this episode was really entertaining and, like I said, fun to watch. Really though, what really made this episode great in my eyes was the new song. It became my new favorite!

The writers seem to love Trixie now, huh? Well, I'm not complaining, she is an enjoyable character that has come far, and she had some good moments in "All Bottled Up". Also, I grew to like her friendship with Starlight more.

If they continues like this, this might end up being the best season ever! I'm so excited for what's next!

• Brohoof 6

Regarding: "All Bottle Up":

Yay for escape rooms!  those are so fun!  i want to do an MLP inspired escape room really badly!
sadly, normal escape rooms are like $25-$30  a person in my city, and that is beyond the finances of some of my club members, so we can't really even do a bunch of bronies together doing one.

But about the episode, the gimmick, of literally bottling your anger was just fantastic. I love the idea that in a magical world, you can have a physical representation of that problem.  The lesson was natural and useful, with a great closing scene discussing it.  

• Brohoof 2

Celestial Advice comments:

Strength:

1. Excellent characterization of Spike, Twilight, and especially Celestia. All of them are within their characters, but like I wrote in the past, "in character" isn't enough. They need to be likable and relatable. Here, you can understand where they're coming from.

Twilight acted like any sensible teacher, mentor, or caring friend would. She really worried about Starlight's well-being and fretted about what could happen.

Spike understands Starlight's intellect. She knows how smart and resourceful she is and is more than capable of doing the right thing.

Celestia can relate to Twilight's predicament, and I'm sure many of us do, too. During a series where Celly had really, REALLY awful performances (notably TCE, Keep Calm, No Second Prances, ACW, and To Where), to have her most positive appearance since The Return of Harmony is a major breath of fresh air.

On top of that, excellent callback to season two where ponies were using Celestia's name in vain like we do with God.

Negatives:

1. The pacing at the end is some of the worst in the entire show. Everything built up and then suddenly, the status quo is hammered in in the final 90 seconds. It's way too rushed.
  2. Speaking of pacing, Starlight's progress and development happened way too fast and confined to exposition. Like I wrote in my To Where review, Starlight was a major change to the status quo. As such, more time needed to be put in to really develop her. But DHX's bad habits along with writing terrible characterization of her really hurt her credibility. Here, she just graduates, and then she doesn't. Sure, she did a really good thing by completing changing the Changeling Kingdom, but it'd be much better if the audience can SEE this development progress throughout season six. Why? Because you give the ceremony a sense of earning. Her ceremony doesn't feel earned at all. In short, the characterization and pacing flaws from last season affected the writing here.
  3. Discord. He was a completely unlikable jerk. He may not be the completely likable dude, but at least show a little character growth to suggest that he does care for Fluttershy's friends. Every joke surrounding him doesn't land because of his lousy characterization.

While it's a major improvement compared to To Where (the show's worst finale), it's still a step down from The Crystalling.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

After the defeat of Chrysalis and the liberation of the Changelings, everypony momentously celebrate the special occasion that bestows Starlight, Trixie, Discord and Thorax an honorary title for their heroic actions. I find this really nice and sweet for all of Equestria to give the honor to these once considered antagonistic characters. While during the celebration, Discord just had to provoke Twilight into a unfortunate weary task of finding Starlight's path for her future despite of him being nosey, he's actually true. We later see how Twilight and Celestia's own personal stories unfold and can influence and relate to their choice of a future role for Starlight Glimmer, just like how Twilight once was. It's really great to see Celestia so in touch with Twilight and in this alone, made me extremely glad to see how much Celestia loves Twilight. It's almost like she's her "Mother" essentially and that's how I always seen her as. Truly this scene with both Twilight and Celestia was all I've ever wanted. Back to Starlight, she's growing up into the wonderful friendships that surrounds her and she look relaxed and even giggles at a few instances, showing her that she's accustomed to expressing herself. Twilight giving her a graduation was really swell and it shows that the two are always close even if Starlight was ready to leave, it showed that your friends are always there for you despite where you are. I find that this premiere is very meaningful and sweet and it doesn't had to be a full-out two parter with high stakes action. It's a simpler and much more reserved premiere and I actually like that for a change.

In "All Bottle Up" we see how Starlight's anger can really get out of hand if your not willingly able to express those feelings of anger to somepony, especially if you are their best friend. I think that it's a good way to show the bottle that Starlight had kept signifies the fear that she had in order to protect her close friendship with Trixie and in that alone didn't help. I find this episode rewarding in referring into a situation that needs to be fully explained and clear to avoid future problems down the road with a friend. Be true to yourself so that you can be true to others.

• Brohoof 2

Celestial Advice – in my personal ranking this episode is the second best season-opener so far (after the Return of Hamony), and it didn’t even have to be a two-parter! All these characters together in one episode, everyone having their moments – that was just great. Celestia’s part in this episode is an example of what this fandom have been asking for for a long time – the Sun Princess’ own little story. Hopefully, we’ll get a big one in future. Even though I found it weird that Celestia had time to teach the gifted unicorns herself, but maybe it wasn’t a regular thing…

Twilight was as adorkable as she can be in her best episodes. Discord was just being himself, that is being amazing and mischievous. But most of all I liked those little things that created the atmosphere – Luna’s struggle with the Pink Heart, bug swatting, Vinyl jamming and, most of all, Celestia laughing (it confirms my presumption that she might get drunk at the parties – remember her in Make new friends but keep Discord?)!

All in all, I enjoyed the episode and seeing Twi in Celestia’s (horse)shoes making a tough decision. And I totally don’t mind that Starlight is staying, just hope that she won’t steal other ponies’ spotlight this season.

P. S. My favorite Moondancer appeared in the episode too, which made it even cooler.

• Brohoof 3

For some reason I can't get that "There is no wrong way to fantasize" line out of my head. By Starswirl's beard did that catch me off guard :blink:

I'll give a proper comment once I cool down.
Just, of all the... 
thumb.png

Edited by Liquid
  • Brohoof 4

All Bottled Up – Starlight and her magic issues again. Is it just me or is it kinda getting old?

The quest room – seriously? I liked Pinkie Pie attitude and RD’s determination to break the record, but the rest… And the song – it was there, yeah.

So, the episode had some funny moments, internal references and dynamics between Glim-Glam and Trix (that's what we can call her now apparently), but the things with Glimmy and magic problems are getting repetitive, in my opinion. I think Starlight should just embrace that this is the way she is. It seems Trixie has done so already – it’s fun, after all.

Anger zombies were cool, though.

• Brohoof 2

Celestial Advice

Positives:

* Twilight, Starlight, and Celestia all receiving development! How they all played out with each other!

* Starlight's future possibilities!

* Ember!

* Spike being a very supportive friend to Twilight, and still being hilarious! Also he seems to know his friends very well, and even knows Starlight better than Twilight does!

* HENRY!!! <3

* Spike dancing with Sweetie Belle! Favorite OTP! :D

* Discord is such a jerk! XD

Negatives:

* Underwhelming amount of Mane Six.

* Spike and Thorax didn't interact.

* Eww, Garble!

All Bottled Up

Positives:

* More Starlight/Trixie moments!

* The pretzel gag!

* Granny and Bulk Biceps!

* The song was a nice touch!

* Tea-cup!

Negatives:

* The episode felt like two episodes crammed together.

* Spike could've been with Starlight and Trixie more.

* Trixie knows actual magic now? Unicorns as a race are becoming too OP.

• Brohoof 3

I have mixed feelings for both episodes. I will say that I greatly enjoyed having an episode with Celestia having a lot of involvement. I really enjoyed seeing Twilight have another mental breakdown, and this time Celestia was there to laugh at the irony, since she herself had the same feelings when sending off Twilight. The emotions were also a big plus. Then having a bit of a flashback to when Twilight was a student was a nice touch. If I were to nitpick something about Celestial Advice, it'd be Discord. I feel like, somehow, his shenanigans could have been done... differently? I don't know. I just felt like he was a little off.

Spoiler

Also, ALCHEMY!? Twilight, your imagination scares me, girl!

c0a21efa4c.jpg

As for Bottled Up, I liked seeing progression of Trixie and Starlight's characters. Using the idea that Starlight, despite just having graduated, still needed to learn a lesson about not bottling up her anger, it really just goes to show how the ponies are always learning regardless of how far they've come. At first viewing I wanted to complain about Trixie's behavior. But after letting it settle in my mind I feel now like it was necessary to show her being like that, because I think we're going to see her slowly mature and thus she's still in the "aggravating" personality phase. It's a necessary evil, per se.  But whaaat the heck was the deal with the side story of the Mane 6? In my opinion, their side story could have been a lot more interesting than it was. But the writers chose to have them play some silly puzzle game. It felt like a really half-assed, off-brand tip of the hat to Daring Do episodes (and I love Daring Do episodes, so this was a let down). I mean, I get that they weren't supposed to be the main point in the episode, but quite frankly their puzzle game was boring. And I really wanted to like the song more than I did. I mean, what with that little hint earlier in the episode that there was going to be one, it set my expectations high. It's not that the song was bad, but it really just lacked the kind of kick I was looking for.

Now... to comment on how I view these two episodes together as the season 7 Premiere episodes. 

*Inhale* ... *Exhale* ...

They didn't feel like Premiere episodes. Not that I didn't like them - I did, I really liked them. But they felt more like middle episodes, not Premiere episodes. They weren't energetic enough. There wasn't enough tension. There wasn't enough *on the edge of your seat* kind of feelings. They felt more like "Slice of Life" to me (which works better for middle episodes). That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and technically there is no rule, written or unwritten, that states that Premiere episodes have to be wild and/or crazy. But I think that, even though it isn't a rule, most of us still sort of expect the Premiere episodes to have more of a "wow" effect than compared to middle episodes. 

Thus, if these weren't Premiere episodes, and rather were middle episodes, I'd rate them higher. But since they are Premiere episodes, I give both a 7/10. 

5 hours ago, Kivil said:

"Them nuts sure do smell good" - Granny Smith 2K17

*Sigh* I chuckled when I heard her say that. Honestly, I feel silly for laughing at it, but when it's something that obvious, the writers had to know they were doing that. 

5 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

(I still hate the fact Discovery Family spoils a little of next week's episode....grrrr...)

At least it was a very short and minimal spoiler. I, too, generally speaking don't like it when next episodes get spoiled in commercials, but I don't think any of the important parts were spoiled this time. 

1 hour ago, Oleks said:

The quest room – seriously? I liked Pinkie Pie attitude and RD’s determination to break the record, but the rest… And the song – it was there, yeah.

Yeah, that's basically how I feel. 

Edited by Miles
spelling
  • Brohoof 1

Ok. Both episodes had some minor flaws, or more appropriately reminders of moments in the series that had significantly greater flaws. That said, where these episodes succeeded, they were damn near brilliant, for me at least. Some were personal connections. Things I got out the the episodes and exchanges between characters that are unique to my perspective as a parent, and as someone who is aware of how not communicating anger is a relationship killer. 

Starlight became my second favorite character because of that second moral. Celestia also endeared herself to me with her approach here. It showed both an awareness of experience, and a humility that she needed that experience. As a parent, I've recently had a similar conversation with my kids that they are starting to take the helm that will guide them to their own destiny, and to remember that the fears and anxiety they feel were once aquatinted with me. 

The positive of each episode bulldozed over minor flaws like pacing, poor song placement, and missed opportunities with Discord (again).

If we see more like this, I will adore this season. 

• Brohoof 3

I thought "Celestial Advice" was a very refreshing episode. I thought the heart-to-heart between Celestia and Twilight was very sweet, and it's an honest reflection of reality between teachers and their pupils. I also appreciate that we got more Sunburst. The character development was excellent in this episode.

Unfortunately, I was not able to watch "All Bottled Up" because I had to make an "emergency run" to the store. We were missing a key ingredient for tonight's dinner. Easter Saturday. Ehh... :/

Edited by Halberd
  • Brohoof 2

Celestial Advice was good, it was good to see Celestia get some screen time and to see another side to her, getting worried about the future. I also liked how she laughed, never heard her laugh that much before. It was nice to see the relationship between Twilight and Starlight as well as Starlight and her new friends from the Season 6 finale. Though it did feel like not a lot happened in this episode since most of it was fantasies but that doesn't really matter.

As someone who really likes Starlight Glimmer, All Bottled Up was a great episode and my favourite of the two. I like how they turned bottling up your feelings literal. It was nice to see the friendship between Starlight and Trixie and to see they are both still learning about how to be friends and how to be better people overall. There was some funny moments too which was nice. I wasn't too keen on how the mane six were thrown in, it kinda felt like they wrote the story, realised it wasn't long enough and so very quickly just threw a mane six story in. Wasn't too bad though so that doesn't take away from the episode.

• Brohoof 2

Speaking of All Bottled Up, it was interesting for Starlight to use the "dangerous magic of the day" on herself (instead of others (intentionally)) for a change.

Probably her most-sympathetic "amoral" moment yet.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 4

Hm... Don't really know what to say. The first episode was alright, but anticlimatic considering everything it led up to just fizzled away. I also didn't really care for Discord's character in the episode. I know he's a trouble maker by nature and all, but I didn't really enjoy that.

The second episode is the one I have the weirdest mixed feelings about. At the end I really enjoyed the episode, more than anything in entire previous season, which was very mediocre. However, when I look back at it, it is full of flaws. Trixie's character was too exaggerated. That's saying a lot speaking about a character that is exaggerated by nature. It just feels like they went too far. And the mane 6 part of the episode was... Forced. It was so forced, it came off as fake. It was like watching something parodying MLP:FiM. Perhaps that was all to lead up to the joke about the song ruining them beating the record, but as I said, it felt so fake. It was taken too far.

Otherwise it was actually pretty funny and I liked it. I hope they keep up with the spirit of the Starlight Glimmer/Trixie plot (with less exaggeration, of course) for future episodes.

1 hour ago, Miles said:

*Sigh* I chuckled when I heard her say that. Honestly, I feel silly for laughing at it, but when it's something that obvious, the writers had to know they were doing that.

We all at least smiled when it happened. Don't feel bad

• Brohoof 2