Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic

Discordian

(edited)

Now, if My Little Investigations were to no longer be pony, then yeah, I would lose all interest in it.

That's a differ. My little investigations - more about quest. There is dialogs, plot, characters with their personalities, e.t.c. If there is no pony than characters just blank - nopony know them before they coming out, and there is not so interesting to play for soother, while in pony case you can follow characters, that you already know, predict what they gonna say or what they gonna do. I agree, that for me there will be no My Little Investigations without ponies.

However, folks, Fighting is magic is a fighting game - god damn, what the plot is about? Characters show a little of their personalities in the show. We saw twilights with books, rarity with gems, fluttershy with animals... well there is really little of them. We dont going to talk with characters. We dont going to even listen respons from characters. There is just models of ponies that quite good, but really not nessecary. Game is still good, and Lauren faust will make her best to reincarnate game as well, as it could be.

P.s And whatever Mane6 will release, i can bet with anypony - not far half of year will pass before some one will make "fanmade" addon, to replace lauren faust models with original ones. Non-commercial, non-legal ofc =)

Edited by IceBeerG

*Heavy Sigh* Usually I don't let small things like this actually get to me but I was actually really looking forward to this game and all it had to offer. Granted, Lauren Faust is teaming up with Mane6 to continue the game but in essence they're not. It's just not the same, I wish Mane6 all the best and while they should have asked for permission from Hasbro to do this it honestly fucking kills me inside. Now see I understand Hasbro could have lost their copyright had they not acted but did they really have to C&D it? ;'( they could have worked something out that (if Hasbro wanted to) could have sold for big money and a drastic increase in fans. I don't blame anyone in particular but this definitely affects my outlook on Hasbro and I'll be weary of their products from now on. This game had the makings of a good-fun skill related fighting game with the classic mane 6 that i really wanted to play with my friends on the weekends and now that is never going to happen </3 For what it's worth: A discouraged/hurt fan ~ John (APonyToRemember)

On a brighter note: At least Mane6's efforts won't be a complete waste and perhaps Faust's genius can provide a spark in the franchise yet again. Once again, I wish them nothing but the best and sorry for swearing if perhaps I'm coming across as ungrateful. I'm just honestly devastated since I followed it for so long but life goes on! Who knows maybe some pony will just continue the idea anyway. You never know ^_~

Ouker - The Pinkiest Pie - would like to have a word here.

So, Fighting is Magic is off for a rough future, eh? No ponies means a lot of folks won't be remaining interested.

Sad, considering the quality of the game, aside from containing ponies. As a leak player, I should know... Just a pre-alpha can keep me  interested for hours and hours. That's not a minor achievement.

I myself will not venture off this game, even though it will no longer be the ponefightan. Simply put, the fundamental mechanics of the game are far too good to pass off!

I trust that Lauren can support Mane6 well to create the god-tier fightan they desired to create.

Yeah if they can't have any ponies in the eventual game i really don't have any interest in it. I mean they could have had done unique characters or brony musicians fighting or something slightly pony and it would have been acceptable but if they are doing something completely new it would be just as interesting as any other genric 2d fighting game (and many of those already exist). This was exciting because it was ponies injected into a game, with moves and songs that reflected them, and it was fan made, and done well. Really the fan made portion wasn't that much of the draw it was the mlp aspects. This goes back to if we would support bronies who suddently switch to non-mlp related music or art and my answer would be no. Best of luck to Archie and Alex S on their non-pony work and Mane 6 for their non-pony game but w/o it being pony it's just a run of the mill game or piece of music w/o any reason to hold my interest. Sad but true.  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI, although I'm sure its already been mentioned somewhere around here, I'm not smart enough to find it. Anyway, Mane6 has not died. They have just been forced to make new characters, with the help of Lauren Faust.  If you don't know about the fighting game they are developing, look here: www.mane6.com

They now are being offered to use the skullgirls engine FOR FREE if contributions get high enough. The above link has details on what Skullgirls is and how to contribute. 

Edited by Talesoffan1

The link doesn't take you anywhere about the game.

I really wish Hasbro wasn't so self-centered.

I mean, these people have been working on this game for a LOOOONG time.

And they just barged right in and pulled the plug. Hence Mane6 was almost done with it.

• Brohoof 2

The main reason people are saying the Mane6 has died is because their original motif has been stopped. People were really looking forward to the pony fighting game we've been waiting for for so long. For some people, no ponies mean no interests. That's just the way things go. I'm going to keep up with the Mane6 updates, but not with as much enthusiasm as I had before. Everyday, I checked the website to see if there was an update, and when there was, I was fueled with so much excitement at the thought of the project getting closer and closer to being finished.

We are still going to get a fighting game, just not the one we want.

• Brohoof 3

Ah I see. My bad. Sorry 'bout that. Yeah, I see what you mean. Different characters could be a dealbreaker for many. Also i hope i fixed the link- dunno what was wrong with that. 

Edited by Talesoffan1

Ah I see. My bad. Sorry 'bout that. Yeah, I see what you mean. Different characters could be pretty horrid for some. Oh well, I feel kinda stupid for writing that now.

Stupid? Not in the slightest. I like people like you. You looked past the fact that there are going to be different characters in the game. You don't seem like you mind at all. I wish that was the same case for me.

The main reason people are saying the Mane6 has died is because their original motif has been stopped. People were really looking forward to the pony fighting game we've been waiting for for so long. For some people, no ponies mean no interests. That's just the way things go. I'm going to keep up with the Mane6 updates, but not with as much enthusiasm as I had before. Everyday, I checked the website to see if there was an update, and when there was, I was fueled with so much excitement at the thought of the project getting closer and closer to being finished.

We are still going to get a fighting game, just not the one we want.

Pretty much this.  The fact remains that even with mods and such we will never get to see Fighting is Magic.  What we are getting is more akin to a spiritual sequel with the obvious exception of never having seen the original.  It is this fact that saddens me the most.  I have faith they are going to make a great game and it was AWESOME of Lauren Faust to be so willing to jump in and help them.  However, it is not going to be the same game in the end, but I will still give it a try in honor of their efforts.  My biggest problem is I am not a huge fan of fighting games and ponies were the draw for this one.  Kicking flank as Twilight and others was what I was looking forward to.

Oh well we live and learn and move on...

• Brohoof 2

The thing that makes me like this the most is that we can help Mane6 by helping Skullgirls, which, although it relies heavily on fanservice, is a great indie fighting game that is going through tough times as well. Tough times that aren't the development teams fault.

Edit* Although I can understand completely why many are downhearted about the whole affair. Oh Hasbro...

Edited by Talesoffan1

Not sure why people are still balling on about this Hasbro simply did not like what going on so they took legal action. Now the little dev. team wants three quarters of a million dollars to make a simple game? wow... Stop trying to make Hasbro look all big and bad - as if they want their characters associated with a fighting game. If the dev. team continues (which I doubt they will) Hasbro will sue them for everything they have :). Go team Hasbro!!!

-The Devils Advocate

Edited by ~Scootaloo

Kicking flank as Twilight and others was what I was looking forward to.

Someone on /mlp/ is working on their own version of Fighting is Magic. I looks and works pretty good. The Twilight bot sometimes spams sparks like crazy. Besides that, she is really powerful and is able to put out a massive combo with ease. I hate going up against her, but I love using her. wub.png

Why is Lauren helping them out though? I mean does she have something against Hasbro or what? I have no idea why she is helping them out just because they got a C&D letter from the people who [ironically] power the show she made (partially).

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 1

Why is Lauren helping them out though? I mean does she have something against Hasbro or what? I have no idea why she is helping them out just because they got a C&D letter from the people who [ironically] power the show she made (partially).

She's helping them design original characters out of kindness, so they can use their hard work to make a game that's all their own even if they can't finish FiM.  

She was one of many that was really looking forward to the game. And, she also wanted to ease their pain of having their game, one that they have been working on really hard for so long, put to a halt.

I'm getting tired of all this talk of Hasbro being "selfish" for let ting Fighting is Magic go. It's Mane6's fault for not considering the legal issues between canon and the game. Everfree Radio has a license, and Mane6 didn't go out to get one. 

• Brohoof 2

She's helping them design original characters out of kindness, so they can use their hard work to make a game that's all their own even if they can't finish FiM.  

She was one of many that was really looking forward to the game. And, she also wanted to ease their pain of having their game, one that they have been working on really hard for so long, put to a halt.

Well it seems like she is just doing this to spite Hasbro in some little way. I mean really... Hasbro did what they needed to protect what was theirs.

I'm getting tired of all this talk of Hasbro being "selfish" for let ting Fighting is Magic go. It's Mane6's fault for not considering the legal issues between canon and the game. Everfree Radio has a license, and Mane6 didn't go out to get one. 

Agreed. Personally I'm sick of people trying to demonize Hasbro for protecting their product from unwanted attention amongst other things.

HASBRO IS A BUSINESS EXPECT THEM TO ACT LIKE A BUSINESS.

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 4

I honestly don't care anymore about what Hasbro did. Just live and let live. I'm actually pretty content since I've actually been playing the game. You get bored after a while if you don't have people to play with.

Sorry for saying anything about Hasbro- I really didn't mean for this topic to be anything about them. My fault for letting a bit of opinion out there when I shouldn't have. Regardless of if they should or shouldnt have, the fact is that they did, so that's in the past. Now we can only look to the future of whats going on. 

Well it seems like she is just doing this to spite Hasbro in some little way. I mean really... Hasbro did what they needed to protect what was theirs.

Agreed. Personally I'm sick of people trying to demonize Hasbro for protecting their product from unwanted attention amongst other things.

HASBRO IS A BUSINESS EXPECT THEM TO ACT LIKE A BUSINESS.

I never did, in fact I have my suspicions that Gameloft is more responsible in some way:

"Wsssah! we had to buy a license! Why are you letting them make a game for free! Waaaaah!"

Edited by Shoboni

I never did, in fact I have my suspicions that Gameloft is more responsible in some way:

"Wsssah! we had to buy a license! Why are you letting them make a game for free! Waaaaah!"

So?

Mane6 was dumb enough to not make sure they had all their ducks in a row now they are paying the price. Did they really think Hasbro was going to act like this?

Mane6: we made a game with your copyright characters where they fight and beat up each other. Is that ok?

Hasbro: of course it is buddy! you can come to Hasbro and we'll make all your problems go away!

So?

Mane6 was dumb enough to not make sure they had all their ducks in a row now they are paying the price. Did they really think Hasbro was going to act like this?

Mane6: we made a game with your copyright characters where they fight and beat up each other. Is that ok?

Hasbro: of course it is buddy! you can come to Hasbro and we'll make all your problems go away!

There's such a thing as a middle ground in a situation, you can't act like all the blame was on one side or the other on this one, everybody had a leg to stand on.

As for on topic, I like what's going one, the ideas they're toying with intrigue me. 

• Brohoof 1

everybody had a leg to stand on

Not really. Since Mane6 didn't have what they needed to (legally) make the game it got shut down.

Also why are you trying to bring Gameloft into this? they did the right thing and that's why they didn't get a C&D letter while Mane6 did.