Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic

Discordian

Well it seems like she is just doing this to spite Hasbro in some little way. I mean really... Hasbro did what they needed to protect what was theirs.

Nah, I don't think Lauren would be doing this to spite Hasbro.  If she were to step in and try to get Hasbro to change its mind about the original form of Fighting is Magic, such that it could be released without modification, then you might be able to say she was spiting them.  But the fact is, since she doesn't work for Hasbro anymore, she has no reason to "be loyal" to them, and the characters she's designing for the new game reportedly have nothing to do with Hasbro's property.  So as far as anyone is concerned, Lauren is simply taking on a freelance project.

Basically, so long as what she does doesn't have anything to do with MLP, Hasbro has no say - there's no conflict of interest.  And Hasbro couldn't care less if a team of developers releases a fighting game, so long as that game doesn't include its properties.  So, no spite.  (In other words, Hasbro didn't tell Mane6 to not make a game at all - they just said they can't use MLP for it.)

• Brohoof 1

Not really. Since Mane6 didn't have what they needed to (legally) make the game it got shut down.

Also why are you trying to bring Gameloft into this? they did the right thing and that's why they didn't get a C&D letter while Mane6 did. 

Because they exist to screw people over, all they care about it draining people's pockets, they made a game that costs hunderds of dollars to access all the content, yet has far less gameplay then Fallout GOTY did at only $40 full retail. 

But I'm not getting in further into this unless you want to go start a thread about it. 

Because they exist to screw people over, all they care about it draining people's pockets, they made a game that costs hunderds of dollars to access all the content, yet has far less gameplay then Fallout GOTY did at only $40 full retail. 

But I'm not getting in further into this unless you want to go start a thread about it. 

Here you are sir.

Everyone else in this thread: sorry, but Mane6 was wrong in what they did so now they're paying up for it.

But the fact is, since she doesn't work for Hasbro anymore, she has no reason to "be loyal" to them

Why do they still mention her in the opening of the show? is that just to be nice or why? 

I like the on topic stuff~ Yup, what they're doing is very intriguing. Let us go more in depth to the intriguing aspects. Intriguing aspects ftw!!

From what I'm hearing, it looks like they're going to keep it for-legging creatures, but use a variety of animals, which is intriguing because I don't think a fighting game with feral animals has been done before, just anthro/furry. 

Yeah that does sound pretty awesome. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that really does something similiar. First thing that comes to mind is Bloody Roar which, as you mentioned, is just furry/anthro. 

• Brohoof 1

H

Why do they still mention her in the opening of the show? is that just to be nice or why? 

It's because she created the characters and setting, the same way TV series based on movies say "based on the characters created by..."

Yeah that does sound pretty awesome. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that really does something similiar. First thing that comes to mind is Bloody Roar which, as you mentioned, is just furry/anthro. 

The first thing I thought of was maybe a good version of "Paws of Fury" but with feral animals instead of anthros, you could maybe make the foxes kitsunes and use them as the spell casters in place of MLP unicorns. 

Edited by Shoboni

It's just not the same. And you know what, this wouldn't be a problem if Hasbro actually made quality content themselves, but that's a task third parties have to take up, and when they're punished for it, of course that upsets people.

• Brohoof 3

I guess this is what happens when Hasbro is punished. What is the point of Hasbro doing this when, copyright or seise and desist issues start to come in.

I guess this is what happens when Hasbro is punished. What is the point of Hasbro doing this when, copyright or seise and desist issues start to come in.

People don't really understand how businesses work, do they?  It doesn't matter how good the content is - if a group like Mane6 goes and makes a game using Hasbro's properties without its permission, the game is unauthorized.  The law enables Hasbro to protect its properties by doing one of three things:

(1) Sending a cease-and-desist order to the game's makers (which is really just a threat to sue them),

(2) Actually taking the game's makers to court for copyright infringement, or

(3) Offering to either acquire or license the game to make it an official, authorized Hasbro product.

An implicit fourth option is to just ignore the game, but this is a slippery slope for any company in this position.  If a company is made aware of an infringing product and they choose to look the other way, they are giving the infringer permission to continue infringing.  To a large extent, Hasbro has allowed this to happen with the mountain of fan-produced art, stories, stuffed animals, clothing, etc.  But for the most part, the popular stuff is true enough to the original property that it serves as good press, and the stuff that deviates from it (such as adult-oriented stories and artwork) isn't mainstream enough to be worth Hasbro's attention.

Fighting is Magic crossed that line where the content deviates significantly from MLP's core property, that Hasbro had to take action against it.  The game was not authorized - it's not being produced BY anyone at Hasbro, and they didn't issue a license to Mane6 for a fighting game.  While it was still just a fan work, Hasbro likely didn't even know about it, and if they did, evidently they didn't consider it any more of a threat than any of the thousands of fanfics people have written.  But when it got national attention from the EVO game tournament, it started going mainstream, and that likely forced Hasbro's hand.

We haven't seen the actual C&D order Mane6 got, but chances are quite good that it states that, because the game was not authorized by Hasbro, its existence and popularity could cause confusion among Hasbro's customers as to the origin of the game.  This sort of confusion takes two forms: It has the potential to detract from sales of official merchandise and software, and because the game goes against the grain of the show and official franchise, it raises questions about whether Hasbro condones violence in My Little Pony.  In other words, as a popular mainstream product, it could end up sending the wrong message to people about what MLP:FiM stands for.

So basically, Hasbro did (1).  They did this as a low-cost alternative to taking legal action against Mane6 (2) - it's a common courtesy in the legal profession, and it avoids the huge costs, time and inconvenience of having to actually go to court.  Hasbro could certainly afford to spend money on this, and the law doesn't require them to be nice in any way to someone who's infringing on their copyrights.

As for (3): I imagine Hasbro would have two reasons for not offering to take Fighting is Magic under their wing, either as a first-party or third-party product: First, they already have contracts out to third parties to develop new games based on the franchise (no matter what one might say about their quality), and they likely don't see a need for another one.  And second, I seriously doubt Hasbro actually wants to distribute a game in which players are rewarded for making Twilight Sparkle beat the crap out of Fluttershy.  It goes completely against the grain of everything MLP:FiM has come to stand for, and that reason alone is why I'm not sad to see "Fighting is Magic" get the axe - it's not because I want to see Mane6 fail, but if the nature of the game had anything to do with Hasbro's decision, I for one support that decision.

That said, I think it's awesome that Lauren is stepping in to help them complete the game with new, original characters that don't infringe on Hasbro's copyrights.  And I think it's awesome that they're going to get to finish their game, even though it won't be exactly the same game as before.

• Brohoof 3

Well it seems like she is just doing this to spite Hasbro in some little way. I mean really... Hasbro did what they needed to protect what was theirs.

Agreed. Personally I'm sick of people trying to demonize Hasbro for protecting their product from unwanted attention amongst other things.

HASBRO IS A BUSINESS EXPECT THEM TO ACT LIKE A BUSINESS.

I don't think Lauren was trying to spite Hasbro or anything.  That's a little presumptuous to think an animator would risk her entire career over a fangame.  No, I'm pretty sure she was just trying to make some portion of her fanbase happy.

As for the second point.  Not only what you said, but mane6 made it easy for Hasbro to do.  I don't want to sound like I'm trying to bash them, because I'm not.  But they paraded this game around like the proverbial golden calf, advertising it everywhere, and showing off the sprites and moves on so many youtube videos (on more than one occasion even mentioning on youtube that they actually PAID someone to make the sprites; whoops).  I hate to say it, but they were kind of asking for this to happen, with that kind of publicity, and it was only a matter of time.

While I'm not entirely fond of Hasbro (especially given some of their recent decisions as of late), I'm not going to rage over this.  Instead, I'm using this situation as a learning tool.  That said, I don't think we as fans have to bend over backwards in response to this, either.  So here is the secret, to getting fangames released without anyone ever being able to stop you.  Now the world will know.

Don't advertise it until it's finished and ready to upload.  In fact, wait until you've uploaded it to one of the many file storage sites out there.  Until then, don't advertise it, and don't mention that you're making a game.  Do everything you can to avoid leaving a paper trail.  Basically, stay anonymous and LEAVE YOUR NAME OUT OF THE GAME'S CREDITS!!!  I can't stress this point enough.  If your game is a fangame based on a licensed franchise, leave your name out of the credits.  It's not like you're gonna make money off it anyway.

Then, just upload it when it's finished and advertise it on youtube.  Link to it, but don't identify yourself as the game's creator.  Do it from a different computer, if you don't feel comfortable.  The thing is, once something is put on the Internet, it's virtually impossible to remove it completely

That said, I wouldn't recommend uploading anything for about 4-6 months.  Right now, Hasbro's looking for fangames to shut down.  If you upload something now, it'll just make them even more edgy.  Wait four to six months, for them to calm down.  Then upload your game.  But above all, stay anonymous when doing so.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 4

Just an FYI, although I'm sure its already been mentioned somewhere around here, I'm not smart enough to find it. Anyway, Mane6 has not died. They have just been forced to make new characters, with the help of Lauren Faust. If you don't know about the fighting game they are developing, look here: www.mane6.com

They now are being offered to use the skullgirls engine FOR FREE if contributions get high enough. The above link has details on what Skullgirls is and how to contribute.

Okay im not making these pictures up.

Here is a link to see proof that they are ligit

http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/skullgirls-engine-faq-teaser.html?m=1

These are teaser images of three characters

previewsilhouette_all.png

First appeared to be a llama

Second looks like a type of cow or bull

Third looks like some sort of deer

Look I'm upset about it no longer being the mane six.

But you know what, its okay. The fact that they didn't give up dispite what has happened amazes me. They had to redesign their game and you know what the fact that they decided to not give up is great.

You can argue with me whatever you want.

But I'll still be excited with whatever they make.

• Brohoof 1

(I missed this the other day)

I imagine it's something to do with her contract: Lauren was the show's creator, so she likely gets this special mention whether she's still actively involved or not.  That said, I did ask at one point if she was aware that she's still prominently listed in the credits, since someone had quoted her as saying that she hasn't watched the show at all since she left the team.  Never heard back on that one.

Agreed. Personally I'm sick of people trying to demonize Hasbro for protecting their product from unwanted attention amongst other things.

HASBRO IS A BUSINESS EXPECT THEM TO ACT LIKE A BUSINESS.

I don't think Lauren is doing this just to spite Hasbro. It is well known she likes the Brony community, and I believe she stated her approval of the game before hand as well. The only motive I see here is kindness. Why else work with a team so closely without being paid? Out of pure spite? I seriously doubt Lauren is that petty. 

This whole "Lauren hates Hasbro" thing only really seemed to sprout because of Twilicorn. People who didn't like it grasped for further reasons to hate it. 

Good to hear a reasonable statement about Hasbro. To be honest I think Hasbro has acted far better than many other companies may have. Its fairly obvious they knew about the project for some time. Once someone has officially notified them of it they pretty much have to respond. The second the EVO thing was announced I saw this coming. The only way around it would have been a licence but that would only work if the characters were not doing things they wouldn't in the show...like beating the tar out of each other.  

Not only are they not dead they are probably in a far better position than they ever have been before. Working with Lauren Faust, possibly using the Skull girls engine, and far more possibility for distribution and growth now without the conflict of copyright.

Okay im not making these pictures up.

Here is a link to see proof that they are ligit

http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/skullgirls-engine-faq-teaser.html?m=1

These are teaser images of three characters

img-1290314-1-previewsilhouette_all.png

First appeared to be a llama

Second looks like a type of cow or bull

Third looks like some sort of deer

Look I'm upset about it no longer being the mane six.

But you know what, its okay. The fact that they didn't give up dispite what has happened amazes me. They had to redesign their game and you know what the fact that they decided to not give up is great.

You can argue with me whatever you want.

But I'll still be excited with whatever they make.

Yup. I saw these too. I have to admit, it is pretty exciting. I don't think anything like this really exists currently. I think the second might be a donkey. Again, regardless of trying to say who is at fault, it is quite impressive the tenacity this team has. I have high hopes for the project. 

• Brohoof 1

Snip

Snip

There is already a long-standing thread for discussion about Fighting is Magic in general. I have merged both your threads with it.
Edited by Full Spectrum

But they paraded this game around like the proverbial golden calf

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. What exactly are they supposed to do? Are you really sure that literally leaving EVERY SINGLE PONY FAN GAME PROJECT in the dark until they're finished is the absolute solution? Perhaps, but it's not going to happen.

-My Little Investigations

-Ponykart.

-Super Smash Ponies

-Welcome to Ponyville

All of these games should have, by your theory, been C&D'ed by Hasbro long ago. And the first two are old projects. And those are just the most known around, I believe. VERY FEW fan game creators will not at least say something about the game they're creating, especially because this is not how the community works. And especially if you're eventually looking for help, like it has probably happened in most of the fan games ever, pony or not. And also counting the fact that the chance for most of these games to exit to test in conventions is highly probable.

The TRUE mistake of Mane6, was for relying too much on Hasbro's lenient hand EVEN when they already had the EVO attention, and not go look for a license or such.

But what are they supposed to do? Say no? Turning down a Gamespot article, one of the main gaming pages in the world, and from a curious writer who came to THEM to write about because he liked their game? And turning down the chance to get to EVO, one of the most important fighting tournament IN THE WORLD, and the invitation having come FROM one of the founders and current organizers HIMSELF because he saw potential in their game?

I'm sorry, but I really, REALLY can't blame Mane6 for not saying less, when they have done WHAT AROUND 95% OF THE FAN GAME PROJECTS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD NEVER DID. Not only get a main spot article in one of the most important gaming online pages, but also the chance for their game to be a main game at one of the most important fighting games in the world. Frankly, it's almost not being able to understand the sheer emotion that they probably felt. Your humble game, in all of those things. Think about it.

And besides, the most they did was just a few videos on their drawing process, gameplay and stuff, and the Canterlot Gardens tournament for the most part. That's it. They did what most people in the world would have done. And it's also not their fault that a leak from a pre-alpha stage of their game got leaked which DEFINITELY helped on getting their work around the internet, whether they wanted to or not.

I wouldn't be so brash, but I really don't like when they say that Mane6 flaunted their game like it was their new car, when they did what most fan game developers would have done...

Edited by Eevee
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this. What exactly are they supposed to do? Are you really sure that literally leaving EVERY SINGLE PONY FAN GAME PROJECT in the dark until they're finished is the absolute solution? Perhaps, but it's not going to happen.

-My Little Investigations

-Ponykart.

-Super Smash Ponies

-Welcome to Ponyville

All of these games should have, by your theory, been C&D'ed by Hasbro long ago. And the first two are old projects. And those are just the most known around, I believe. VERY FEW fan game creators will not at least say something about the game they're creating, especially because this is not how the community works. And especially if you're eventually looking for help, like it has probably happened in most of the fan games ever, pony or not. And also counting the fact that the chance for most of these games to exit to test in conventions is highly probable.

The TRUE mistake of Mane6, was for relying too much on Hasbro's lenient hand EVEN when they already had the EVO attention, and not go look for a license or such.

But what are they supposed to do? Say no? Turning down a Gamespot article, one of the main gaming pages in the world, and from a curious writer who came to THEM to write about because he liked their game? And turning down the chance to get to EVO, one of the most important fighting tournament IN THE WORLD, and the invitation having come FROM one of the founders and current organizers HIMSELF because he saw potential in their game?

I'm sorry, but I really, REALLY can't blame Mane6 for not saying less, when they have done WHAT AROUND 95% OF THE FAN GAME PROJECTS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD NEVER DID. Not only get a main spot article in one of the most important gaming online pages, but also the chance for their game to be a main game at one of the most important fighting games in the world. Frankly, it's almost not being able to understand the sheer emotion that they probably felt. Your humble game, in all of those things. Think about it.

And besides, the most they did was just a few videos on their drawing process, gameplay and stuff, and the Canterlot Gardens tournament for the most part. That's it. They did what most people in the world would have done. And it's also not their fault that a leak from a pre-alpha stage of their game got leaked which DEFINITELY helped on getting their work around the internet, whether they wanted to or not.

I wouldn't be so brash, but I really don't like when they say that Mane6 flaunted their game like it was their new car, when they did what most fan game developers would have done...

I understand how you feel.  But the thing is, when you openly advertise a fangame, you're basically gambling with loaded dice.  Sure, there'll be some people that get away with it (Hasbro can't be everywhere), but there will also be people that don't get away with it.

All I was saying is that if you want a surefire way to avoid that, then don't advertise your game until it's completed, stay anonymous, and avoid the spotlight. 

Edited by SBaby

I understand how you feel.  But the thing is, when you openly advertise a fangame, you're basically gambling with loaded dice.  Sure, there'll be some people that get away with it (Hasbro can't be everywhere), but there will also be people that don't get away with it.   All I was saying is that if you want a surefire way to avoid that, then don't advertise your game until it's completed, stay anonymous, and avoid the spotlight.

Fair enough. :) It's just that the way you talk it seemed more... you know... "ultimate choice over here" or some such. I dunno, maybe it was me.

As for the first part, it is true, in the case with handling things with some company's property like Hasbro's MLP. It's just that it's so hard not to feel giddy about presenting it...sad.png

Im Thinking it may be a pony, in a way, or they are all pokemon in my opinion. They are also working on something called "SkullGirls".(Unless im blind and I don't know what im doing)

Yup. I saw these too. I have to admit, it is pretty exciting. I don't think anything like this really exists currently. I think the second might be a donkey. Again, regardless of trying to say who is at fault, it is quite impressive the tenacity this team has. I have high hopes for the project. 

Im Thinking it may be a pony, in a way, or they are all pokemon in my opinion. They are also working on something called "SkullGirls".(Unless im blind and I don't know what im doing)

Skull Girls is something totally separate from Mane6 and its already been produced.

And those would all be animals, pony included I'm sure. Can't be Pokemon as that wouldn't make sense and they'd have to deal with Gamefreak now.

Ahem...

A certain someone who may or may not be me may or may not have a download link that may or may not lead to a certain alpha release of a certain pony-based fighting game which may or may not have been shut down by "The Man." 

This information may or may not be available upon request.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

This is old news, but yeah. The problem with Hasbro was using the My Little Pony characters in such a way that Hasbro didn't want to grant a license to. Since Lauren Faust joined the team, she came up with original characters that aren't affiliated with any company; hence, no problem.