Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pixel Artist easing into the herd.

Pix3M

(edited)

Whoa, you're pixmeister? I've seen your works on dA, and I've been astounded by all of them! I especially love your 'Hurricane Fluttershy' creation. (and, you're also the only deviant on dA that I'm watching ;)) Welcome to the forums, and to the herd in general! :D I'm a pixel artist too, as you can see from the link to my dA in my signature (though, I'm not quite up to par with your skills...)

On a very side note... how long have you been doing pixel art? Or art in general? What did you do that helped you improve the most? Lately I've been trying to improve my skills, but I don't know where to start. Any tips you could spare me?

Edited by Ashbad

Whoa, you're pixmeister? I've seen your works on dA, and I've been astounded by all of them! I especially love your 'Hurricane Fluttershy' creation. (and, you're also the only deviant on dA that I'm watching ;)) Welcome to the forums, and to the herd in general! :D I'm a pixel artist too, as you can see from the link to my dA in my signature (though, I'm not quite up to par with your skills...)

On a very side note... how long have you been doing pixel art? Or art in general? What did you do that helped you improve the most? Lately I've been trying to improve my skills, but I don't know where to start. Any tips you could spare me?

How long have I been doing pixel art? It's hard to say. When I tried experimenting with making games in game maker so many years ago (out of pure curiosity), of course, I would naturally need to do some pixel art, but of course, I definitely wasn't anything special. Then, I took an art class in high scool in my junior year, then a photography class my senior year. They might not be pixel-art classes, but they still offer some pretty useful knowledge (yes, even photography!), such as the 'heavy borders' style you referred to which I picked up from the lessons on line-art.

Ever since that art class in high school, I started to realize I had an underdeveloped talent. I made a few small attempts at anime-styled pencil drawing here and there, and started making larger attempts at pixel art while I keep experimenting with game maker... Eventually, I decided to stop keeping stuff to myself and start doing pony art (since I know for sure I'll have an audience).

Pretty much, I think the better question is when I started art. Asking when I started pixel art is pretty superficial when most of the stuff you would apply to pixel art can be applied to other forms of art.

• Brohoof 1

How long have I been doing pixel art? It's hard to say. When I tried experimenting with making games in game maker so many years ago (out of pure curiosity), of course, I would naturally need to do some pixel art, but of course, I definitely wasn't anything special. Then, I took an art class in high scool in my junior year, then a photography class my senior year. They might not be pixel-art classes, but they still offer some pretty useful knowledge (yes, even photography!), such as the 'heavy borders' style you referred to which I picked up from the lessons on line-art.

Ever since that art class in high school, I started to realize I had an underdeveloped talent. I made a few small attempts at anime-styled pencil drawing here and there, and started making larger attempts at pixel art while I keep experimenting with game maker... Eventually, I decided to stop keeping stuff to myself and start doing pony art (since I know for sure I'll have an audience).

Pretty much, I think the better question is when I started art. Asking when I started pixel art is pretty superficial when most of the stuff you would apply to pixel art can be applied to other forms of art.

Ah, very nice! I'm a sophomore in high school, so I guess I still have have some opportunity to take some classes at a young age :) Unfortunately, my dad is making me pack my schedule with something like 5 AP classes for my junior year, and 7 in my senior year... So I'm not sure I'll actually be able to take an art class. I honestly would trade in good grades for some artistic training, but I don't think I'll be able to get it from school. So, I've decided to drop all of my free time devoted towards programming (I'm a "prodigy" when it come to computer science (or so I'm told every 5 minutes at school by my AP Comp. Sci. teacher and other teachers...) and I do some indie game development on the side -- I got hooked on learning how to do pixel art and art in general after trying to create some simple sprites for my early games) and spend it all on practicing art instead.

I'm not the greatest at drawing ponies, or anything at that matter; then again, I haven't been in an art class since 6th grade, and I honestly feel I have at least a decent bit of raw artistic talent. I'm hoping to learn to draw ponies better over time, so I'm using those "online pony drawing tutorials" to reinforce pony anatomy in my head (I'm getting there, but it'll take quite some time, I'm sure). It takes me 2 hours on average to outline my ponies that I pixel art, since I really have to fiddle to make them look right; once I have the basic shape though, I can start throwing the pixeling techniques I know at them.

Would you suggest that I simply improve my drawing skills first before I continue with pixel art?

And, I have to throw this in again: your work looks awesome. :D (on a side note, it seems you remember my comment from dA on that really great AJ sprite ^_^)

(edited)

Awesome, thanks for the icons ^__^

I'll use them for my USB devices.

"What?! How can you put a custom icon for your USB flash memory?!"

[Autorun]
Label=CustomUsbNameGoesHere
Icon=IconName.ico
Save as .inf

Then put the icon file and the .inf into the usb and make both the icon and the inf file "hidden"

oh, I almost forgot:

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by Jokuc

You are amazing, I can tell by just a 10 second flat look at your DA page that you are at least 20% cooler than me.

Welcome to the Forums and I'm sure that you'll love it here! :lol:

Ah, very nice! I'm a sophomore in high school, so I guess I still have have some opportunity to take some classes at a young age :) Unfortunately, my dad is making me pack my schedule with something like 5 AP classes for my junior year, and 7 in my senior year... So I'm not sure I'll actually be able to take an art class. I honestly would trade in good grades for some artistic training, but I don't think I'll be able to get it from school. So, I've decided to drop all of my free time devoted towards programming (I'm a "prodigy" when it come to computer science (or so I'm told every 5 minutes at school by my AP Comp. Sci. teacher and other teachers...) and I do some indie game development on the side -- I got hooked on learning how to do pixel art and art in general after trying to create some simple sprites for my early games) and spend it all on practicing art instead.

I'm not the greatest at drawing ponies, or anything at that matter; then again, I haven't been in an art class since 6th grade, and I honestly feel I have at least a decent bit of raw artistic talent. I'm hoping to learn to draw ponies better over time, so I'm using those "online pony drawing tutorials" to reinforce pony anatomy in my head (I'm getting there, but it'll take quite some time, I'm sure). It takes me 2 hours on average to outline my ponies that I pixel art, since I really have to fiddle to make them look right; once I have the basic shape though, I can start throwing the pixeling techniques I know at them.

Would you suggest that I simply improve my drawing skills first before I continue with pixel art?

And, I have to throw this in again: your work looks awesome. :D (on a side note, it seems you remember my comment from dA on that really great AJ sprite ^_^)

I'm no art expert but just some talented person. I dunno if doing stuff in pencil would be better practice than pixel art, but I prefer to stick with digital since my fine motor skills aren't the sharpest in the world, so I can undo mistakes with ease.

Ooh, and whenever you wanna try animating, having a grasp of physical science would help. (lol @ people forgetting Newton's third law)

oooh, forgot to mention. I recommend reading "Drawing on the right side of the brain", which I hear is a GREAT book to read. It basically talks about how people ought to shift their focus on the hemisphere of the brain that is the one that is good at art, and people who do this can go from completely untalented to being pretty good. I only gave myself the time to skim through the juicy parts of it and found some rather interesting advice myself, but it might do the same for you.

oooh, forgot to mention. I recommend reading "Drawing on the right side of the brain", which I hear is a GREAT book to read. It basically talks about how people ought to shift their focus on the hemisphere of the brain that is the one that is good at art, and people who do this can go from completely untalented to being pretty good. I only gave myself the time to skim through the juicy parts of it and found some rather interesting advice myself, but it might do the same for you.

Sounds like a must-read! I'm quite developed in my analytic side of the brain, but I'd give anything to give that power to the other side in terms of visual art. I'll be sure to check it out ^_^ thanks for the advice!