Hello all

weirdodragoncat

My Favourite Mane 6 Pony

twilight-sparkle

How did you find MLP Forums?

Babscon website

How you became a fan of My Little Pony

Friend of mine sqeed about it so much I gave in and watched

Finally getting set up here. Got most of my profile set up but I can't figure out how to get around the ridiculously tiny file size requirement for a profile picture. Anyone know how to deal with that? I have an OC that I'd love to use as my pic but I can't seem to re-size the image *enough* to satisfy this site's requirements.

Attached is a copy of the pic I want to use

Amethyst Deceiver 2.jpg

• Brohoof 5

Hi Dragoncat and welcome to the forums. I know your file size issue is resolved, but in case you have this problem in the future, on GIMP if you export your image and choose the jpg file type you'll be given an option to lower the quality which will lower the file size. I'd recommend exporting it with a different name so you don't overwrite your original full quality image.

But that aside, I hope you enjoy your time on here. If you have any questions about anything or want to chat, feel free to send me a message. :)

• Brohoof 1

Hello Dragon Cat, nice to meet you. Welcome to forums. I hope you get use to our community as soon as possible and i am sure that you ll meet lots of ponies there. If you wish to ask or talk about anything, i ll be around. See ya..   :)

• Brohoof 2

Hello! ^_^ 

Welcome to the herd! :) 

On 16.04.2017 at 11:41 PM, weirdodragoncat said:

I tried about 3 times in GIMP but it just wasn't ever good enough

I know I'm late with this, but for future reference, if you'd like to resize an image using GIMP, then just use the 'Scale Image...' function located under 'Image' tab.

Spoiler

FmqJed3.png

All you need to do is to change width and height. Basically, reducing these numbers will make the image smaller. By default, the 'chains' next to these numbers are enabled, so when you'll change one number, for example width, then height will be automatically changed as well, to keep the proportions. You can click on chains to disable them in order to scale width and height individually, but that will result in stretched image. You can also perform simple maths by putting for example 2000/5, so that it will automatically divide the size by 5, which will return 400.

If you additionally want to quickly crop the image, then before resizing, use the Rectangle select tool. Select the part you want to keep, for example face, copy it using CTRL+C, then press V while holding CTRL and SHIFT to paste the copied selection in a new image.

Spoiler

hWtl5KO.png

JOUTAPS.png

Then you can scale it up and down to your needs, using the function explained above.

Finally, if everything looks okay, just export the image:

Spoiler

KxvsOYN.png

In the filename, you need to include the extension. Most commonly used format is .png, but if you want to reduce the filesize even more, then replace it with .jpg, though that will also harm the quality of the image.

And done! Now you have your awesome image ready to be used as an avatar! :)

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2