Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Multiple posts & double posting

Sparklefan1234

I was wondering what the moderators stance was on double posting in topics on the forums?

The reason I'm asking is, 

ever since the update to the forums I've been accidently making double posts constantly in topics when before the update occured my post

would just be overwritten if I had accidently double posted somewhere. Like, the fan clubs section for instance.

I have been reporting my posts when I make those mistakes but, I don't want to waste the mods time if it's really no big deal.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

Before the update two posts that same person posted in a row in topic I believe within 24h without anyone else posting between those posts, merged the latter post into the first post and didn't make completely new post like it does now.

I think the feature before was good though I'm not sure if it's possible in the new version.

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I was wondering what the moderators stance was on double posting in topics on the forums?

The reason I'm asking is, 

ever since the update to the forums I've been accidently making double posts constantly in topics when before the update occured my post

would just be overwritten if I had accidently double posted somewhere. Like, the fan clubs section for instance.

I have been reporting my posts when I make those mistakes but, I don't want to waste the mods time if it's really no big deal.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

If you accidentally made a double post, you can report the second post so that a moderator or sectional can remove it.

• Brohoof 2

I suppose the appropriate follow-up question would be 

Is self-reporting and using the edit feature a requirement or best practice for users. What is the current official stance on this?

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, ooBrony said:

Before the update two posts that same person posted in a row in topic I believe within 24h without anyone else posting between those posts, merged the latter post into the first post and didn't make completely new post like it does now.

I think the feature before was good though I'm not sure if it's possible in the new version.

2 hours ago, Yellow Diamond said:

If you accidentally made a double post, you can report the second post so that a moderator or sectional can remove it.

Is it possible to make it automatically merge, anymore or not?

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, SpongeBobsLittlePony said:

Is it possible to make it automatically merge, anymore or not?

It *might* be... I haven't found the setting for it yet. Or whether it got migrated to an add-on we don't have or not. I'm still looking.

Found something....Testing...

Okay, that's a different way of resolving that issue. I really didn't expect that.

I found a 'merge co-current posts' setting, but it seems to interact with other functions in an odd way. At least with this post I just did it automatically put the text of my previous message in the 'post new' box as if you were going to edit it. I'm not entirely convinced this is a reasonable way of dealing with it... We're going to have to experiment and see if that was just a one-time glitch or if this is continues like this.

Testing again.... No, the duplication of the text seems to have been a one-time glitch. I think I have this one beat.

• Brohoof 3