Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Merging messagss

DubWolf

So normally I'll send a new message on a PM thread and it sends a new message just to *boop* someone if I was already the last person to reply. Now it merges it with the last message and thus no new notification of my message is sent, resulting in just "editing" the last message and the person doesn't know I sent them a new message.

I don't like that :maud: .

Same, happens with me all the time. Sometimes I'll have a small talk conversation, it'll finish, and I'll try to start a new one, but it will merge my replies and therefore won't notify the other person.

I don't like that at all. 1/5

Does the same thing apply for topics? I know on IPB3, the posts were merged and then those following the topic were notified, but does it still do that? I just posted new information in a thread that I was the last to respond to 21 hours ago so the posts were merged, and I don't know if people will see it.

• Brohoof 2

21 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Does the same thing apply for topics? I know on IPB3, the posts were merged and then those following the topic were notified, but does it still do that? I just posted new information in a thread that I was the last to respond to 21 hours ago so the posts were merged, and I don't know if people will see it.

I think that's why we're seeing this; double-posting has been patched but now messages can't be doubled or resent in the same thread

44 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Yes, it will merge a reply to a subsequent post even if said post is the OP. This is what it did in the prior version, though there was a time frame limit on it (24 hours). Also, on the old software, if your post is merged it didn't trigger notifications. I don't believe this one does either. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Yes, it will merge a reply to a subsequent post even if said post is the OP. This is what it did in the prior version, though there was a time frame limit on it (24 hours). Also, on the old software, if your post is merged it didn't trigger notifications. I don't believe this one does either. 

But this can be changed right :please: ? I'm sure many of us like to keep one PM thread for conversations with a friend and it'd be difficult to know when your friend is trying to get a hold of you in a practical way (I.e., not saying "check your PMs" on someone's profile feed) by PM if it just merges the message.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Also, on the old software, if your post is merged it didn't trigger notifications.

Are you sure? There was one time when someone made multiple posts in a row and although they were merged, I got notified about every post he tried to make.

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Are you sure? There was one time when someone made multiple posts in a row and although they were merged, I got notified about every post he tried to make.

I'm fairly positive that had to do with a different aspect of how notifications worked. Its easy enough for me to test since I have a household with three users on here :P

I'll try later tonight. 

18 minutes ago, Ghost Wolf said:

But this can be changed right :please: ? I'm sure many of us like to keep one PM thread for conversations with a friend and it'd be difficult to know when your friend is trying to get a hold of you in a practical way (I.e., not saying "check your PMs" on someone's profile feed) by PM if it just merges the message.

That would be an annoyance in specific cases, and a relief in others I suppose. 

Not sure if there is anything in the ACP that configures the merging feature differently for PM's. The Admins would have to look into it.

@Fhaolan ... Dutch boy and well thing is happening again. ;)

• Brohoof 2

Fudge. Now I can't find the stupid auto-merge setting again. I found it yesterday, where was that? Okay, found it again.

*grump* There's no separate setting for PMs vs Posts. If automerging is turned on, it's turned on everywhere it seems. It's currently set for 24 hours, or well 1440 minutes to be accurate as that's the granularity it wants. Maybe that's too long of a time, first off. Maybe eight hours is more reasonable?

Second, I think this is interacting with the 'don't get more than one notification for a thingy' function. If the person hasn't looked at their notifications, they don't get additional notifications for a topic/PM. But I might be misinterpreting.

I'm not sure there's a way to fix this. Either automerging is on, or it's not. And people have complained when automerging was not on, which is why I was looking for that setting in the first place.

• Brohoof 4

13 minutes ago, Fhaolan said:

Second, I think this is interacting with the 'don't get more than one notification for a thingy' function. If the person hasn't looked at their notifications, they don't get additional notifications for a topic/PM. But I might be misinterpreting.

I remembered how notifications work on the new software after I submitted my post, but I still don't know if people that read my post would get notified about the second post I tried to make.

3 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

Fudge. Now I can't find the stupid auto-merge setting again. I found it yesterday, where was that? Okay, found it again.

*grump* There's no separate setting for PMs vs Posts. If automerging is turned on, it's turned on everywhere it seems. It's currently set for 24 hours, or well 1440 minutes to be accurate as that's the granularity it wants. Maybe that's too long of a time, first off. Maybe eight hours is more reasonable?

I'm not sure there's a way to fix this. Either automerging is on, or it's not. And people have complained when automerging was not on, which is why I was looking for that setting in the first place.

How low can it be set and why did people not like auto-merging? Was it on PMs or posts where complaints arises?

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Ghost Wolf said:

How low can it be set and why did people not like auto-merging? Was it on PMs or posts where complaints arises?

heres a topic about it 

Though my viewpoint on the matter is that merging is good in the small timeframe to prevent double posts or spam  though not sure about PMs since they are kinda different in the manner of content but I believe merging should be fine there too with a reasonable timeframe.

• Brohoof 3

13 minutes ago, ooBrony said:

heres a topic about it 

Though my viewpoint on the matter is that merging is good in the small timeframe to prevent double posts or spam  though not sure about PMs since they are kinda different in the manner of content but I believe merging should be fine there too with a reasonable timeframe.

Yup, personally I think down to an hour or even 30 minutes should suffice and prevent people from just spamming for a higher post count. I don't think it'd be worth it to constantly wait 30 minutes for a thread to be "postable" again. I'm biased in which I often send a new PM right after maybe a few minutes if I have something new to say.

• Brohoof 3

Reducing the time is probably a good idea yes. In the old system I had a habit of adding additional thoughts almost immediately after posting so I quite like the merge feature. It's easier than editing in an extra line or two. 24 hours is a bit excessive though. 

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, Iced_Coffee Nerd said:

I really hate the merging message thing, but sadly my messages are merging in my art dump, :(

Well the good news is that at 30 minutes it's now better than the old forum which did the same thing for years. :D

Some hated double posting ... some hated merging. This was one time that compromise was needed. I think a good middle ground was found. 

• Brohoof 3

20 hours ago, Iced_Coffee Nerd said:

I really hate the merging message thing, but sadly my messages are merging in my art dump, :(

It annoyed me too. At least back in IP.B3 it did, because it seemed to do it randomly half the time. I'm hoping this IP.B4 version is more consistent at least.