Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Is Disney's Hellfire full of controversies

AwesomePony14

The villain song is an apostate christian song

One of the lyrics "He makes a devil so much stronger than a man" is actually a word when you sell your soul to Satan

Beata Maria translated to Blessed Mary refer to Mother Of Jesus

The lyrics "Like Fire,Hellfire This fire in my skin this burning desire is turning me to sin" has word sin in it

Sin is mentioned in the song's lyrics

The verses of the song before the chorus part sounds like a temptation

"I Feel Her,I See Her The Sun caught on her raven hair is blazing in me out of control" it sounds like a temptation

The last chorus lyrics:

Hellfire,Dark Fire

Now Gypsy it's your turn choose me or your pyre

Be mine or you will burn

Pyre means burned in stakes

So if it translated

It will be sounded like this:

Hellfire Dark Fire

Now Gypsy it's your turn choose me or burned in stakes

Be mine or you will burn

Kyrie Eleison chantings in the ending part is very controversy

It means "Lord have mercy"

The catholic church chantings in the song's lyrics are very controversy and very full of christian religion imagery

The chantings,the lyrics are very very controversies because catholic prayer confiteor is used as an intro to the song

In Hebrew dub of the song God is changed to Elohim/Yahweh the God of Judaism and Christianity

Very,Very,Very Controversy

Edited by AwesomePony14
Incompleted

I think when they wrote this song they had very little understanding of what they were writing and just put in whatever they thought sounded 'cool'. Such is very often the case with Hollywood. Just like in Disney's Hercules, with the song 'The Gospel Truth' which is actually referring to mythical figures of 'gods' and not having anything to do with the Gospel. 'Thou shall have no other gods before me' is the first commandment, so it's a pretty inappropriate theme for a song with such a title. But since the song was sung in the 'Gospel style', I guess they thought that was clever and cool and gave it little more thought than that. 

Very controversial indeed. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

Yes and no.

The thing is Controversial means that people are going to be upset by it.

But in the movie its not like every Catholic we see is acting/singing/thinking like this.

As a matter of fact we have a great example of a good Catholic at the start of the movie.

Frolo is a mad man. He literally spends the entire movie justifying things he does in any way he can. The movie does not think to hard about the song because Frolo is clearly wrong about his concept of (Being tempted and blaming it on the female character) - Its actually one of the best songs disney ever did from the perspective of really pushing the envelope. but not in that kind of controversial way.

If you want a reason its controversial... Just consider this is a disney movie and he's CLEARLY singing about sexual desire... not romantic feelings. Even as a child it would be almost impossible to take it any other way. (Nor should it be) Hunch Back didn't do well at the box office.. but I actually argue that's because it was the most adult movie Disney did the "The golden decade"

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I think when they wrote this song there was very little understanding of what they were writing and just put in whatever they thought sounded 'cool'. Such is very often the case with Hollywood. Just like in Disney's Hercules, with the song 'The Gospel Truth' which is actually referring to mythical figures of 'gods' and not having anything to do with the Gospel. 'Thou shall have no other gods before me' is the first commandment, so it's a pretty inappropriate theme for a song with such a title. But since the song was sung in the 'Gospel style', I guess they thought that was clever and cool and gave it little more thought than that. 

Very controversial indeed. 

But the song sequence contains strong languages,sex,nudity,disturbing image and hell

During Mea Culpa Sequence of the song there is red hooded faceless figures standing in the room

The figures is scary when they chanted Mea Culpa 

The song's sequence is take place in night time it's scary 

14 hours ago, blackstarraven said:

Yes and no.

The thing is Controversial means that people are going to be upset by it.

But in the movie its not like every Catholic we see is acting/singing/thinking like this.

As a matter of fact we have a great example of a good Catholic at the start of the movie.

Frolo is a mad man. He literally spends the entire movie justifying things he does in any way he can. The movie does not think to hard about the song because Frolo is clearly wrong about his concept of (Being tempted and blaming it on the female character) - Its actually one of the best songs disney ever did from the perspective of really pushing the envelope. but not in that kind of controversial way.

If you want a reason its controversial... Just consider this is a disney movie and he's CLEARLY singing about sexual desire... not romantic feelings. Even as a child it would be almost impossible to take it any other way. (Nor should it be) Hunch Back didn't do well at the box office.. but I actually argue that's because it was the most adult movie Disney did the "The golden decade"

He actually not that mad until he lusted on Esmeralda

He is tempted with sins 

He blamed Esmeralda is the reason of his sin but it's not true he sinned even more

During Hellfire Sequence,he blamed that Esmeralda is the reason of it,this is the word that he say:

It's not my fault

I'm not to blame

It is the gypsy girl the witch who send this flame

It's not my fault

If in God's plan

He make a devil so much stronger than a man

You see 

He blamed Esmeralda as a reason of his sin but Esmeralda dind't do anything wrong that mean he sinning even more

He is not mad until his lust toward Esmeralda turned him mad and insane 

Also your meaning about controversy is wrong

Controversy is about anything that connected to Christianity religion

• Brohoof 1

I mean it is the most adult song placed in a Disney movie, but I haven't really heard a lot of controversy about it, or the movie it came from or at least that I can recall.

• Brohoof 1

Frolo is a twisted man obsessed pure and simple. The song (and others) is fairly complex and has a lot of imagery and color symbolizing the characters and their way of thinking and self motivation. You see it when Frolo shifts back and forth between the colors of blue and red when going back and forth in his singing and rationalizing, You found the song upsetting, so apparently it is controversial for you in a very unpleasant way... I personally did not see an issue with it at all. I feel Disney did a great job getting their point across in defining Frolo and his thinking and obsession. Like most obsessed individuals, in his mind it is not his fault and the blame lies in the object of his obsession... she exists therefore it is her fault he is obsessed with her. He then uses his "faith" and "beliefs" to justify his rationality and his course of thinking. He is too weak to admit the truth to himself and accept his own weaknesses and fallibility, so instead he paints it as the devils work and her bewitching of him. Afterwords he just surrenders completely to his vices and declares that she will choose him or burn.... in other words she will actually have no choice at all. None of that is controversial actually since it literally happens all the time in real life and most decry it as the thinking of sick individuals... the only controversy here is that Disney had the guts to tackle it (as best they could considering the intended audience) and make a song centering on it. As others have said, it is probably their most "adult song"... and although the song itself may be controversial for its inclusion in the film, I don't think it in itself is filled with them, rather it is fairly straight forward and unapologetic about its design and subject.

Controversial in what way? He's literally singing about his struggling faith as a holy man in a position where he can practically get anything he wants. It's more drastic than most but the song is all about showing that even a man of his stature is only human.

• Brohoof 1

1.  I like the song "Hellfire" especially sang by Jonathan Young. If you guys haven't heard it, I would recommend it.
  2. What Discordian said, about him being pulled apart between as a holy man and as a "greedy" man.  At the same time having love sickness.
  3. I will give you credit for breaking each of the lyrics down with a background knowledge's from the bible/church. Giving it more meaning to it. Nicely done. 
Edited by TBD

13 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I mean it is the most adult song placed in a Disney movie, but I haven't really heard a lot of controversy about it, or the movie it came from or at least that I can recall.

If you read the hellfire song in wikipedia

You will find that this disney song is very controversy

The controversies of the song is because the song have many imagery of Lust,Sin,Hell and Eternal Damnation

If you watch the classical latin fandub on youtube

You will find the meaning of Beata Maria

Beata Maria is classical latin for Blessed Mary it refer to Mary,Mother of Jesus in the holy bible

In classical latin "Dark Fire" is replaced by "Evil's Fire"

French dub have also have a different meanings when translated to english

The part of "Choose me or your pyre" and "Be Mine Or You will Burn" is replaced by "Choose me or my passion will lead you straight to hell"

I wouldn't say it's controversial at all. The song's lyrics are all about accepted beliefs from the bible. Or rather the beliefs held by the church during that time period. It's pretty historically accurate but there is still the sense of dramatic flare.

For it to be controversial it would kind of need to be attempting to challenge people's viewpoints on something when Frollo's personal battle with faith actually resonates with a lot of people. The fact that he's technically the villain in the movie changes nothing.

(edited)
23 hours ago, Discordian said:

I wouldn't say it's controversial at all. The song's lyrics are all about accepted beliefs from the bible. Or rather the beliefs held by the church during that time period. It's pretty historically accurate but there is still the sense of dramatic flare.

For it to be controversial it would kind of need to be attempting to challenge people's viewpoints on something when Frollo's personal battle with faith actually resonates with a lot of people. The fact that he's technically the villain in the movie changes nothing.

He's a churchgoing villain

Look at tv tropes

Churchgoing villain is a villain that hides behind religion

Frollo is hiding behind Catholic religion 

He justified his deeds as God's will

He's hiding behind Christian religion all the time

It doesn't changed nothing it changed everything:angry:

Edited by AwesomePony14
Incompleted

18 hours ago, AwesomePony14 said:

Look at tv tropes

Churchgoing villain is a villain that hides behind religion

Frollo is hiding behind Catholic religion 

He justified his deeds as God's will

He's hiding behind Christian religion all the time

It doesn't changed nothing it changed everything:angry:

He stuck by his beliefs. He was technically doing exactly as his religion demanded. As far as he and the people of the city were concerned he was righteous through and through. Seemingly it wasn't until the events of the movie that he really went over the edge. He was benevolent enough to take in Quasimodo when he could have killed him alongside his mother.

4 hours ago, Discordian said:

He stuck by his beliefs. He was technically doing exactly as his religion demanded. As far as he and the people of the city were concerned he was righteous through and through. Seemingly it wasn't until the events of the movie that he really went over the edge. He was benevolent enough to take in Quasimodo when he could have killed him alongside his mother.

He killed his mother accidently

But he must raise Quasimodo to pay the blood that he spilled 

The eyes of Notre Dame is actually Judeo-Christian God that watching him through many statues for his sin that he commited

To avoid this punishment,he must raise a child that have her mother killed by him

He felt in fear because Yahweh can see his wrongdoings through eyes of notre dame

On 20/4/2017 at 3:44 AM, TBD said:
  1.  I like the song "Hellfire" especially sang by Jonathan Young. If you guys haven't heard it, I would recommend it.
  2. What Discordian said, about him being pulled apart between as a holy man and as a "greedy" man.  At the same time having love sickness.
  3. I will give you credit for breaking each of the lyrics down with a background knowledge's from the bible/church. Giving it more meaning to it. Nicely done. 

TBD you also must watch the latin fandub by 0ivette in youtube

You will find all the meaning of latin chantings in the lyrics