Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the first two parter the worst episodes of the series?

Azureth

4 hours ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Worst episode In my opinion is Magical Musical Cancer Magical Mystery Cure. It was crammed with music I couldn't stand for more than 5 seconds and the plot to me seemed like Hasbro had obviously ran out of ideas for the rest of the show, so they add a poorly explained plot twist for the rest of the series.

Magical Mystery Cure is GODLIKE, you filthy heathen! xD Enough of your shameless blasphemy!

Here, even this whiny, autistic, jaded cartoon critic agrees:

https://youtu.be/MXQn92ZEyO8?t=19m

Edited by K.Rool Addict

1 hour ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Magical Mystery Cure is GODLIKE, you filthy heathen! xD Enough of your shameless blasphemy!

Here, even this whiny, autistic, jaded cartoon critic agrees:

https://youtu.be/MXQn92ZEyO8?t=19m

Maybe it was great in your opinion, but I feel like it was terrible in most every way possible. Exceptionally fast? pacing (still think the episode could've been made a load shorter than it was with what happened in it...), a spontaneous plot twist for the rest of the series to adjust to, horrible songs (In my opinion, worse than when Pinkie got auto-tuned :eww:), and I just found the majority of the last 4 minutes really boring.

Did you just use autism as an insult? -_- Yeah thanks. Also, just because a critic that you seem not to like agrees with you doesn't mean I should.

Edited by Nerdy Luigi
I got mixxed up -_-
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Exceptionally slow pacing

O_O; 

Umm, What!? MMC has like, the FASTEST pacing in the series! xD Most people complain the pacing was too damn fast!

4 minutes ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

Did you just use autism as an insult? -_- Yeah thanks. Also, just because a critic that you seem not to like agrees with you doesn't mean I should.

xD I read your post in the "Internet Terms you Hate" or w/e it was called. I figured this would be a funny little bit of humor in direction to you. 

But NO, I did not use autism as an insult. MrEnter IS legitimately autistic xD (he has some pretty decent content, but MAN is the guy whiny lol)

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

O_O; 

Umm, What!? MMC has like, the FASTEST pacing in the series! xD Most people complain the pacing was too damn fast!

xD I read your post in the "Internet Terms you Hate" or w/e it was called. I figured this would be a funny little bit of humor in direction to you. 

But NO, I did not use autism as an insult. MrEnter IS legitimately autistic xD (he has some pretty decent content, but MAN is the guy whiny lol)

I changed my post to reflect that... Though for a finale, not much really happened, in my opinion other than a lot of singing and Twilight turning into an Alicorn princess. All I remember really happening in the episode, but yet again I probably disliked it so much I subconsciously chose not to remember most of it.

I figured as much... I couldn't tell if it was meant as an insult, though to me it seemed like you called him autistic to match up with the rest of the words you used.  (I can definitely agree on him about Autism Speaks though. Seriously, those people are like the KKK directed at autism, and I absolutely despise them for it.)

• Brohoof 2

The first two episodes of Season 7 were decent, and had some great moments for characters. These weren't the worst episodes (by far) or the worst premiers. Were they grand slams? Maybe not, but I'm satisfied with a triple sending a runner home. ;)

On 4/19/2017 at 9:02 AM, Hierok said:

Why is Magical Mystery Cure a bad episode?

"Magical Mystery Cure" makes no sense. It opens with a song which only exists to tempt fate, as a literal joke about the fact that right after the opening everything goes wrong. If the songs aren't about absolutely nothing, hurt by the terrible plotting, and there's so many of them in rapid succession, and so many of them contribute nothing except trying to force emotion, that it becomes exhausting. More importantly, the plot makes no sense, moves too quickly to have any satisfying buildup, and there's no reason why Twilight became an alicorn princess at all. The episode tries to justify it by expressing "how far she's come," but what about her friends who have also come a long way? What about anyone else who might have grown even more? It doesn't ring true. Also, it keeps repeating "destiny," but it doesn't seem like anyone has control over their destiny, which is honestly kinda horrifying but is presented as if it's a good thing. Also, I blame it for every time Twilight has been boringly perfect in the following seasons, so it's really only gotten worse for me over time. 

• Brohoof 1

On 4/20/2017 at 3:43 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

"Magical Mystery Cure" makes no sense.

If you have a hard time understanding that episode, I'm willing to explain it to you. Unless you meant something else besides 'sense'. 

It opens with a song which only exists to tempt fate, as a literal joke about the fact that right after the opening everything goes wrong

It's a narrative technique that has proven fairly effective in many pieces of fiction. Can you find any examples of this in Broadway, narrative fiction, or cinema?

If the songs aren't about absolutely nothing

What song was about nothing?

except trying to force emotion

Well, the conveyance of emotion is an element of style present in most forms of artwork. Did the songs success in conyeying emotion cause their failure?

Also, it keeps repeating "destiny," but it doesn't seem like anyone has control over their destiny, which is honestly kinda horrifying but is presented as if it's a good thing

Libertarian Free Will vs Predestination is a wonderful philosophical aspect to discuss in a narrative, and one that academic scholarship has yet to soundly explore to it's complete truth, and yes it is in fact terrifying. Is this an appropriate concept to explore in FiM?

Also, I blame it for every time Twilight has been boringly perfect in the following seasons

Outside of Season 4, has this really been the case? Have we seen Twilight act perfect in all of her Season 5-7 appearances? 

and there's no reason why Twilight became an alicorn princess at all

Are there any episodes following MCM where Twilight's station or new form benefited Equestria or another nation? Directly? Indirectly? 

No, the first part is premiere, world-building and character-inroducing gold. The second part is way below the show's standards as we've some to see. But yeah, because of the second part, it is overall the "worst" two-parter but Friendship Is Magic, Part 2 is much better than the customary once-a-season dud such as Owl's Well That Ends Well, Dragon Quest, Spike At Your Service, Simple Ways and Princess Spike.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix

I was lucky enough to start the series from the very first episode.

(After I saw the Flutterguy clip, and grew curious enough to download season one)

I found the originating two parter to be very good indeed. I loved watching Twilight being forced by circumstance to gain the friendships she thought she had no need of. Then she learned that she did need friends, and she started on the road that lead to my beloved Princess of Friendship! 

My only complaint was that it wasn't the start of a season long story arc. That's mainly (manely) because I'm an anime fan, and that's what I've grown used to in an animated show of this quality.

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, Jeric said:

If you have a hard time understanding that episode, I'm willing to explain it to you. Unless you meant something else besides 'sense'.

I cut my post down from a few paragraphs full of rhetorical questions, but the big one is why the mane five didn't just do something else when they realized their cutie marks weren't working. Or why nobody else told them they were acting weird. Or why, if the entire town was altered, Twilight didn't need to save the entire town. Or why Rarity seems to like her new cutie mark while Pinkie doesn't. This aspect probably became more frustrating than it otherwise would have been because the episode didn't have the intended emotional effect on me. 

What song was about nothing?

I confess to exaggerating that point, since it's really only two. "Morning in Ponyville" is a touch superfluous, and "I've Got to Find a Way" doesn't have a big narrative impact. "I've Got to Find a Way" is the main one which came to mind, because it only exists to establish a sense of despair which wasn't built up a whole lot and which is dispelled almost immediately afterwards. 

Outside of Season 4, has this really been the case? Have we seen Twilight act perfect in all of her Season 5-7 appearances?

Season 7 has been doing better, but there's only a few exceptions in season 5 and 6 compared (in order: "What About Discord?," "The Hooffields & McColts," "No Second Prances," "The Saddle Row Review") compared to all of the supporting appearances and stuff like "P.P.O.V." and "Amending Fences" where she does nothing wrong and doesn't need to learn anything. I don't even like all of those episodes I listed, though, and my problems are often directly linked to Twilight being a princess, so perhaps it'd be more accurate to blame "Magical Mystery Cure" for every problem I've had with Twilight since. 

Are there any episodes following MCM where Twilight's station or new form benefited Equestria or another nation? Directly? Indirectly? 

Oh, she's justified it now, though I suspect many of those could be done without her being a princess. In "Magical Mystery Cure" proper, though, I have no idea why it's her and not anyone else. If it's because she completed the spell, shouldn't that be what the episode said about it? And that's not really a strong ending to her emotional arc, is it? 

By the way, why are you replying with questions? It's not great conversation.

Edited by AlexanderThrond

Well, it's true that it broke the trend to make Equestria go bonkers premiere, but I think we should judge the episodes for their own merits. for me, I think they have been great slice of life episodes, and made the season start with the right foot