Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Thorax' Change In Character

FizzyGreen

So, Thorax instantly changed in character once he transformed, like the other changelings, and suddenly was the biggest changeling in the room (the "room" had no roof btw) and the changelings accepted him as a leader.

He also started looking really confident and relaxed from then on. He transformed from the all-shy little changeling to the big confident-looking changeling in no time and seems to accept his duty.

I would like to know, what you think about that.

What's your opinion? Do you have a theory? Or an explaination that justifies his change?

I would really like to know!

Edited by FizzyGreen
  • Brohoof 1

I think that he kind of went through a Major Jump off screen. Like from one episode, he's still shy thorax but then suddenly he is able to rule in a confident and profession manner, Rulers aren't just made overnight! I agree with @BlueStreak98 that we're going to see an episode down the line focusing on it.

A few things are different with his situation compared to his brethren:

1. He seemed to be born a nice guy, whereas the others were pretty nasty as nymphs.
  2. He had a lot of time in the Crystal Empire to learn how to better interact with others.
  3. He spent a long time all by himself, so he has some decent survival skills.

Having said all that, I still think under that layer of confidence he's still nervous. You could see in the finale despite his courage he still was scared on the inside. He may look more regal now, but there hasn't been much change to his personality other than the joy he's gained in knowing his species doesn't have to starve anymore.

• Brohoof 1

It goes hand in hand with his growth of character. As he stood up to Chrysalis as the true hero within, his outward appearance changed to reflect his inner growth, particularly in regards to courage and leadership. 

• Brohoof 2

This is why keeping his original VA was a stroke of genius. His voice helps to reinforce his old traits and remind the audience that he is still Thorax. His expressions and mannerisms help to drive home that he is still a work in progress so his characterization is completely consistent with what we've seen before. 

The writing, animation, and acting are all in sync on this character so far. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

We needed more episodes with Thorax in the Crystal Empire.

Come to think, he shouldn't have transformed a meagre 10 episodes after being introduced. Either have introduced him in S5, or make the changeling reformation happen at the end of S7 instead of 6. We needed to see him develop more.

In my head I built up another 'base' for the show, in the CE rather than Ponyville. If only for several episodes in the space of a season, you would have Thorax, Sunburst, Shining Armor, Cadence, and Flurry Heart in close proximity to one another. I think this would have made for some good interactions for all of them; to give each a chance to 'flex'.

Celestial Advice fed us a few details regarding mundane Changeling culture. We should have gotten more of than S6, as well as more Crystal Empire culture. We had a bit of the latter in the S6 opening, but we are still starved on both fronts.