Thoughts on "A Flurry of Emotions"  

171 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Nope. Definitely more of a flurry than a blizzard. >_>
    • Not really...
    • It's just meh...so meh.
    • I enjoyed it well enough.
    • YES!!! You could say it was flurry-rific! <3

Well color me surprised... I figured I would hate this episode pretty much.. and can honestly say i liked it a LOT more than I would have ever imagined. It was a lot of fun and i really enjoyed the interactions between Twilight, Flurry and Spike. Loved the call back to Pinkies secret hideout.

• Brohoof 11

Just now, Kyoshi said:

Despite a tad rushed resolution (Not an issue really), this episode did go beyond any expectations I would have had and I am pleasantly surprised. The whole 'baby chaos' concept wasn't overdone here and when it all got crazy Flurry had a real motivator. Spike was fantastic here, with all of his quips and wanting to get things done and, dun dun! The proper Twily and Flurry bonding I was wanting since season 6 finally arrived! Worth the wait, it was actually cute. :3

So yeah, I will fully admit I was wrong for doubting this episode like I did. It was handled really well, especially since this is the first time Flurry got major screen time in like, almost a year or so? Consider me happy. :love:

I'm right with you. I expected Baby Cakes part 2 and actually got something entertaining and cyoot. 

• Brohoof 3

I am severely disappointed with this episode. With all the animal plushes in it NOT ONE FOX was in it. 0/10

It was even better than I expected. I love seeing Flurry being shown more, and they did it very well. Very great episode, and also is about Twilight as well, which is a great combination.

• Brohoof 5

Octavia looks unimpressed.

I knew Spike would do end up having to do it. 

Not bad. I think it helped that it wasn't all just Flurry chaos, but also had some genuine aunt and niece moments where Flurry was kinda adorable.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, GrimGrimoire said:

Well color me surprised... I figured I would hate this episode pretty much.. and can honestly say i liked it a LOT more than I would have ever imagined. It was a lot of fun and i really enjoyed the interactions between Twilight, Flurry and Spike. Loved the call back to Pinkies secret hideout.

BRB!

;)

Pinkie was a pretty good addition in this episode since I kept thinking about her difficulty babysitting and wondering what she was thinking after the mess was made. 

• Brohoof 4

I enjoyed the episode. It turns out that there may be a rivalry sparking between Pound and Pumpkin and Flurry that could build in the future. And I liked that it featured an art exhibition. It relates to me because I myself went to an art school.

• Brohoof 4

Gotta say that this episode really surprised me! I wasn't expecting much, and what I got was great character interaction, Spike being awesome as usual, Flurry Heart not being overdone (and it helps that she's just adorable), Shining and Cadence having good scenes, and...it's just a good episode.

And Spike was duly rewarded for his troubles at the end. ;)

• Brohoof 9

21 minutes ago, Trixie . said:

HOLY CRAP THEY MENTIONED GROGAR! When Twilight was telling a story to the foals and fillies at the hospital!

I havn't realized it. Gonna watch again :pinkie:

• Brohoof 3

Well, that went better than expected. In fact, it went better than the not-two-parter.

-TWILIGHT IS BAE CONFIRMED!!!!!11111!!!!!!

-Scary Twilight should have been with us for the past two seasons.

-Princesses are glorified social workers. Do not want!

-Spike is still best storyteller. "Look like him" foreshadowing too stronk!

-Grogar is coming. Fear from stories gave him power. Prepare your plotholes!

-My E-peen has grown once more. Soon ...

• Brohoof 3

I still hear "O Fortuna" every time Flurry Heart appears onscreen. Needless to say, this episode was much more ominous to me.

I want to say that bringing such a young foal to a room with all those infectious foals is potentially disastrous. But then again, if she dies, then I'm actually okay with that.

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

And today's lesson is... everypony loves Spike.  THE END!!! :muffins:

I'm very surprised Spike was this good with foals/kids. That's a complete 180 from how he acted in "Just for Sidekicks." I don't mind it either, because it shows how much his character has grown since season 3. Granted, he was enjoying the task of reading because it involved a dragon that looked and acted very much like him. XD

Speaking of which, that foal's comment about Burnferno looking like Spike - perhaps a bit of foreshadowing for Spike in the distant future? It's true he's already been Dragon Lord (briefly) but there's no reason why after Ember retires in a thousand years or so why he couldn't take on that responsibility once again!

In any case, it's great to see Spike not having an inferiority complex about being a dragon any more. He seems pretty proud of his species since getting to know Ember.

• Brohoof 10

I liked it. I was expecting some cringe just by reading the synopisis, but it turned out to be a pretty thought out episode.

Though minor nitpick. Back at the toy store, when the display was knocked over, you'd think w/ how Twi is, her first inclination would be to organize everything by color. 

• Brohoof 4

I kinda expected what would this episode offer. I don't mean it in a bad way though!

From my point of view, people expected this to be a rehash of Baby Cakes but I strongly doubted it would be. And after watching the episode, I must say I knew it! It's pretty different from Baby Cakes (well, the core plot of babysitting is the same but that's all there is to it), and I thought it was fun to watch. I also see that Flurry Heart has developed a bit of a personality showing that she has grown; yeah, she's playful and gets upset when she doesn't have her way just like any other baby, but from what I saw her do with the Baby Cake twins I think she's gonna grow up to be a pony (princess) who will seek peace between two or more warring parties (and may get assaulted by them in the process).

And woot, Grogar has a mention. Not that I honestly care about G1 though, but if Grogar in this incarnation is part of a fairy tale, then he may or may not be an actual villain that may appear in the series.

All in all, I loved the episode!

• Brohoof 2

25 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Well, considering that Daring Do is obviously real, does that mean.... ;)

My sheep lore just got a whole lot cooler! 

• Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

And today's lesson is... everypony loves Spike.  THE END!!! :muffins:

yup : )

I very much prefer competent and conscientious spike to bumbling spike.

Ideally Twilight would start to learn to take what he says a bit more seriously.

• Brohoof 4

26 minutes ago, weesh said:

wow, bringing a baby to a hospital full of infectious kids is really irresponsible!
the nurses should not have allowed that!

I had the same response as above at first, but then I realized that we don't know much about this particular urticaria, so I'll give it a pass. 

• Brohoof 4

I have to come out and say it, I wasn't a fan of this episode. The whole "can't take care of the baby" plotline has been done to death, heck we had it already with Baby Cakes. The only redeeming thing about this episode is Spike. I love how he's going back to his "keeping others in check" personality like how he was at the earlier era of the series and I hope the writers keep it up!

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Pinkie was a pretty good addition in this episode since I kept thinking about her difficulty babysitting and wondering what she was thinking after the mess was made.

I think this is one of the things that made this episode enjoyable - the story didn't skimp on the consequences of Flurry causing all this trouble. Twilight took the time and delayed her schedule to make things right, even buying apology treats for the ponies that suffered. I was worried we were going to get one long episode of Twiabuse and Spikeabuse, and while they did suffer a bit, it was never the major result of Flurry getting out of hoof and instead we got to see a lot of characters having interesting interactions.

Also, kudos to the writers for remembering Pinkie's secret dungeon of pony personal info! XD

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I have to come out and say it, I wasn't a fan of this episode. The whole "can't take care of the baby" plotline has been done to death, heck we had it already with Baby Cakes. The only redeeming thing about this episode is Spike. I love how he's going back to his "keeping others in check" personality like how he was at the earlier era of the series and I hope the writers keep it up!

Twilight did ok actually. Every mistake she made was one that every parent makes ... more than once. It came across as for more realistic than Baby Cakes because the motivations of the characters and distractions are very real. But I'm approaching the episode as a father who has years of experience caring for infants and toddlers so I expect some here would not have the same perspective I do.

• Brohoof 3

So I'll write up my final thoughts a little later, for now gonna keep it brief.

The things I loved about this episode.

1. Flurryheart not being the typical screaming baby... she was shown to be very intelligent for her age, and was able to understand Twilight and communicate with her just fine. I figured it would be one of those typical baby chaos episodes some shows do, where the baby is perpetually unhappy and the adults are just spending the whole time trying to appease them. The only tantrum in the whole episode was a super short one and it did not pull away from the focus.

2. The art museum. Although it was filled with cliches, Spearhead and his surfer dude way of speaking made it all worthwhile.

3. More Cheerilee! I have always liked her character so don't need an excuse to be happy she got some speaking line and screen time. And I really felt bad for her (but still loled) when she stated to Twilight she would just have to write it all again... "with my mouth" I really makes you appreciate what a bitch some things must be to do as an earth pony without fingers and thumbs. The show so often glosses over that but kinda threw it out there with that one.

4. Pinkie Pie secret hideout and her super organization skills call back! I loved how it was Twilight going to her and Pinkie of all ponies whose organizational skills saved Twilight. The BRB was hilarious as hell followed up by the stack of notes. And Twilight telling her that she was making the Cheerilee face moment was priceless. To top it off, It was Flurry taking charge and trying to fix things when everyone else was occupied. She might have failed, but she was trying her hardest... it sucked it went all wrong.

5. NO DIAPER SCENES! Seriously, I was waiting for them to bust one of those out! They made such a big to do about it in the beginning I just knew it was coming. I love being wrong!

6. When Flurry was upset.. I was so glad they moved on past it quickly... sure they were runing out of time for the episode, but usually in this situation you need half the episode to try calming them and making everything better.

7. The ending. Spike reading his story and being complimented just put a nice little cherry on top of a wonderful episode.

The things I did not like.

1. The awful Henry Danger commercial (which has nothing to do with MLP, but it was still awful)

2. I kind of have to agree with a previous comment. Seems kind of odd they would allow a baby into a hospital with sick foals. Still, I'll give them the benefit of saying maybe they were not contagious. Still kind of weird, but not so much so it hurt anything.

So yeah, overall... not a typical baby episode at all. No nasty diaper scenes, no baby goes missing and everyone has to go on a baby hunt for them, and no extended temper tantrum forcing everyone to spend the whole episode coddling them to get a grin in the last 30 seconds. I actually may like this episode a bit more than the previous 2.

Wow... no one is more surprised than I.

Final opinion: 8/10

• Brohoof 11