Thoughts on "A Flurry of Emotions"  

171 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Nope. Definitely more of a flurry than a blizzard. >_>
    • Not really...
    • It's just meh...so meh.
    • I enjoyed it well enough.
    • YES!!! You could say it was flurry-rific! <3

Not much to say about this one except that I liked it. I especially liked the animation on the flying sequences and magic sequences. They finally made good use of how Flurry and Twilight are both alicorns. I also like that we got to see Cadence and Shinning Armor and their friend. My grip with this episode is the similarity with "Baby Cakes" but I did like how they managed to make the episode and lesson different enough from "Baby Cakes". The sad thing is I see a lot of parents these days overloaded like Twilight. 

• Brohoof 3

7 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

3. More Cheerilee! I have always liked her character so don't need an excuse to be happy she got some speaking line and screen time. And I really felt bad for her (but still loled) when she stated to Twilight she would just have to write it all again... "with my mouth" I really makes you appreciate what a bitch some things must be to do as an earth pony without fingers and thumbs. The show so often glosses over that but kinda threw it out there with that one.

YES! I loved that comment and how she emphasized how she had to do it. I'll bet she was grumbling about not being born a unicorn under her breath. XD

It almost seems like these writers are thinking the same way as us viewers, wondering how difficult it must be to have to do a lot of things with your mouth. And what's worse is that it's CHALK. Bleah - can you imagine having to keep a piece of chalk in your mouth for much of the day? Awful! XD

9 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Wow... no one is more surprised than I.

You and me both.

• Brohoof 3

I'm hoping to see a few Pony memes now with other characters saying "wiff my mouff". 

Earth Pony revolution!

• Brohoof 5

I thought I would HATE this because,

I dislike episodes with babies/children in general but, Flurry Heart & Auntie Twilight were absolutely adorable together, IMO.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

One touch I liked is that while Flurry was fairly intelligent for her age she did not completely get certain concepts. She recognized what sharing was and deduced that splitting the balloon would be a way to share ... but didn't understand that effects of having a broken toy. 

That's a pretty 'nail on the head' moment if you've ever watched a toddler actually try and share sometimes. 

• Brohoof 6

@Kyoshi @Jeric

I agree with both of you. 

I was expecting "Flurry of Emotions" to be as cringy as "Baby Cakes" so, I was automatically expecting to dislike it.

I liked how they didn't keep the focus soley on Flurry Heart & Twilight's situation so, we wouldn't become bored by the storyline &

I found Cadance & Shining Armor's part in the episode to be refreshing since we don't usually see them in an "off the clock" role.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

Loved this episode so much. Everyone in this episode did a great Job.

Twilight was cyoot and nerdy, Spike was funny, Flurry was surprisingly good i must say and i was really glad to see my favorite BG Pony Nurse Redheart return. <3

Babysitting can be really and it can be very complicated to do it, if it's on such short notice. My bro asked me a few times on short notice, so i speak from experience.

Seriously great episode. This Season has been off to a great start.

P.S i hope Flurry Heart didn't bother Doctor Mesme too much. :P

^410A4A2397ACA8DAC16CD1A26652A3CB27B4FF31827E4C6652^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

• Brohoof 3

I really liked this episode and thought it was pretty funny. It was nice to see Cadence, Shining Armor and Flurry Heart again. The interaction between Twilight and Flurry Heart was very adorable. I liked how Spike was trying to remind Twilight of what needed to be done for the day. I loved the moments in the toy store, especially when it came to the race cart. I remember always in a store while leaning on the shopping cart. It always got me to my destination much more quickly. I found it sweet that Flurry and Spike were helping the cake twins in their own ways. While Flurry did break the balloon cart, I feel that she was trying to compromise the situation. I also wonder why both the balloon carts were blue instead of one blue and one pink. I'm also very happy about the continuity involving the party planning cave. While we didn't see the party cave, it was nice they referenced it. Especially not seeing the cave for about 2 seasons. I found it hilarious how Flurry began to search for her whammy. I'm also surprised they referenced Grogar in the story Twilight was reading. I do wonder if we'll get Grogar in the show anytime soon. I really enjoyed the moments with Cadence and Shining Armor at the museum. It was cool seeing one of Shining Armor's friends from the royal guard there as well. All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. I hope to see more moments between Shining Armor, Cadence and Flurry Heart throughout this season. :) 

• Brohoof 3

After the first two episodes this season, I was afraid this episode would suck. I was wrong.

Since this one was about trying to juggle responsibilities and knowing when too much is too much, it hit home a lot harder than Baby Cakes did for me.

Did anyone think it was weird seeing Flurry with the Cake twins? With the different eyes and all? I can understand Flurry appearing more "grown up" than them despite the fact that they are older, because she's an alicorn. But somehow I don't think that would apply to eyes. Hmm...

• Brohoof 6

Six minutes in.

Not too keen with Cadance's and SA expositing why they'd like TwiTwi to babysit FH for a while, but I'll let it pass for now.

Flurry Heart grew a bit since we last saw her. She seems to have a personality, intelligence, and maybe the ability to walk a couple of steps.

Oh, and give the animators and writers their due. They really show how exhausting parenting Flurry Heart truly is without telling the audience. Their unkempt hair, lines under their eyes, easy mistakes they say with reminders from others, how Shining Armor seemed to grow a patchy beard. Taking care of a baby is a royal pain in the tuchas.

• Brohoof 7

2 hours ago, Pepper Mint said:

Did anyone think it was weird seeing Flurry with the Cake twins? With the different eyes and all? I can understand Flurry appearing more "grown up" than them despite the fact that they are older, because she's an alicorn. But somehow I don't think that would apply to eyes. Hmm...

I noticed this too. While the Cake twins did seem to behave older here than they did in "Baby Cakes" (heck they were singing at one point last season!) they still have the solid eyes. At least they're not wearing diapers anymore so in that regard they're more mature than Flurry.

I guess for the idea of having a "baby fight" they still had to look like babies. It would be disturbing to see school age ponies attacking a baby. o_o

I think it's going to be quite some time before we get to see an episode where the CMC actually get an opportunity to help them with their cutie marks, which is unfortunate.

So, did anyone else have questions about Twilight apologizing for disciplining Flurry? I thought she was right to tell her to stop behaving badly since Flurry was totally out of control and could have hurt all those sick foals, but I can also see how scolding a baby might not have much of an impact, at least not one that is good. But I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 4

24 minutes ago, Hierok said:

What's this. Pony naga?

I rather call it Ponylamia- But Snakepony is also okay. :P

• Brohoof 3

That was a nice slice of life episode with a simple plot, plenty of adorable scenes and a good lesson. And some pone faics too.

Twilight trying to be the best aunt ever, Spike being the voice of reason (again), Shining and Cadance being worn out but still loving parents, and baby Cakes interacting with Flurry – all that was very predictable, but very well executed, hence enjoyable.

Among the other things, I liked that they gave Nurse Redheart a speaking role and showed a lot of familiar medical staff and foals. But there is an even cooler thing – they mentioned Gusty and Grogar! Who knows, maybe they’ll turn out to be not just fictional characters…

All in all, it was a good episode, one that just should be there to "make Equestria go round".

Spoiler

Also, Octavia is not impressed.

1418687__safe_screencap_blues_bon+bon_ca

• Brohoof 3

It was a cute episode.

One that seemed to have played straight without any twists and that's okay given the plot. Not exactly new, but pretty decent overall.

Also, I realize now, Pinkie Pie is the real ponyville government (she keeps so much data on everypony in ponyville)

Also, you now appreciate some of the difficulties related with Cheerilee's job as a teacher of having to write everything on the chalkboard..... by mouth

And I'm sure others noticed. Twilight is BAE (best aunt ever).

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 2

Ah, Twilight, your ego knows no bounds, what with taking credit for Flurry's talent with magic even though her father is the one with the penchant for shield spells.

I'm just glad she wasn't a total dunderhead this episode. I was bracing for Lesson Zero/Princess Spike levels of stupid, but was pleasantly surprised.

Although not listening to Spike or paying attention to the walking nuclear bomb were rather poor of you.

1 hour ago, Truffles said:

So, did anyone else have questions about Twilight apologizing for disciplining Flurry? I thought she was right to tell her to stop behaving badly since Flurry was totally out of control and could have hurt all those sick foals, but I can also see how scolding a baby might not have much of an impact, at least not one that is good. But I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure.

The way Twilight scolded her is usually not the way an adult should do that with a child that age. Flurry's reaction and Twilight's realization and response seemed very very very natural because every parent slips up like this and instantly regrets it. It was also a touching moment. 

• Brohoof 7

Meh.  I'm still not much of a fan of Flurry Heart.  I didn't really care for the episode.  The scene at Sugarcube Corner was pretty funny though I thought.

"Is this art or a mistake?" I really loved that sentence :lol:

But I was just wondering if Twilight didn't learn from... I don't know... Applejack beeing so tired that she couldn't even walk straight forward because of overgoing things "a bit"(S1 E4) or other situations for example. We had several situations that showed us that boiling the ocean isn't quite a good idea in the show, but Twilight was just like "Okay, so as many examples had shown us before, trying to do all the things I wanted to do today AND taking care about Flurry might end in a total desaster? Well, who cares?" But hey, at least we learnd another lesson today... one day we might ignore that lesson, too, but at least we learned it.

ding10ns49th8f.jpg

Okay, maybe that sounds a bit to hard... but just think about it: it's at least a bit strange that Spike was the only one who realised that the whole thing isn't a good idea at all.

But if we just see over this, it was a verry nice and interesting episode with a bit different kind of moral. I loved to see another character who showed us a bit more about Shining Armors social environment.

I could say more things about the show now, but I don't have much time right now, and I guess someone else wrote all the things I'm writing down right now before, so I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by Little Snowdrop
  • Brohoof 1