Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Rarity really needed in Gauntlet of Fire?

ManaMinori

32 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I only ask because it seems like a missed opportunity for Fluttershy and her bonding with Spike (see s1e01), or learning not to fear older dragons (see s1e07).

Rarity and Twilight's inclusion actually had a specific narrative theme that served Spikes story and would have been sacrificed to gain character development for Fluttershy. Can you guess what that is? Also, what would have been lost in Spike's story if they went with the angle you suggested with Fluttershy?

Think like a writer and consider theme and you will be able to answer your question. 

• Brohoof 3

While it might have been interesting, I can't think of a realistic reason she would agree to go and face dozens of adult dragons. It's just too soon for her - even in "28 Pranks Later," we saw that Rainbow Dash pretending to be a small adult/teen dragon still terrifies her.

While it's true she did go along in "Dragonshy," she was pretty much drafted by Twilight and it was only one dragon. She only faced him down because he made her angry. I think if she's going to get over her fear of dragons, it's going to have to be on a much more gradual basis. (Like a visit by Ember to Ponyville in an episode. =D )

Plus GoF was about Spike. If she had come along the "Gauntlet of Fire" could also pertain to her figuratively getting "thrown into the fire" in regards to her fear. While making for an interesting double-meaning of the title, it also would have left a lot less room for Spike to grow as he did and allow us to learn more about dragons - and that's in an episode I felt was pressed enough for time as it was to get across all the thematic points it needed to in a meaningful way.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, Marimo said:

Yes, because if Rarity wasn't there then they wouldn't have had someone to make a disguise.

That's actually a good point. I was focusing on the fact that the inclusion of Twilight and Rarity made the most sense because they are the two Mane Six characters with the most fleshed out dynamic with Spike. I actually forgot that Rarity served as a functional character as well with the cold open and the costuming. 

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I only ask because it seems like a missed opportunity for Fluttershy and her bonding with Spike (see s1e01), or learning not to fear older dragons (see s1e07).

Fluttershy would not even agree to come along since she fears the dragons.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly, I felt that Twilight and Rarity were overly obvious choices for ponies to accompany Spike. I'd have preferred to have another dynamic explored; Pinkie Pie might have been fun, as would bringing Rainbow Dash back from "Dragon Quest." Having it just be Twilight and Rarity doesn't really allow for much novelty. 

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Honestly, I felt that Twilight and Rarity were overly obvious choices for ponies to accompany Spike. I'd have preferred to have another dynamic explored; Pinkie Pie might have been fun, as would bringing Rainbow Dash back from "Dragon Quest." Having it just be Twilight and Rarity doesn't really allow for much novelty. 

An establishing dynamic is best set up in a SOL episode before an adventure episode designed like GoF, since it needs to have it's focus on a central character and the new characters. Twilight is more crucial to setting up the stakes than Rarity, since the concern was for Dragon and Pony relations. Twilight should stay regardless unless you want to completely retool everything about the episode. 

If I had to swap out a character it would be one that recently had a opportunity to build a dynamic with not just Spike but also Twilight. Starlight Glimmer would make the most sense here. It could have also set up a better motivation to use Ember as part of the Season 6 finale group. 

• Brohoof 1

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, Jeric said:

It could have also set up a better motivation to use Ember as part of the Season 6 finale group.

That alone would have garnered a vote for this from me. XD

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

Pinkie Pie might have been fun, as would bringing Rainbow Dash back from "Dragon Quest."

I can't argue with these choices, though again the episode was pressed for time. If time weren't an issue it would have been amusing to have Rainbow Dash along on the trip seeing how her speed and agility would make her a shoe-in to win the gauntlet. She would feel the need to be a winner and she'd have to keep holding back because if she won she would have to stay in the Dragonlands to rule over them. And goodness knows what weird effects the scepter would have with her being a pony.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if she was needed. Same goes for Twilight, but Rarity had the correct costumes, so she came in handy. And Twilight gave advice and I think Fluttershy, who is afraid of dragons, would just freak out. :twi:

I think the only one needed was Twilight, but I think having Rarity is good too. They both know him the best. I guess it doesn't really matter, but Fluttershy would be too scared to go.