Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Emotions: The Center of Unicorn/Alicorn Magic? A Theory

Courageous Thunder Dash

SPOILERS AHEAD

After watching "All Bottled Up" and "A Flurry of Emotions", I have a new theory. Emotions are the center of unicorn magic. 

Here is my proof:

Starlight Glimmer has had a rough past, and is still hurting on the inside. When Trixie started to annoy Starlight, anger started to build up. Starlight unconsciously conjured her thoughts in the form of magic, which caused the red blob of anger, comprising of all her bad and angry thoughts about Trixie. Because so many thoughts were being built up and the fact that it took a lot of energy to conjure these angry blobs, eventually, Starlight tired herself out. 

Anger, as an emotion uses up a lot of energy, and when an angry person peaks out, the cool down stage begins, which takes quite a while (the case with Starlight). 

On the other hand, Flurry Heart, when scared binds herself in a magic bubble, away from others. We see this happen when Twilight got mad at her for wandering away in the hospital. Flurry had never seen this side of Twilight. Her fear caused her magic to shift into something that would make her withdraw and/or protect herself from the scary pony. At that moment, she saw Twilight as a scary bear. 

On a more positive note, Princess Cadence, being the Princess of Love is a great example. Whenever she comes across a situation where ponies are disagreeing and hating on each other, the thoughts of restoration and love come to her mind, which then produces a restoration/love spell. This is clearly seen when she clears Shining Armor of Chrysalis's spell. 

Thoughts?

This makes a lot of sense and I am totally behind this headcanon.

But I also have to add, maybe emotions aren't just the center of unicorn/alicorn magic, but pony magic in general, giving the events that lead to filly Rainbow Dash performing her first Sonic Rainboom.

• Brohoof 4

Maybe.. it is certainly possible. It is hard to say though since we have went all this time without that revelation and magic seems to be being performed quite well without any sort of emotional context at all. So perhaps it is just one of many things that can power magic... or perhaps it just is caused by knee jerk reactions in some ponies much like the fight or flight response in humans when faced with a particularly troublesome encounter or problem? Who is to say magic works the exact same in every single pony, and is just more on how each of them as found to utilize it best?

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

But I also have to add, maybe emotions aren't just the center of unicorn/alicorn magic, but pony magic in general

I agree. RD's Sonic Rainboom is a pagesus example, and if we consider earth ponies' ability to break rocks to be one their forms of magic (geomancy), Maud saving Pinkie by breaking a big rock aligns with this theory as well.

• Brohoof 2

Emotions are part of the mind, the mind is used to produce magic, of course they are connected to each other. Magic clearly isn't the same as emotions though, because magic is shown as something which can be removed from a pony without removing their emotions. Various sorts of magic have been shown to be remove emotions though, so magic and emotions probably two types of the same energy. 

• Brohoof 2

Not a bad theory. I'm not so sure emotions are the "center" of unicorn and alicorn magic, but I do think there is an obvious correlation between the two. After all, friendship and harmony, catalysts of positive emotions, are connected to magic. Some sort of magical force seemed to be at work when Rainbow Dash's first Sonic Rainboom triggered the cutie marks of all her future best friends. Something similar happened in Season 4 when each member of the Mane 6 received a key to the Tree of Harmony's chest.

All this makes me wish I could ask Twilight about the science behind it. ^_^ After all, magic is as big a part of the world of Equestria as, say, electricity in our world.

• Brohoof 2

Well, Starlight Glimmer stated that emotions have a roll in her magic at least. So there is now an explicit canon basis for the concept. It's a common element in fantasy to connect emotions to magic, either as an aspect of control or an aspect of power. Star Wars uses this to great effect and is the foundation of how a Jedi or Sith use the Force, through mastery of their emotions. 

I personally like the idea that magical control and precision is related to emotional state, but not always it's strength and power. 

• Brohoof 4

I would've thought everyone knew this by now, as it has been hinted at since season 1

Twilight in "Bridle Gossip"

"curses aren't real. My magic, REAL magic, comes from within" (meaning emotions)

"MMC" - Twilight's magic came out of her chest, where her heart would be, to transform her (she already felt like she was an alicorn on the outside, to transform her to what she felt, outwardly). Backed again, by Coloratura's lyrics "and let the magic in MY HEART" stay true, just like the MAGIC INSIDE OF YOU"

along with several other instances where ponies have been seen using magic with some kind of emotion behind the, Rarity's crazed obesssion in "Inspiration Manifestation", Starlight's cutie mark stealing magic glowing a slight green in "The Cutie Map", etc.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I would've thought everyone knew this by now, as it has been hinted at since season 1

Twilight in "Bridle Gossip"

"curses aren't real. My magic, REAL magic, comes from within" (meaning emotions)

"MMC" - Twilight's magic came out of her chest, where her heart would be, to transform her (she already felt like she was an alicorn on the outside, to transform her to what she felt, outwardly). Backed again, by Coloratura's lyrics "and let the magic in MY HEART" stay true, just like the MAGIC INSIDE OF YOU"

along with several other instances where ponies have been seen using magic with some kind of emotion behind the, Rarity's crazed obesssion in "Inspiration Manifestation", Starlight's cutie mark stealing magic glowing a slight green in "The Cutie Map", etc.

Not necessarily. While there has been hints, Starlight's declaration was the first unambiguous one, and also very explicit. 

• Brohoof 2

I accept it, but only as a factor. If magic only dependent on emotions it would be earlier in the show be revealed.

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think they're the sole factor, but I do think they play a large part. Starlight and Flurry both derive magic from emotions, and I think there's other moments where strong emotions have strengthened magic, though they don't come to mind right away. 

Another driving force which is partially related is relationshios, seen both in the mane six's powers of friendship and in the love between Cadance and Shining Armour. Both have defeated villains, and these have also been at times where those ponies are reminded of their emotional bonds, and thus at times of high emotion. We see ponies do a lot of magic relatively dispassionately, but emotions clearly have a major impact on it. 

Sombra for example in the comics was a pawn but he als fasced aches and apins, isoluation and later..anger..a desire for revenage.  His anger gave him his power to control the minds..at least inside thier worst fears and such.

Not sure about Chyslisi since she not a pony but still she as we saw from that love boom..a very postive emotion cuase all the Chanlgins to go flying.