Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's origins episode being a musical

FlareGun45

I dunno about you, but I have the feeling when we get to the episode that Spike discovers where he comes from, I got the feeling it might be a musical! Cause it's a very important part of Spike's life being accomplished, like Twilight being a princess, and the CMCs getting their cutie marks! Maybe Newbie Dash would've been better if the "mimicking her friends" thing was a song! I mean, every eventful episode that shows a character accomplishing they've always wanted has a song in it. Newbie Dash was the first for that to happen!

So my point is, I really think the episode Spike discovers his origin would be a musical episode for him, since quite a few main characters had musical episodes already! I know some of you don't like Spike's singing, but think about it: would all that singing be worth it if you got to hear EMBER sing? :D Ember's VA is a singer, so if she was asked to sing, she would! Maybe the other dragons would sing too in a viking chorus-like style!

So what do ya think? Spike's origins episode being a musical? Wanna hear Ember sing? :D If we're going to expect an episode like this, it's not gonna be this season, that's for sure! Maybe season 8 or 9!

• Brohoof 2

Only if the pacing is good enough. Musical episodes can feel really rushed if they aren't done and this type of subject could be tricky to show in musical form. The music team with DHX is incredibly talented though so I definitely don't doubt them. I am just not sure if this type of episoe would work with it. A song or two, maybe.

Well, we've had two musical episodes that are connected to big events and one not connected to a big event. We've had two 'dream' episodes and only one had a song (with two reprises). This could go either way. 

I'm not sold on Spike (Cathy) carrying a musical episode in the way that the Mane Six and CMC can, so the songs would have to be anchored by the rest of the cast or be significantly limited in scope and range. 

Since we are talking about including Celestia and Ember (the origin has to involve both to make it meaningful in symbolism), pacing can be an issue here. 

CotLM is my fav FiM episode, so pacing concerns don't always bother me. 

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

Well, we've had two musical episodes that are connected to big events and one not connected to a big event. We've had two 'dream' episodes and only one had a song (with two reprises). This could go either way. 

I'm not sold on Spike (Cathy) carrying a musical episode in the way that the Mane Six and CMC can, so the songs would have to be anchored by the rest of the cast or be significantly limited in scope and range. 

Well if this is Spike's origins episode, I guarantee Twilight's singing in it too! The rest of the main cast is a maybe. If the main cast sing about their families in the beginning, then yeah, but that'll probably be their only part for them. Most of them would be for Spike, Twilight, and Ember - and Starlight if she comes along.

I would like to see a Spike origin episode, however I don't know if I would want it to be a musical.  I mean if characters other than Spike sang, it would be fine, but while Spike doesn't have the worst singing voice, I don't think it could carry a musical episodes.