Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sports Your favorite sports teams and why?

Ashen Pathfinder

Before I start I want it to be known that while there were a few others threads like this one, I decided to make a new as those were quite old and lacked the "why" factor that I am gunning for here.

To start I never really considered myself a hardcore sports fan, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy some sports AND that I had some teams that I followed. Over the years I mainly considered myself a racing fan, but grew to like the more traditional team and individual sports out there. That said, what I want to know is this: Over the entire spectrum of sports from team sports like football, individual sports like archery, and even teams from various auto-racing series; which teams do you consider your favorite, and WHY do you consider them your favorite?

Are they your hometown team? If not was there something that attracted them to you like a specific performance, a specific athlete, or something deeper? To start off I'll give my main favorite teams, as well as a few runner-ups.

Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL) - The funny thing here is that the Penguins were not the first team that I followed in the NHL. When I decided to look into the sport it was the Montreal Canadiens that got me in, and the Anaheim Ducks that allowed me to experience what it was like for a team to win the Stanley Cup. However, being in the eastern US is was difficult to attempt to follow the Ducks' regular season so I was beginning to tune out. However, due to the region I live in I was able to catch a few Pittsburgh Penguins games, and they eventually caught my heart. I followed them to the Stanley Cup finals; which they lost to the Detroit Red Wings. However the team won me over enough that I followed their regular season and celebrated when they exacted revenge on the Red Wings to win the Cup. As such, you could say it was a dash of geography and genuine love for a team that I watched fall into despair, only to climb the mountain and reach the proverbial peak. Amazing stuff.

Baltimore Orioles (MLB) - This one is a tad tricky to explain. It hasn't even been a year ago that I followed baseball, and even though logic told me to follow the Pirates due to my love for the Penguins, I was actually more interested in following another team, and it was that team that taught me to appreciate and enjoy the game of baseball. While the Orioles aren't the most successful of teams, nor the most popular, they have a lot of heart to them, and when it comes to cities, Baltimore is one that I can say my heart resides in. It was the very first BIG city I ever set foot in back in 1997, it hosted my favorite sport of IndyCar (and American Le Mans) on the streets of the Inner Harbor, and, of course, the first ever convention I ever attended was there last year. As such I have a certain connection to that city and as much as I enjoy the Ravens, it was the Orioles that really won me over, and I just want to support them as much as possible.

McLaren Honda (Formula 1) - This one was a little tricky for a few reasons; amongst them being a lack of interest in F1 until mid-last year, Mclaren's ongoing struggles since 2014, and the fact that the American Haas F1 competes with some limited success. That said McLaren was a team I started paying serious attention to as a favorite team back when the driver lineup consisted of Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen; of which the former was my favorite driver at the time. They were fun to follow, though they were inconsistent due to either crashes or mechanical failures. In the end my interest in F1 faded, but returned last year. I still looked for a team and while McLaren was still my de-facto fav, it wasn't until the VERY recent announcement of Fernando Alonso attempting this year's Indy 500 with McLaren backing, as well as rumors of McLaren's possible participation in IndyCar full time in the future. Just the sheer thought of McLaren in both F1 and IndyCar has me giddy, and brings a new found respect and passion for them, and I hope they overcome their current troubles to climb the top of the podium once again. Oh yeah; they also have a basketball team. x3

FC Bayern Munich (Bundesliga, UEFA) - Just because I cheer for the most successful team in German football makes me a glory-hunter; eh? Well, no, that's not why I chose this team over all others; including any from the English league, as well as the Spanish giants in Madrid and Barcelona. No; Bayern attracted for a few reason. For starters, I caught the 2010 UEFA Champions League between Inter Milan and Bayern on broadcast TV, and even though Bayern lost, their style of play caught me, and I wanted to see more of them. While my access to German football is a tad lacking, I followed the best I could and found a team that not only had success, they also had a smart business sense. Whereas many other European teams spent themselves into debt, I appreciated Bayern's attempts to stay strong financially as such. Yeah, it's a silly reason, but it's an approach I appreciate. That said, I would be lying if I didn't enjoy that success; the highest of which came in 2013 at the UEFA Champion's League final against Dortmund in Wembley, and BOY was it a dramatic game, and one that I will NEVER forget. Like with the Penguins, Bayern's ability to come back from a stinging Finals loss against Chelsea the previous year to ascend new heights was amazing. Of course they have struggled in Europe recently, but I still love to follow them.

Andretti Autosport (IndyCar, GRC, Formula E) - This one will be the most difficult to explain as I can't really pin down any one reason why I follow them with passion. They are owned and ran by IndyCar legend Michael Andretti, have some great drivers like Hunter-Reay in their stable, and have expanded to Global Rallycross and Formula E in recent years, but it's hard for me to really say what attracted me to them. However, that said, even if I can't explain it I can still say they have been a fun team to follow. They won the Indianapolis 500 last year, and will have Alonso in one of their cars this year with McLaren, so that is a plus. In the end maybe it's a combination of all of these factors. Whatever the case I can say that out of all IndyCar teams, this is only one that holds my heart to this day.

Honorable Mentions: Baltimore Ravens, New York City FC, Flying Lizard Motorsports, Corvette Racing

Favorite Sports with no favorite team: MotoGP, World Rally, Cricket

So; anyone else? :)

• Brohoof 5

Okay, so I'm more of a motorsports kinda guy, and as much as I like McLaren and respect Alonso for sticking with them for so long with their recent reliability, my favourite F1 team is by far Williams! When I was just starting to watch F1 with my dad, c. 1995, I remember that blue Rothmans Williams of Jacques Villeneuve winning the 1997 championship. They livery just caught my eye, and since then I was a fan, even during the ugly pseudo Ferrari look a like years in early 2000's and the team signing Pastor Maldonado. I was ecstatic in 2014 when they looked strong again, but this year is going to be tough with F1 newbie Lance 'daddy's got deep pockets' Stroll. 

Then I'm also a fan of the hoonigan racing division in the world rally cross. Ken Block is a personality, but not the fastest driver on the track, but his team mate Bakkerud is doing really well! I used to be a fan of block's gymkhana videos and started following him when he competed in the 2010 world rally championship. 

Which brings me to the wrc... I used to be a fan of Ford when mikko hirvonen drove for them. But my favourite driver is Dani Sordo, and he isn't doing badly in the Hyundai team either. He almost always has a smile on his face, even when things aren't going to well. But the sounds of any rally car is just brilliant when they go past! That roar!

Then the last sporting event I follow like a religion is the 24hr race of le mans! My favourite team was Audi, till the return of Porsche with Mark Webber driving for them! Just Webber retired last year but the Porsches are looking strong for this year!

I tend not to follow other sports, but when it is world cup time I support the national team of my home country, South Africa, in rugby and cricket. Just with the last rugby works cup the south african team played with dinosaurs...

• Brohoof 2

lal.pngLos Angeles Lakers (NBA basketball team) 

why?

• they are in 2nd place for most rings won (most NBA finals won basically)
  • I was born and  grew up in Los Angeles 
  • they've always had amazing basketball players it included,Magic Johnson,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar,Wilt Chamberlain,Kobe Bryant,James Worthy,and many more.
  • they are the good guys
  • Kobe Bryant has always been an influence in my life.
  • logo is awesome
  • They are the best basketball team of all time.

basically thats about it,I'm a huge fan of the lakers I've actually seen them play live at the staples center in L.A.Though they're not doing good right now,they will always be known for their accomplishments and records as well for their famous basketball players. C:

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

FC Bayern Munich (Bundesliga, UEFA) - Just because I cheer for the most successful team in German football makes me a glory-hunter; eh? Well, no, that's not why I chose this team over all others; including any from the English league, as well as the Spanish giants in Madrid and Barcelona. No; Bayern attracted for a few reason. For starters, I caught the 2010 UEFA Champions League between Inter Milan and Bayern on broadcast TV, and even though Bayern lost, their style of play caught me, and I wanted to see more of them. While my access to German football is a tad lacking, I followed the best I could and found a team that not only had success, they also had a smart business sense. Whereas many other European teams spent themselves into debt, I appreciated Bayern's attempts to stay strong financially as such. Yeah, it's a silly reason, but it's an approach I appreciate. That said, I would be lying if I didn't enjoy that success; the highest of which came in 2013 at the UEFA Champion's League final against Dortmund in Wembley, and BOY was it a dramatic game, and one that I will NEVER forget. Like with the Penguins, Bayern's ability to come back from a stinging Finals loss against Chelsea the previous year to ascend new heights was amazing. Of course they have struggled in Europe recently, but I still love to follow them.

I'm gonna talk about soccer:

1. FC Barcelona
  2. FC Bayern Munich
  3. FC Twente (The club in my "state")

San Francisco 49ers: When I first started getting into American football I decided to choose a different team than the one my brother and dad liked since I had nothing else in common with them so one day I was watching the telly and they were show a 49ers game (1986 I think) and I fell in love with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. I mean those two were incredible!

Columbus Blue Jackets: Hometown team and I used to work for the owners so I got to attend several games and even once in the owners box.

Ohio State Buckeyes: If I have to explain you are not an Ohioan lol. But seriously again hometown team and they almost always bring some excitement to the field.

NFL: Minnsota Vikings

MLB: Minnesota Twins

NHL: Minnesota Wild

So pretty much all of my favorite teams are hometown

Honorable mentions: Denver Broncos, Texas Rangers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Anaheim Ducks

Who I HATE the most: Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City Royals, St Louis Blues.

Now this is a topic I can get behind. Here's my team picks:

Ipswich Town (Football)

They're my hometown team, the one I've pledged my loyalty to and supported since I first went to a football game with my Dad in March 2002. With quite a few members of my family supporting them since the mid-1960's, it was pretty obvious that I was bound to become a fan of the Tractor Boys sooner or later. Sure, they haven't had much success since before I started supporting them (having been relegated from the Premier League the season I first saw them) but that doesn't stop me from enjoying my football at Portman Road and not having to travel far to do so. I was a Season ticket holder for about eight years before University stopped my ability to go to games, and while I'd love to go to more, the ticket prices are quite steep for a team perennially rooted in the Championship and that has made my position as fan be scaled back to armchair viewing, but my loyal devotion still remains the same regardless. They may not be doing too well at the moment and the jokes of being the 'most consistent team in the Championship' is getting old having spent the entire time I've supported them in the same league but hey, that doesn't bother me, as every team has peaks and troughs in their history and one day we will go back to the top flight. It may take some time, but when it's your first love in a sport that you deeply care about watching, you're bound to have immense faith that sticks through everything. When there are people saying they will stop supporting them, there's an immense sense of local pride knowing I don't!

Tottenham Hotspur (Football)

This may seem like a glory hunter pick considering their recent upturn in success, however for me, the support goes a little deeper than that. As a football fan, I've always enjoyed teams that have an attacking style, that try to score as many goals as they can and have a stability in quality that means can defend well enough so their attacking tactical mindset works. Tottenham, since I started watching the Premier League on Match Of The Day in 2004 have been that team. Sure, others like Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal in the mid-2000's could easily have applied considering their success and famous players like Drogba, Van Nistelrooy/Rooney and Henry at the time, but Tottenham always had a sense of flair and intensity about them that I found admirable and not artificial like many teams, especially those aforementioned three. For me, the connection to the club also has a little more personal weight than a 'glory hunter tag' as Tottenham is the nearest football team to where I was born, and was the team that my late uncle supported until he died. So I feel by supporting them as my second team, I'm keeping it in the family, which is quite the positive thing. So whenever someone tells me 'you're only supporting them because they're doing well', I know I have a rebuttal that is watertight. After years of sideline support, I finally went to White Hart Lane for a game this season that happened to be the first and only time I could do so, meaning I could check it off my bucket list. A few weeks ago, I saw them lose to Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley, which despite the loss was a superb game that made me realise how much I did care for the team. I can say now, that my support for the team is validated and official, which makes me quite happy indeed.

AC Milan (Football)

Having said what I've noted about Tottenham, my love for AC Milan started out as a glory hunter choice. They were winning everything in the mid-2000's in Italy and continental Europe and had that flair and attacking style that I love, so by and large it was an easy choice for me as my 'international team' to say I picked a winner. However, as their success dwindled as the team had broken up, they still showcased the vibrant flair that I loved them for and thankfully over the recent years have suffered mid-table finishes are now starting to show signs of recovery. They were the team thats showed me a wider football reality outside of the English game and I have to retain my interest in them as thanks for that. I plan to visit the San Siro for a game within the next year at some stage, it's going to be great!

Sauber F1 Team

Having grown up watching Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Williams dominating the sport since I started watching Formula 1 in 1996, it's quite surprising that I ended up falling for the lowly Sauber team. The reason why was pretty simple, I found their ability to pluck great talent from the motorsports ranks and get the team decent results that no one expected inspiring. For a team to do that when they had little financial backing was wonderful to see, and not just that, the Red Bull and Petronas blue and green colour scheme at the time appealed to me visually as well. They gave Felipe Massa, Kimi Raikkonen, Heinz-Harold Frentzen, Sebastian Vettel, Robert Kubica, Sergio Perez and Nick Heidfeld, seven of my favourite F1 drivers either their first starts or helped fully launch their careers, and that talent pool is quite a sublime one to look at on paper. They may be back markers on the grid, with no chance of success or financial backing, unlike the heyday of their BMW-owned success in the late 2000's, but I still always hold out hope for the team in every race.

New Orleans Saints (NFL)

I'm not a major fan of American Football, hell watching the game on TV is confusing at times (I can thank US Commentators reliance and emphasis on stats I don't understand for that), despite that I support the Saints. Why is that? Well it's quite simple. In 2014, I visited America for the first time going to WrestleMania XXX in the Superdome. I felt after I'd been, I'd keep an eye on their results as thanks to the memories their stadium had given me. My knowledge for the NFL has grown and I enjoy seeing how they do, but my love for the team still feels like it's in an embryonic stage. It may grow larger over time, who knows.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite teams? Here you go!

New York Mets (MLB): Ah, the mystique of the incredible 1969 World Series upset still resonates nearly a century later! My dad was on the school bus when the final out was recorded in Game 5 to clinch their first ever World Championship. I started rooting for them in 1992-93, and nearly 25 years later, I haven't given up on this team, even through their struggling years. Unlike some Mets fans, I don't have ill feelings for their in-city rival, instead saving the trash talking to the other four teams in the NL East.

New York Jets (NFL): Despite moving to a city that recently lost a football team in controversial fashion, I didn't really root for the Rams, instead staying with a football team I was true to for most of my life. This team has been an emotional roller coaster of bad draft picks, questionable free agent signings, and a seemingly never-ending coaching carousel. During my time I've root for the team, I saw them reach the league championship game, only to lose in 1999 by the better team in Denver. I also witnessed their 2010 and 2011 championship defeats, both were in embarrassing fashion.

St. Louis Blues (NHL): I was at one point a Rangers fan but when I moved, I found an interesting gem in the local hometown team. I do understand they have a long-standing (and fierce) rivalry with the Chicago Blackhawks, which has recently heated up in the past few years. What made me root for them was their 2000-01 playoff push when I was looking for a team to root for after I moved here. This was the quick fix to that, and since then I've been a fan of this team.

New York Knicks (NBA): Another team who thanks to a megalomaniac owner and a seemingly never-ending front office drama, has been on the decline the past 15+ years, but that has not ruined my passion on this team. The 1994 and surprise 1999 NBA Finals appearances are why I still root for this team. I know they are not a good team but the passion's still their, the flashes of brilliance of this team in the past few years gives me hope. I have optimism for this team, but when will the good days of the 1970s finally come back?

Cleveland Browns (NFL): They may be the absolute worst team ever, but one day they won't be. And on that day, I will have been a true fan from the beginning. In reality though, by the time the Browns win the Superbowl, I'll be long dead. Also, only Browns fans can celebrate like there're three birthday's parties at the same time when our team wins one game.

Team Witch Doctor (Battlebots): Robot fighting definitely counts as a sport. Anyway, Witch Doctor was a robot on Battlebots, and my favorite one out of them all. In season one they only lost because of a design flaw (couldn't flip over off it's back), and if it's wasn't for that they would have beat Tombstone, the most dangerous robot in it. In season two, Witch Doctor only lost because the team wanted to show off their minibot, Shaman, so their protective plate couldn't be used and their batteries ended up being destroyed. A great robot, a fun team, and just fun.

Becca and Floyd/Team Fun (The Amazing Race Season 29): I'm stretching it with this one, but it's technically a race and racing is a sport so. Anyway, this is the most current season of The Amazing Race, and Team Fun definitely lives up to their name.  They're pretty much always upbeat and happy, excited to do everything, and generally funny people. They are also a fairly strong team, and as of now are in second place.

• 1 month later...

Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL): I became a fan of them back around 2014-15 because of a friend that I talk to here, her family is from Pittsburgh and most of them are Steelers fans, I'm hoping for our 7th trophy in the next few years.

Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL): I became a fan of them because they were from Pittsburgh last year and it turned out to be a very good team, we may be one of most hated team in the league but that doesn't bother me one bit. Funny how I started rooting for the team, they have won two Stanley cups since then, must be a good luck charm for them. Might even post the game that got me into hockey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLaLX2Je6xA

Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB): Same reason as above but unlike the Penguins, this team is just not as good but it won't stop me from rooting them, need something to watch between hockey and football.

Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA): Picked this one because of two particular users that live in Minnesota and also that Pittsburgh doesn't have a team and I can't stand the Cavs and Lebron.

Hendrick Motorsports and Joe Gibbs Racing (NASCAR): The first one was because I knew them from a video game (NASCAR 06) and the two guys I knew are Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson, I became a fan of Jimmie because of an old friend who I don't really talk to was a fan of him since she started watching the sport back in 2007, JGR on the other hand, there's something about Denny Hamlin that I like and I've been a fan of him since I started watching the sport since 2008. I don't like Kyle Busch though.

Other teams that I like: Wests Tigers, St. George Illawarra Dragons, Arsenal, Brisbane Lions, Sydney Thunder, Brisbane Heat, Haas F1.

• Brohoof 1

Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins. Believe it or not I'm from MA :pout:

As for soccer I support Liverpool which was strange considering I lived in London when I lived in the UK. I just liked a bunch of the players on the team at the time of my first exposure (around 2007) like Gerrard and Peter Crouch

I'm not really much of a sports fan, but I do admire the New England Patriots. They're the best and they take a lot of crap for it. They do incredible things against all odds and that makes me want to stick with them. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Minnesota Vikings (NFL): Even though I am Canadian born, My dad is Minnesotan

Montreal Canadiens (NHL): Hometown team.

Minnesota Twins (MLB): Same as Vikings

Toronto Raptors (NBA): Only NBA team in Canada

Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL): When I moved to USA, this is the first team I encountered.

Thanks to my father, i watched a lot of soccer with him and became a fan of the soccer team BVB. ( Ballverein Borussia ) ( Ball League Borussia, i think )

Also its a tradition to like that team in our Family. Also whenever i watch Formula 1 ( also thanks to my father ), i always hope the pink cars win, because in the Ridge Racer Games i played, i always thought to myself that the pink cars would be driven by Pinkie Pie and Pinkamena, so i always called those Cars the two Pinkie Pies and thats why i hope the pink cars win.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, let's do this:

Aris Thessaloniki (Football/Soccer) - That is a long name, this team was interesting to me from their very beginning. They aren't a particularly good team, they are on the second division, but who cares. I enjoy their matches! The have won Atletico Madrid (!)

Renault (Formula One) - I was very close on putting Ferrari here, but I changed my mind. I like Renault, they have Alonso as a driver. Random thought: The same car manufacturer that makes Formula One cars made WWI Tanks. That is cool, even though I doubt the process of making one is even remotely similar.

I only watch those sports, so I can't think of anything else.

On 18.8.2017 at 2:45 AM, Twilight Doll said:

Also whenever i watch Formula 1 ( also thanks to my father ), i always hope the pink cars win, because in the Ridge Racer Games i played, i always thought to myself that the pink cars would be driven by Pinkie Pie and Pinkamena, so i always called those Cars the two Pinkie Pies and thats why i hope the pink cars win.

So I'm not the only one who thinks of Pinkie Pie when seeing that Force India livery. :pinkie:  I guess Force India is my favorite team in F1. Not just because of the Pinkie connection but because I always find myself rooting for the underdogs. They're the team that punch above their weight most often without being Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull (I find rooting for such successful teams almost too easy). But I'm happy whenever any of the midfield teams do well.

Manor used to be my favorite (seeing Bianchi score points in Monaco was one of my favorite F1 moments ever) but sadly they're no longer in business. It's sad that a team with so much promise in its last couple of seasons had such a tragic story...

• Brohoof 3

St. Louis Cardinals (MLB): Closest MLB team to home, love them because they have my favorite MLB player (Yadier Molina)
Hendrick Motorsports (NASCAR): My favorite NASCAR team since I became a fan of NASCAR. Currently has two of my favorite drivers (Chase Elliott and William Byron), and had my favorite driver (Jeff Gordon) for many years.
Chicago Bears (NFL): I've been a Bears fan, even through the futility of the past several years.
University of Illinois Fightning Illini (College Football and Basketball): Been a fan of the U of I my whole life in both Football and Basketball, due to having family that worked closely with the school.
Western Illinois University Leathernecks (College Football and Basketball): I include this because i'm currently going to WIU, and Love to see my school win. It always puts me in a good mood.
New York Yankees (MLB): As with a lot of sports, I have favorite teams in both divisions. I'm mostly a Yankees' fan because my father is a lifetime fan of the Yankees.

Edited by Gabe Gooding

• 1 year later...

I'm a life long New Orleans Saints fan (NFL). It's kinda like a family tradition, since most of us are from that area. :) 

I occasionally watch a few college football games, but I don't a have a favorite team.

Boston Red Sox - I grew up being a fan of them, especially when we lived in Maine. My dad is a pretty big fan as well. I've grown a lot with them and have a lot of unique memories from watching them on TV. <3

I don't really follow other teams because I'm not much of a sports fan. ^^;

@Blizzard Wind *coughyuckyyankeescough* 

Edited by Team Clayne

In college football, my favorite teams are the Florida Gators and Georgia Bulldogs. 

NFL: Green Bay Packers and the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

NASCAR: Hendrick Motorsports

NHL: I don't really watch much hockey but, the Tampa Bay Lightning is still my team. 

MLB: Atlanta Braves 

• Brohoof 1