Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Making music Tracks on a PC. Help?

Cestrum

I'm curious if there's any open source software out there that one can use to make instrumental tracks with a PC.
I can sing and use Audacity to record my vocals, but I don't have any real instruments to play and record.

I did try using LMMS (Linux MultiMedia Studio) and made a small little thing with it, but I'm looking for something that has actual instruments in it's sound library instead of just...wubz.

Also, a layout with musical bars would be a godsend, I can time a tune much better that way...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

In Game Name:
Server Name :
Offense Banned for:
Staff member who banned you:
Dispute Reason:

1 minute ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

It is hard to find any open source free software these days. You'd have to look into basic forms of good programs like Ableton, Cubase, Pro Tools and Logic...

Alright, I'll be sure to look into those. Anything you can suggest in particular?

Just now, Cestrum said:

Alright, I'll be sure to look into those. Anything you can suggest in particular?

See here's the thing, if you wanna go far...you'll have to get a MIDI controller keyboard, which can up pretty high, but there are some nice used ones. Most DAWs have built-in instruments, so you can go from there. 

1 minute ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

See here's the thing, if you wanna go far...you'll have to get a MIDI controller keyboard, which can up pretty high, but there are some nice used ones. Most DAWs have built-in instruments, so you can go from there. 

Do you mean one of these things?

Spoiler

1.jpg

Just now, Cestrum said:

Ah, I see. thank you for the clarification.

You're welcome. That's level 1 in producing stuff like this. Level 2 would be getting an actual keyboard workstation, and using the sounds from the keyboard to make music. You'd have to get an interface for conversion to USB. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you got a Samsung Phone you COULD use the App Soundcamp but it's really basic and simple

If it should get deeper into making music, I would suggest buying FL Studio since its the cheapest DAW i know. In there, you can have multiple instruments but mostly virtual synthesisers. Sometimes you gotta buy those and that can be expensive, which is why i cracked a few. If you can play the keyboard and have a MIDI keyboard you've basically won at this point, you can just play the things you want. But if either one of those things aren't true you gotta learn how to make melodies via manual note placement. 

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

I have only used Ableton Live 9 so I can only speak for that, but some DAWs dont require a MIDI controller keyboard, since you can basically "draw" the keys you want, but if its something you are seriously looking into I would recommend it, speaking from experience.which imputing manually takes extra time and it makes it hard to come up with a nice flowing melody.

• Brohoof 1