Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if MLP ended on a Tragic note?

Twilight Frost

I think the possibility could almost be there. If Hasbro really..REALLY wanted to be Edgy enough and travel just a teesny weensy bit out of the "appropriate for 2 year olds" zone they basically have a heart attack when thinking about such a thing, do you think having a tragic ending to the show might be a good idea? 

Let's say, for example...The Death of Twilight Sparkle? 

She could perform the ultimate gesture of friendship and sacrifice herself to defeat a foe that would have otherwise murdered all of her friends and family? A situation where her friends couldn't help or assist her, where spike couldn't help her and she was all alone and everypony is about to die, she leaps into action completely and fully aware of what she is about to die saving those she loves. The End? 

I think something like this could be not only mind blowing but devastate the fandom in a good way that leaves this show, this "little girls show" as many non-bronies would put it, an ending that would get a whole lotta people talking for some time as one of the most controversial cartoon endings ever. 

The only kinda death I could see possibly being involved in the series would be that of Celestia as a way in order for her to pass the torch to Twilight so she can rule over Equestria, but even then I don't really see that being all that likely, instead we would get her retiring and allowing Twilight to take over instead of actually dying, because I don't see the type of show FIM is to end with the death of one of its main characters.

• Brohoof 4

Being honest I hope it does, though I doubt it will. Killing off any good character seems like the last thing Hasbro would want in what was originally a children's show. Complaints would just pile up from overreacting parents.

2 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Considering soccer moms went off the deep end over something as innocent as our beloved little Derpy, that's a BIG NO.

You think that's crazy, you should have seen some of the Transformers fans flip out when

Spoiler

Optimus Prime died in Transformers The Movie 1986.  It took The Return of Optimus Prime to bring him back for good.

But yeah.  As much as I would approve of Twilight dying at the grand finale, that will not sit well with kids, adults, and especially some bronies(Especially fans of Transformers G1)

No, I highly doubt Hasbro would ever do this, and I wouldn't want them to either. This show is a great escape from reality at times, it makes me feel happy even when I feel really down. It's the ONLY show that does that for me, and while I wouldn't mind an episode or two that's sad, ending the finale on a tragic note? Last thing I'd want to see.

• Brohoof 1

It would not happen. However if the only bad thing happening is Twilights death it would be a bittersweet and not tragic ending since the show has so many main characters to care about.

Celestia's (and maybe Luna's death) and Twilight becoming the ruler at the end of the show is a bit similar and slightly more possible but it would be still be quite unlikely unless the show can make Celestia leaving more ambiguous than death.

For this show, this is a terrible idea. The thing is, while this show has broken mold for a show of its type by actually being far deeper than its past incarnations, something like this would be going far over the deep end and flat out clashing with the overall vibe that the show has, which is a vibe of positivity. The characters experience hardship in pretty much every episode, but each episode ends on a good note, with those characters making it through that hardship, mainly due to their friends. Having a death like that, especially for a main character, would negate that in its entirety. Especially if the show itself ended with that.

This is different from say, a death of a family member and the loved ones of that pony getting through that emotional nightmare together. That is something I could definitely support, but even that might not happen as it is a very dark subject to cover.

13 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

For this show, this is a terrible idea. The thing is, while this show has broken mold for a show of its type by actually being far deeper than its past incarnations, something like this would be going far over the deep end and flat out clashing with the overall vibe that the show has, which is a vibe of positivity. The characters experience hardship in pretty much every episode, but each episode ends on a good note, with those characters making it through that hardship, mainly due to their friends. Having a death like that, especially for a main character, would negate that in its entirety. Especially if the show itself ended with that.

This is different from say, a death of a family member and the loved ones of that pony getting through that emotional nightmare together. That is something I could definitely support, but even that might not happen as it is a very dark subject to cover.

This is all true, but what if it wasn't a death. I mean not death, but gone. What if for example, Discord, Celestia and Luna sacrificed themself for the sake of Equestria. They can hold of an enemy of, who almost succeeded. Twilight and the mane 10 can rule Equestria and so far so good. Thats a deep and tragic, but also positive ending in my opinion. 

I can't see any characters dying per se, but it could end with some characters (Celestia and/or the Mane 6, perhaps) ascending to a higher plane of existence to be eternal guardians of Equestria, or something along those lines. A bittersweet ending with emphasis on the sweet is certainly a possibility.

I've always held the belief that the show's universe would never end, even if the Friendship Is Magic ever did. To have the fourth generation end on Twilight's death seems quite dark, even for this show, especially if it comes with no rhyme or reason. While I could see her sacrificing herself for her friends, they might be saving that for the movie in all fairness, and I'm guessing Starlight may do so in the future if Chrysallis were to return. It's all in the vein of possibility. Then again, maybe having a death could be a good thing to advance the in-show universe, to the benefit of itself.

For example, last season, I predicted Granny Smith would die by the end of it. Using the episode it happened in not only to tell the true story about AJ, AB & BM's parents fates but also by handing control of the farm over to Applejack for good, it would allow this series to advance with the subject of death done in a way many could relate to in a poetic moment of transition and coming of age. While I was disappointed that this didn't happen, there's still time to have it happen and not come across as jarring like Twilight's senseless death would be. Hell, we know that Twilight isn't immortal as an alicorn, so her eventual death would be tragic but I wouldn't see it ending Friendship Is Magic as a whole considering how much its been built of positivity over the years. Sure, the FINAL EPISODE will be absolutely epic, something we can look back on and remember the show fondly, but to have it end with a death? I don't see it happening.

On 27/04/2017 at 1:37 AM, cmarston1 said:

The only kinda death I could see possibly being involved in the series would be that of Celestia as a way in order for her to pass the torch to Twilight so she can rule over Equestria, but even then I don't really see that being all that likely, instead we would get her retiring and allowing Twilight to take over instead of actually dying, because I don't see the type of show FIM is to end with the death of one of its main characters.

This is a good idea. Having Twilight rule over Equestria considering her progression throughout the show would be a perfect fit, but whether Celestia dies or not... that would be a difficult one to pull off as it would be expected for Luna to assume her sisters throne as the next heir via birthright (although we don't have the story of how they BECAME the princesses of sun and moon yet... or why they aren't referred to as Queens either, that still bugs me). Seeing her [Celestia] retire and put Twilight in her place, with Starlight eventually becoming the second princess of friendship (which based on this season thus far wouldn't be a bad shout to make) would be an easy way to continue the series forward if they go past a point of no return or as I've stated above, decide to advance the series timeline and give a new bunch of friendship crusading heroes a chance for Gen 5. However, the prospect of a Royal Funeral in this show would be something I would love to see... the sombre grandeur of it and how the show would approach it makes me smile just thinking about it. Under the right circumstances I'd approve, however I don't know whether they ever would go ahead with it.