173 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Nope; this rock surely crumbled...
    • Not really...
    • Meh; with Maude face.
    • I enjoyed it.
    • THAT EPISODE ROCKED!!!

starlight was a treat

she really let her hair down, and seemed relaxed for like the first time ever.

also, when she was talking to pinkie pie in bed, it was fantastic to see her town between telling the truth, and not hurting her friend's feelings.  It was very relatable for her to feel bad afterwards, and pulling the covers over her head in shame was fantastic! "friendship lesson learned" was a cute way to show it!

also, they've fleshed her out a bit mroe in other ways!
The whole kite thing totally fits her!  I like that she has a fun looking hobby to nerd out over. 

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 1

Hi @wardomatic long time no see. Glad to find out you are still on the FiM team. I'm impressed with the variety in this episode. I suspect Pinkie probably represented a fun challenge since she was at full hyper mode. Much expression. Very movement. :)

Overall I enjoyed the episode tremendously, especially the additional subtle depth given to Maud and Starlight. It definitely brings up a lot of discussion point with Maud's characterization, and I like that Starlight is starting to feel more naturally salty at times. She had quickly departed from the old Sunset copy/paste debate, and is trending closer to a more empathetic Pearl type character. 

The Town connection was interesting and they thankfully gave us some logic later that made it seem more than a simple contrivance or forced. The chartreuse gems not being as rare as Rarity though was a curious addition, and may lend itself to some inconsistency with how her gem finding talents work. But it was amusing to see that brief moment where you know she was about to go full Rarity Drama mode ... probably thinking "Everything I know is a facade!" 

• Brohoof 2

SPOILERS!!! 

I liked this episode. The graduation scene was a riot. I guess Maud was the only student? LOL. I never pictured Starlight and Maud together but it is actually a neat idea to pair them. It was so funny that they had met near Starlight's village. I also liked the lesson. I feel like the lesson in this episode should have been the lesson in the episode where Maud first appeared since I never felt the other Mane 5 did anything wrong in that episode. Pinkie seems to have a problem with forcing friendship. She forced friendship with Cranky Doodle as well in season 2. I liked how Starlight was trying to go easy on Pinkie but was just super blunt. I also loved Pinkie's PJ's!

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 1

OK.... mixed feelings about this episode. Overall i really liked it though. But let me tackle the pink elephant in the room first.

Goddammit Pinkie Pie! I adore you, but holy shit you were frustrating in this episode!!!!  Several times they were doing something with Maud and Starlight and I was like OMG!!! and then Pinkie dropped in like a Pink hand grenade and blew it all up. I mean I get that she was excited... and doing her best to help her sister and wanting her to make friends, but  her hyper-activeness was just so over the top, and her need to butt in every... single... time....! Gah! 

That being said.... everything else I adored.... even Pinkie in the beginning before she went all psycho about Maud making friends. Maud's treatment this episode was FANTASTIC! They really opened up her character in a way I was not expecting... and showed how deeply lonely and miserable she felt. It was a surprise bringing Starlight into the mix, but a very welcome one, they bounced off each other in a way that made the episode work... except when Pinkie kept dropping in and ruining the flow. So... with that said i will just run down what I liked and did not like.

What I liked

1. Maud's speech in the beginning was hilarious, do wish Limestone and marble had gotten speaking roles or more of a part, but alas.. Pinkie hoof bumping Boulder got a real hard laugh out of me as well.

2. Pinkie doing the Maud impression was great... and then popping her hair back to normal was worth a good laugh.

3. Poor Spike. He sure gets tossed around like a sack of potatoes sometimes doesn't he?

4. Lyra and Bonbon. So glad they got a bit part, with Lyra even being called by name. Her expression was priceless, as was Bonbons protectiveness over her and rescuing her from "harm". Again speaking rolls would have been nice, but alas.

5. Starlight was not what I was expecting, but I honestly can't think of anyone who would have been better having seen that. They connected in a way that really worked... and the call back to Maud telling Starlight where the rock to enslave her village was at was hilarious. Followed by the comment by Maud telling Pinkie that she has not enslaved anyone lately. It just says they are moving past that, and everyone else should to.... to keep dredging it up is pointless, although I know some people are probably ready to rage and scream about it some more having been reminded of it. Otherwise their interactions on everything was perfect... I liked the little subtle smiles Maud gave when Starlight agreed with her and seemed to truly get her.... and later we saw she truly did get her!

6. The cave was unexpected... and perfect for Maud's new house. It was like a little mini paradise right on the other side of the wall.  How Rarity missed that we'll never know. It turns out Maud is a better gemstone finder than rarity is. Does this mean rarity will be visiting her all the time?

7. Maud can shred guitar. Who knew?

8. The call back to Ghastly Gorge and the eels. I love seeing old places outside of Ponyville revisited.

9. I'll say it again because I really mean it. Maud Maud Maud. I already liked her, but this really opened up her character and gave her a new outlook both in the show, and for us as viewers.

The things I did not like.

Not too many, but the one was a whopper...

1. Pinkie Pie. Argggghhhhhh! I normally adore her, but this episode she did her best to ruin it. Thankfully the Maud and Starlight execution saved a lot of it. I give her props for apologizing and recognizing her mistake, but even in the end she popped in again and did it, which I can sort of understand, since that is just the hyper type of personality she is. Still, the episode would have been perfect if the had left Starlight and Maud to explore friendship on their own without her interference.

2. Maud in the eels mouth. That was just dumb. I know Maud is somewhat emotionless and oblivious to some things, but come on! She is not a moron at all seen time and time again. I was expected pinkie to walk upon and find the eel beaten up or cowering or something... anything but that! That just did not make me laugh and just hit me as pure silly.

Opinion... Pinkie dragged this one down hard in some parts, but everything else pulled it back up... so with that said...

7/10

if Pinkie had butted out it would easily have been a 10/10.

• Brohoof 5

The episode was solid apart, especially for giving Starlight a friendship with Maud(considering this is what should have happened in S6), but Pinkie reeeeeaaaaalllly brought it down, especially sucks considering this was supposed to be her episode. It kinda disappoints me that this is gonna be Confalone's only episode this season

Also FREE PIZZA

1424389__safe_screencap_derpy+hooves_pin

• Brohoof 6

Just now, A.V. said:

Must be exclusive as Tartarus, that university.

True, maybe it's like the Pony version of Harvard. Or she's the only pony interested enough in Rocks to get a "Rock-erate" If a "Rock-erate" takes as long as it does for people in the human world to get a doctorate than I could see a lot of ponies losing interest before they graduate LOL. Unless they are a Pie family member of course LOL.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

The episode was solid apart, especially for giving Starlight a friendship with Maud(considering this is what should have happened in S6), but Pinkie reeeeeaaaaalllly brought it down, especially sucks considering this was supposed to be her episode. It kinda disappoints me that this is gonna be Confalone's only episode this season

Also FREE PIZZA

Just from the animation of that scene, you can tell they are still trying new things with mane animation and angles. Props to the boarders and animation department. 

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

Also FREE PIZZA

Pizza is canon now. :blink:

Dem mushrooms, tho'.

Edited by A.V.

The unexpected friendship between Maud and Starlight was the biggest surprise for me and it quite works. Maud was really great in understanding Starlight Glimmer  just as she can relate to gems by not judging her and she accepts her the way she is. In this way, Starlight can see that and eventually opened up to her and befriended her naturally. The two can benefit from each other through that and for Starlight Glimmer, she grew as a more confident and sure pony who isn't afraid of expressing herself. Maud herself doesn't see the flaws or the bad in everypony and that's where she shines because she doesn't judges based on appearances or history but on whom they are now. The good thing is that these two characters who used to not have any friends found each other though despite their indifference, can still overcome the challenges to not only help themselves but with one another too. 

Edited by It's Starlight

Maud/Starlight is not a pair up I was expecting in the slightest, but somehow worked perfectly. 

Pinkie was kinda annoying but that was the point so I can let it slide, overall 9/10 from me, very very solid episode, I really wish Limestone had gotten some lines in the opener though. I really want them to do more with her, she's a lot of fun. 

Also that bit where Rarity is about to break down crying in the background and Spike is just eating Gems.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 4

Seven minutes in.

Pinkie being obnoxious in the opening is fine. Maud graduated, and Pinkie was all too happy to see her climb up the mountain.

That said, she's really teetering into obnoxious here. Her first "eeeeeeeeeeee" literally grated my ears, and she's really trying way too hard to impress Maud. Just let her get acquainted to the village naturally.

A few minutes later:

Heh. Pinkie's obnoxiousness with her rocks has some level of payoff. Tried way too hard to acquaint Maud to Ponyville through her passion, and it didn't work. The more it didn't work, the more she screwed up, and the more guilt she felt.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Pinkie: "I can't wait till you're old and eating pistachios together and telling your grandfoals about this."

Uh, did Pinkie just ship her sister with Starlight? :wacko:

29 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

3. Poor Spike. He sure gets tossed around like a sack of potatoes sometimes doesn't he?

That was a bit distressing, though he seemed to be enjoying himself eating Rarity's now-discarded gems in the scene immediately afterwards.

1 hour ago, Brainstorm said:

I like the fact that Maud met Spike in this episode

I had to think for a bit, but you're right that this is the first time they've ever showed the two of them meeting one another. Pinkie implied they were already pals but it was nice to see all the same. I imagine next to Starlight he'd be her next closest friend in town since they share a common interest in gems. Heck, I think she can even eat them like he does. It would be funny if they had a scene together discussing the particular bouquet a ruby has. XD

I think the big take-away from this ep, especially with Pinkie's role in it, is that while it's well and good to want something for others, sometimes you've just gotta sit back and wait for it to pan out in time, rather than trying to force the issue. So ya while I spent a good portion of the show annoyed at Pinkie, it's good to show that sometime you need to CHILL.

Also idk who thought Maud & Starlight would make a good friendship pairing but I'd like to thank them for it. Like they don't seem like they'd click AT ALL, yet their interactions were honestly my fave part. They're more relaxed when they were together, and it was fun seeing them share info about what they like, without any stress of trying to impress. It's a nice, stress free friendship between two people with niche interests, who aren't there to judge one another. IDK it worked for me, and I hope we can see more of them.

Sidenote though: I really like how Starlight's friendships all seem to have different flavours so to speak. Trixie & Starlight have a more upbeat friendship with more energy, while Maud & Starlight's is relaxed as I mentioned.

All in all, a good, fun episode!

• Brohoof 1

Best episode of the season thusfar.... the Starlight/Maud team really does rock.

It was also really neat that she required that special focus to steal cutie marks.  It means that such was kind of a unique circumstance.

And Maud's dry humor does actually work with Starlight.  Though I wonder if Maud does know of a rock that would allow one to take over Equestria....

They are both so powerful in their own ways.

---

I don't think Trixie is going to like this friendship...

The only weak part of the episode was with Pinkie Pie who failed to learn from Cranky Doodle.

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

7. Maud can shred guitar. Who knew?

2. Maud in the eels mouth. That was just dumb. I know Maud is somewhat emotionless and oblivious to some things, but come on! She is not a moron at all seen time and time again. I was expected pinkie to walk upon and find the eel beaten up or cowering or something... anything but that! That just did not make me laugh and just hit me as pure silly.

Hard Rock -- of course she can shred guitar...

I think the point was Maud didn't find herself in any danger despite being swallowed.  She would have just walked out // pushed through.  She is that strong.

• Brohoof 1

Well this episode served only to make me hate Pinkie Pie as a character. It was a pretty decent episode watching Starlight and and Maud bonding but Pinkie was extremely annoying.   Strangely enough, Starlight Glimmer actually seems interesting in this episode.

• Brohoof 1

I love Pinkie.  She's best pony for me, but while Maud may or may not shred guitar, Pinkie definitely shredded my eardrums this time around.  That's OK.  I forgive her.  She pulled so many great faces and reactions that I laughed out loud half a dozen times.  Polka-dot Pinkie Pie pyjamas.  Re-inflating hair. 

Good to see Maud again. 

• Brohoof 1

So far, the best part is by far the bond between Starlight and Maud. While it started off somewhat strained, it started to grow further and further. What really works is why Maud loves rocks so much. She understands rocks, feels at home with them, trusts them over the general pony population, and doesn't feel pre-judged when around them. And rather than have her feelings handwaved, Starlight believes and sympathizes w/ her. Touching.

• Brohoof 5

The problem with Pinkie Pie turning into a hyperactive stalker all of a sudden is that it's almost like shes not learnt a damn thing from the past 6 seasons.   I swear she wasn't always this annoying..  But this just another example of characters going out of character.

• Brohoof 2