Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do I add mp3 sounds into a thread?

General Solar Magus

• The title was changed to How do I add mp3 sounds into a thread?
  • 2 weeks later...

Moving your thread over to Site Questions & Tech Support so that it can receive the attention it deserves. Thanks! :) 

I'm afraid you'll have to use external services, such as Youtube or Soundcloud for that. Once uploaded, you'd be able to embed them to a post.

A workaround could be uploading to Google Drive and giving the link - it offers playing mp3 files within browser, though it opens that in a new tab, as it can't be embedded directly to the post.

That's a good question to be honest. It would be nice, if sharing music would be as simple as with images. For example, attachments allowing to embed an mp3 file like this would be really convenient and for the first time, the attachment system could be really useful. That's just a random thought though.

Anyway, I may have overlooked a better way. :twi: 

• Brohoof 1

On 4/27/2017 at 8:11 AM, General Solar Magus said:

Hi ponies,

I need to ask a question.

How do I add an mp3 sound into a thread without it being a link to a download? I want readers to hear the sound while reading a thread.

Thank you.

Autoplay is not supported. Embedding can still be done, but it's tricky and requires you to host the file online and not add it to the topic as an attachment. I'll test something in the Test Forum and circle back. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm back. So the round about way to link the file using two methods is as follows:

Method 1 - SoundCloud Upload

The software recognizes SoundCloud uploads, so that only requires you to use the direct embed link (see below example). 

https://soundcloud.com/eilemonty/i-am-octavia-titanium-parody-1

Posting that above linking into the post text editor will display something like this. 

Easy solution. 

Method 2 - Bassackwards BBCode linking. 

First I am going to post the formatted link as reference. You will need a link to the hosted music file and you will want an image.

[url=https://pony.fm/tracks/24650-she-likes-kites-original-traptrance-mix-wip-01][img=https://pony.fm/i5444/normal.png][/url]

Wrap both the song link and the image link in a BBCode [ url ] tag (no spaces), and the image link in an [ img ] tag (again no spaces). 

It looks like this. 

normal.png

Yeah, its basically an image linked to another site on a new tab that allows you to play the song, but you can always use an image that you made that instructs the person to click on it. The music link doesn't have to be Pony.fm song. Any supported image and url should work.

• Brohoof 1