Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Aged forum topics?

ManaMinori

I guess talking about the pony forum belongs here...?

How does the Brony community here feel about aged threads here? (Like the Poniverse Christmas 2016 events that stink up the homepage, or the PonyExpo, PacificPony Con, Buck Events, or FillyCon topics, under Conventions). Should they go? Stay?

Poniverse has contracts with the various Conventions that have to be considered. Those sections are not moderated or managed by MLPF staff in the same way, so that limits things depending on the wording of the contract, which is not user facing information. It is up to the Con Reps to decide how to organize those sections, if I remember the contracts correctly, and if they have not changed. So yeah, even if 100% of all users here thing they should be cleaned, the MLPF staff can't just jump in and start removing content that you deem superfluous. 

33 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

the Poniverse Christmas 2016 events that stink up the homepage

Whoa! I sincerely hope you aren't suggesting that they hide or remove this content. The MCM is not only extremely popular here, but it is a fun tradition to boot. Within those posts are some hilarious moments. Now I am biased, because a few months before my wife died, she joined in on the activities in there having fun with me and my daughter. It was one of the last silly things we all did online before all medical hell broke lose. She even became the living embodiment of a long running gag others pulled on me. The MCM that year is not something that I want to see wiped out. In fact, I would not have returned to MLPF or stayed here if not for @PiratePony, @Lightwing, @JonasDarkmane, @GrimGrimoire, @Rikifive, and many others' participation in the most recent MCM. If you want these historical and fun posts to be wiped clean, I will vehemently disagree with you. 

But, beyond the critical emotional connection that I have, there are other reasons to not touch the content. The MCM - all years of it - are a key part of what makes this forum unique. It is part of this site's tradition and narrative, and actually was born from a user suggestion years ago when the forum was young and smol. All activities that stemmed from it should stay. 

However, if you want them to move the Poniverse Events section down toward the bottom of the homepage since there are no current events, that is a more reasonable suggestion. I do believe that SIte Questions and Feedback threads may need pruning as some requests and complaints of the old board no longer apply, so I am not against removing junk - but the participation of hundreds of people in charity driven by this community is not junk. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Poniverse has contracts with the various Conventions that have to be considered (those sections are not moderated or managed by MLPF staff in the same way, so that limits things depending on the wording of the contract, which is not user facing information. It is up to the Con Reps to decide how to organize those sections, if I remember the contracts correctly, and if they have not changed. So yeah, even if 100% of all users here thing they should be cleaned, the MLPF staff can't just jump in and start removing content that you deem superfluous. 

Whoa! I sincerely hope you aren't suggesting that they hide or remove this content. The MCM is not only extremely popular here, but it is a fun tradition to boot. Within those posts are some hilarious moments. Now I am biased, because a few months before my wife died, she joined in on the activities in there having fun with me and my daughter. It was one of the last silly things we all did online before all medical hell broke lose. She even became the living embodiment of a long running gag others pulled on me. The MCM that year is not something that I want to see wiped out. In fact, I would not have returned to MLPF or stayed here if not for @PiratePony, @Lightwing, @JonasDarkmane, @GrimGrimoire, @Rikifive, and many others' participation in the most recent MCM. If you want these historical and fun posts to be wiped clean, I will vehemently disagree with you. 

But, beyond the critical emotional connection that I have, the MCM - all years of it - are a key part of what makes this forum unique. It is part of this site's tradition and narrative, and actually was born from a user suggestion years ago when the forum was young and smol. All activities that stemmed from it should stay. 

However, if you want them to move the Poniverse Events section down toward the bottom of the homepage since there are no current events, that is a more reasonable suggestion. 

I do believe that SIte Questions and Feedback threads may need pruning as some requests and complaints of the old board no longer apply, so I am not against removing junk - but the participation of hundreds of people in charity driven by this community is not junk. 

ha. Hardly. I'm just curious about what others think of these dated topics, and what they might like to see done with them, if anything at all. It's a tick that annoys me (seemingly  obsolete/dated topics in plain sight), personally, but I'm simply curious if they bother anyone else.

thanks for the info on the con forums, though. I didn't know that

Maybe there could be a "Memorable threads" archive (like on Gaia Online), to pin the MCM

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Hiya @Nightmare Muffin!

Due to the nature of this topic, it would be more fitting on our Feedback section, so I will be moving it there. Thank you!

• Brohoof 3

It's the part of the history! ^_^

It's always nice to have the possibility to revisit older threads with past events and such, not just to have temporary fun.
That's true it gets pretty messy with time, but if that really would be an issue, then just adding some kind of archive-subforums in these sections would help. Organizing better, perhaps, but removing? That would make everything look empty. :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't see what the issue is.. you can always toggle the forums on and off if you don't like them glaring at you. I am all for moving less used forums towards the bottom, but I think the events should be up towards the top since if they do decide to do something new, it would be nice to see it up higher where it would get more attention and give more people the opportunity to participate. Heck you can even add something so users can check boxes or something on what they do and do not want to see on the homepage or maybe rearrange it to their liking with what they like towards the top. We can already customize it so we don't have to ever see any threads from those sections if we do not want to, might as well give people the option to not be able to see them as well if they so desire or really see it any way they so please. But for me personally, having them there does not bother me... I can always look into them for ideas for future events if and when new ones spring up.

• Brohoof 1