Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Character limit box obstructing text

Foxy Socks

The minimum character limit text/box covers part of the text area. It may not seem like a big deal, but it is hard to see in that area, and can cause typing 

mistakes. The only way around it is to make a new line, but all of this can be avoided by moving the character limit box up.

• Brohoof 11

17 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

The minimum character limit text/box covers part of the text area. It may not seem like a big deal, but it is hard to see in that area, and can cause typing 

mistakes. The only way around it is to make a new line, but all of this can be avoided by moving the character limit box up.

I am not one to bitch and moan about the technical issues that arise on this site, but that little annoyance is one of the reasons I have slowed down my contribution on here. I have seen typos obscured by the overlay and in frustration I have simply backed out and said, "forget it". I am not going to wast my time fighting with an overlay. 

I suppose my other issue was how a long standing member of the community was seemingly dismissed in the "Contact a Staff" Discord chat by the Poniverse Board's Chair. @Miles pointed this UX issue out, but was waved off as it not being an issue. Thankfully @Lavo approached it with a different view.  

Please adjust the position of the overlay. Thank you. 

• Brohoof 6

Honestly I was going to whine on mention this as well. :D

Personally I had troubles when I wanted to correct a typo, because I was unable to highlight the text, due to it being covered by that counter. I had to use some workarounds for that. Thankfully arrow keys exist. eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3RiRHR0amIucG5nIn0.zDmz3yEeazMkf7ZzCiOF75VK68k

On 3.05.2017 at 3:08 AM, Jeric said:

I suppose my other issue was how a long standing member of the community was seemingly dismissed in the "Contact a Staff" Discord chat by the Poniverse Board's Chair. @Miles pointed this UX issue out, but was waved off as it not being an issue. Thankfully @Lavo approached it with a different view.  

Out of curiosity I've checked that chat and I'll have to totally agree with you there. :twi: 

Also I've noticed, that you were struggling with that issue on mobile ~ now that's a nail to the coffin. I found that issue to be inconvenient on PC; I can imagine how frustrating it can be on mobile.

So if that really is not an issue, then it's just poor coding/design. eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3RiRHR0amIucG5nIn0.zDmz3yEeazMkf7ZzCiOF75VK68k

• Brohoof 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I just hit enter once when I begin a post so I don't have to deal with this.  Very annoying.  Definitely needs to be fixed.  I'll never understand the purpose of changing something when the old way was perfect.  I don't even remember where the character counter was before...and that's the point--it was discrete and unobtrusive, and yet it was still easy to tell how many characters I had typed.  Just put it back the way it was, please.

• Brohoof 4

I also have to agree with this being an annoying issue.

As sometimes I end up writing a lot in a post, and some of my words end up under the character text spot, which seeing how sometimes I want to come back and edit my post, seeing as how I can make grammatical errors that I want to fix, or just wanted to edit the point I was trying to get across, the character box makes it really annoying for me, to the point where I just don't bother fixing the post, I wanted to fix.

I would really appreciate it, if it could be put in a better location.

• Brohoof 2

Normally i don't come here for every little technical issue, but i gotta agree with the others here. It's kinda frustrating when i write some longer texts.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I don't usually complain about anything but I have to join this complaint. It's really annoying, especially in the RPs when I want to color text under it or edit it otherwise. I know it's a small thing but it is really annoying. 

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 4

Like many others here, this is pretty much the only thing I'd complain about. It's really annoying to see my text being hidden by this text box. I'd suggest either moving it to the bottom, or removing it altogether when the limit is reached, although that might give people on smaller screens in the Debate Pit some issues.

• Brohoof 2

Joking aside, a response from the technical staff would be nice at this point. If people could kindly put a pause button on the pony politics, the end users have a request that has yet to be addressed. Don't take that personally, I've seen that happen enough in the business world of tech. I suspect it has caused a communication gap with the members of the forum as the focus has shifted to internal discussions.

I am reminded by the guy who created that website that was focused on selling books at one point, Jeff Bezos I think his name is. Smart guy, I wonder how is business is doing these days. 

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. 

The lamentations of stagnation leading to the loss of revenue become more valid if the driver of the revenue (the userbase) is acknowledged when they have a complaint. At least then when you do a push for additional revenue via a Patreon and Subscription drive, you can hang your hat on your crazy good communication, responsiveness, and a friendly nature. Nine individuals, who would be categorized as frequent visitors of this site, have come forward with a complaint about the character counter positioning. 

Has this topic been reviewed? 

Has this issue been discussed?

Do you feel that the complaints are valid?

Do you want to address the actionable points that were raised with a design solution?

What is the reasonable plan for resolution?

• Brohoof 2

I'm not one of the techpones so I don't know all the fine details, but moving the character count box is in the works. It's been a stubborn little rascal, but rest assured it'll be put in its place.

• Brohoof 1

Hah, one of the silliest possible workarounds would be opening the console and deleting that counter. :D

Spoiler

Z8tcmQt.png

Seriously though, something like this would be more convenient:

Spoiler

Js63Jwg.png

However, I'm not sure if that would work in low-resolution displays. Covered buttons would be even worse. :P 

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Hah, one of the silliest possible workarounds would be opening the console and deleting that counter. :D

Hide contents

Z8tcmQt.png

Seriously though, something like this would be more convenient:

Hide contents

Js63Jwg.png

However, I'm not sure if that would work in low-resolution displays. Covered buttons would be even worse. :P 

Yep. Been making on-the-fly changes as well since it's fairly easy. 

• Brohoof 1

I have been having this issue aswell. It is absolutely maddening. Especially when i am trying to proof read my reply before i post it. This is something that needs to be fixed asap. 

• Brohoof 1