Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E06 - Forever Filly

Dark Qiviut

Forever Filly  

103 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• The Worst. Possible. THING! ("I HATE IT!!!" >__<)
    • *flops on couch in despair, eats ice cream* ("I dislike it." -__-)
    • …Meh…
    • Simply Divine! ("I like it!")
    • Fabulous! ("I love it!" <3)

1 minute ago, Lambdadelta said:

I still havent this episode yet, waiting for youtube upload...

TFW Dark Qiviut visibly links to a good livestream... yet my attention span makes me overlook it until the last second.

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

For those who missed the stream or need a reviewing.. it is on youtube as well now. :P

Warning for those interested. Video is messed up pretty bad.

Got a link?

Wow! We see the CMC help another pony get their Cutie Mark! Glad to see the Crusaders are still doing their joint talent!

• Brohoof 1

Continunity nod! The CMC clubhouse has framed photos of ponies the CMC's helped over the series, including their sisters from the kart racing episode, Tender Taps from On Your Marks, Gabby from The Fault in Our Cutie Marks, Cherrilee and Big Mac, and there's even a picture of Diamond Tiara!

• Brohoof 1

Something about this conflict doesn't add up. The episode suggests that Rarity and Sweetie Belle don't really spend much time together, and Sweetie has grown up. But don't Rarity and Sweetie Belle live not far from each other, and haven't we seen them together quite a bit over the years?

• Brohoof 3

This was......a fairly hard-hitting episode for me honestly. The entire subject matter is something that hits very close to home for me, as I remember all the good times I once had with my family and friends and how we have grown so distant, but unlike Rarity and Belle, I have no connection with most of them now. I don't feel like I can connect with most of my family now and even friends, well, I barely have any left. I remember those better times and how they probably won't happen again.

The episode itself was pretty good I thought, the CMC's really are a a success and seeing Rarity's love for Sweetie Belle is wonderful. In the end though, the concept of the episode depressed me and that is my own problem. I just wish I didn't have that problem. Now I am not too sure what to think.

• Brohoof 4

9 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Something about this conflict doesn't add up. The episode suggests that Rarity and Sweetie Belle don't really spend much time together, and Sweetie has grown up. But don't Rarity and Sweetie Belle live not far from each other, and haven't we seen them together quite a bit over the years?

Pretty much the same i was thinking. Kinda felt like the writers where ignoring that for the sake of the plot.

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

Is it just me or did they age-lifted the CMC?

Story wise their interests are changing, so they are growing up. The models are the same height from what I can see, but I could be mistaken. We'll find out next week when Big Jim answers questions about the episode. 

There are things I loved about the episode, small touches like the last scene with the larger sundaes, Rarity lamenting her career is now an obstacle in keeping up with family, and some dialog snippets. 

There felt like something was missing here. The moral about growing up and letting go and evolving with the person is great and all, but it wasn't exactly communicated the way it should work, or how it does work. Even though we all grow out of things, we still keep some childhood activities close to our heart. The last scene seemed to reinforce that. The childish elements of the ice cream sundae were kept, but it was just bigger. 

It seems like the opportunity for a smart curveball was missed. Tastes change as we mature, some are replaced, and some are evolved. 

What I am glad for is that Sweetie Belle didn't go to the "Rarity you are embarrassing me!" angle. Instead there was a focus on, "I've grown. I'm different. Why don't you know that?" As a parent I can absolutely appreciate that, and especially when a career does make for a reason something falls into your blind spot. 

A 'not everything changes' line before the last scene would have gone a long way I think. 

Good episode that I liked, but it didn't stick the landing for me. 

• Brohoof 6

So having watched and re-watched it (first viewing Vin Diesal was determined to put a stop to it so missed several parts of it) I can honestly say I enjoyed it overall... it was a really good episode for Rarity and Sweetie Belle both.

My opinions.

Spoiler

Is is just me, or does Sweetie Belle act and sound like the leader of the crusaders in this episode... she comes off as much more confident and intellectual than the others. I have always mentally I guess thought of Apple Bloom as the unofficial leader, but after this I am making mental note shifts.

It was great seeing Sassy return... she is one of my favorite minor characters and he dynamic with Rarity is always welcome. The handkerchief scene got a good chuckle out of me. They also really touched base on how busy Rarity is these days.. which makes me wonder even more about the future of the mane 6 with several of them having so many duties and responsibilities. She has 3 shops now, and I would not be surprised if she did not expand further at some point. With all that work, it makes you wonder how she will find time in the future for her friends and for her cutie map duties? (if they have not been dropped)

Chip is a cute new character... another small future inductee into the possible future CMC perhaps (wishful thinking)? Although the name is a bit of a tired cliche. And speaking of foals, nice to see the return of Zipporwhill. Call backs to these possible one shot characters and giving them a new story or supporting roles is a very welcome thing for me. Even the return of the puppet master was pretty cool. I makes me wonder what other small characters I have forgotten about who might show up for a much bigger part in the future.

What the hell??? No fainting couch?! What kind of clubhouse is that anyway!!!? Every home and office should have a fainting couch!  And this episode just again verified for me one of the actual few ships I can get behind with Big Mac and Cheerilee. So cute together! Not looking forward to Sugar Belle spoiling that at all. :(

Twisty is no party favor... maybe he needs to go take lessons? Still sad heart is sad. Also, welcome back chicken costume on rarity this time. Nice egg Sweetie Belle... with that face they missed the perfect rotten egg joke.

All that being said... I really felt for Rarity... I know the feeling of watching someone grow up, and losing touch with them on some level... wanting things to be how they were, and having a hard time accepting how they are now. This can reflect on people of all ages, and not just adults and children. It hit me right in the feels when Rarity teared up. I wonder if we will see something similar with Apple Bloom and her family or with Scoots? I think as a morale,it really did its job and was presented in a very relate-able way. How many parents or older siblings have either gotten something or tried to take a child somewhere only to get the eye rolls or that "are you serious?" look on their face?

As for stuff i did not like... the only real thing I guess I have is Ripley. I mean he does not want the ball, but he wants the stick? Fetching is fetching, so that is kind of odd... at first they implied he was just an older dog and thus not as interested in playing anymore, and then in the end, he wants to play... it is not really a big deal.. just a bit odd overall. I've owned plenty of dogs, so I know they can be just as weird as people, so I can't really question that since it can be chalked up to an individual dogs personality.

So yeah, no real complaints. I loved the morale and the plot and felt it really worked. Lots of nice call outs and blasts from the pasts.

9/10 for being something I can very readily relate to.

• Brohoof 2