Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

Parental Glideance  

162 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• *slams door* "NOT cool!" (I HATE IT!!!!! >____<)
    • *bored to death at Twilight's school desk* "Sure. Fun." (I dislike it.)
    • "It needs to be about 20% cooler." (…meh…)
    • "Uh, I mean, it was a'ight." (I like it!)
    • "That. Was. AWESOME!" *insert Dash's cute awesome face*

(edited)

Early thoughts with Spoilers: I really liked this episode! It was very well written. I loved seeing Rainbow Dash's parents and Scootaloo in this episode. This episode provided great character development especially for Scootaloo when we find out she does not get much encouragement. My problem with this episode is that I wish the parents had also learned more concretely that they did indeed go a little overboard and caused Rainbow Dash to be way to overconfident and brash by over encouraging her. In the disability community there is a concept called "Inspiration p*rn" (which I don't fully agree with in all of its iterations these days) where disabled people do not want to be considered to be inspirational just for simply existing and living with a disability. Being over encouraged for "normal" "everyday things" can be harmful to the person or in this case pony being encouraged in my opinion. I do like however that Scootaloo seems to understand the importance of having support that a lot of people who whine too much about "inspiration p*rn" never get so thank you Scootaloo! She's actually a disabled character to address this which is awesome!!!! 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 4

Man I keep thinking that the amount of amazing episodes will stop but it just keeps rolling! 

Another 10/10 episode!

My favorite pony rainbow dash and my favorite cmc scootaloo!

Great episode!

This season is nailing it with amazing episodes. I honestly was expecting a lot of cringe this episode but it was handled really well!

• Brohoof 2

21 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Never specifically confirms that either. The wording she used could be taken either way, so, we can take our pick.

Scoots said "some ponies would kill to have parents LIKE THAT". Meaning that her parents WEREN'T like RD's parents. She could've stopped at "some ponies would kill to hve parents", but she didn't, which means that she has parents, they just don't support her as much as Bough Hothoof and Winty Whistles.

19 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Mane 6 can't be developed, they said. There is nothing left to tell, they said. :wub:Where are your comments now :wub: Starlight fanfoals? :wub: It's not just the character, it's the pen.

I'm actually both a Starlight fan and a Mane 6 fan. Never doubted that they would get character development :)

That being said, I really liked this episode! I think it nails the aesop dealing with being very embarrassing without involving flat annoying characters (not that I've dealt with that myself, anyway); Rainbow's parents are clearly very happy for her and really just wanted to support their daughter, while to others and especially Rainbow Dash they went overboard. I agreed with Rainbow yelling at first though, but very quickly afterwards I realized she could've probably simply told them they're embarrassing instead of yelling and the episode did not hesitate to nod to that remark (as the reactions of Scootaloo and her parents attest to). Now I'm not saying that she shouldn't have actually yelled; the yelling came naturally as I believe it would in real life and showed that it wasn't the right way to solve it, which means I think that they handled this scene very well. I also like how the Wonderbolts didn't automatically blame Rainbow Dash for what her parents did, that element is something I've seen too many times in cartoons and I'm honestly tired of seeing characters being punished for what others did (it's just a cheap way to try to grab laughs I believe) so I'm glad they didn't do this.

I also really like the jokes about the "installed sound effect" and the sandwich. The former was a good parody of those "majestic fanfare moments" (or whatever they're called) and the latter goes to show that they didn't just go for making a single-scene gag that would be forgotten quickly and went out of the way to actually keep it throughout the whole episode, ending it on a conclusive "There was a moldy sandwich" remark by Cheerilee. I love well-placed jokes.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Scoots said "some ponies would kill to have parents LIKE THAT". Meaning that her parents WEREN'T like RD's parents. She could've stopped at "some ponies would kill to hve parents", but she didn't, which means that she has parents, they just don't support her as much as Bough Hothoof and Winty Whistles.

Yeah, but that wording STILL could leave it open for her being an orphan. Even orphans HAD parents at some point or another.... no one comes from under cabbage leaves no matter what toy makers proclaim. Thus they could be deceased, negligent or whatever... just not in her life. There has been enough information from the writers leaked out that suggests she does have them, and that they are just extremely busy... but until they do an episode on it, or truly outright talk about it one way or the other, it is open to anything. A simple tweet cannot change someone getting a great idea for an episode and them rolling with it.

So yeah not disagreeing with you since it still could go either way as it stands now.

• Brohoof 2

Oh, hey, Doctor and Rose! ^^

Parents shoot off fireworks during the show.

And now I can see why Dash didn't tell them at all and kept her Ponyville life private. She knew they'd react like this!

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Anyone else feel like this was more of a Scootaloo episode than a RD episode?

At first, maybe. Now that I'm halfway through, not so sure.

I know some kids would grimace hard at having parents act like Hot Hoof and Whistle, but there are also some parents who'd wish for parents like them, too.

And it's great how they actually made both Mom and Dad super-supportive of Dash rather than the other way around.

• Brohoof 4

I think this was the best episode of Season 7 so far. It's funny and clever, everypony was in character, and I loved how it both celebrated Rainbow and kept her "human", and how everypony had some character development along the way. 

• Brohoof 3

56 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

oh god, this is like da vinci codes level of over analyzing. Nothing in this episode ever confirms, what Scootaloos parents really are like. We don't know if they are dead, we don't know if they where abusive, or if Scoots actually never met them.

DHX did a concept that could've gone so wrong in such a hurry, but not only did they do the concept well. It far exceeded my expectations.

Best episode of the season so far!

• Brohoof 11

(edited)

Wow, the Scootalove went to 11+ here.

It's like they made up for 6 seasons of her feeling kind of like the sad, odd foal among the CMC with one episode!

And this is by far the most positive portrayal of the Wonderbolts the show has ever done, with them not being hard on RD in the beginning and even going forward with her apology plan.

I'm a little shaky on the moral. (Morals?) I guess her parents learned their lesson even though they didn't state it since they acted "normal" at the end, and Rainbow learned to appreciate her parents more. The thing is, I was totally on Rainbow's side because her parents seemed like those kind of parents I see too often at youth sporting events that make it less about their kid's team and more about their kid, even getting into altercations when they don't like something that has happened.

But then it switched to Rainbow being the bad guy, and that was also evident. I guess I wish the two morals had meshed together better, though everypony was happy in the end so maybe I'm just being a grumpy Gus? X3

I'm also a little uneasy about RD, Spitfire, Soarin, and Lightning Dust all being in the same competitions as foals. It kind of breaks continuity with previous appearances since all indications were they never knew each other before they met in their respective episodes. Also I always thought Soarin's baggy eyes were due to him being older. Apparently not!

But I feel the worst for Derpy. It was heartbreaking to see her flying prowess fail as her eye problem got worse and worse. :( Now I kind of want to see them fix her eyes just before the series ends, so she can get back the abilities she used to have.

I'm on the fence again with this episode like I was with "Fluttershy Leans In". But this time it's between liked and loved. As before when I see a non-sped up version on DFC I'll decide for sure. =)

Also, I think I've decided how to handle all these early episodes. If it's an episode that has glowing reviews by most of the fandom or has significant spoilers, I'll watch it early. This episode had both so it was a no-brainer. :lol:

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

First, i have to make it clear, its not a RD episode, it more like a Scootaloo episode but RD has important role in this ep... well, a RD/Scootaloo ep i guess.

And Second, THIS EP IS FUCKING AWESOME, the plot is straight forward and predictable, it isnt deep as many previous episode this season, but it doesnt even need it, it AWESOME, it entertains me from start to end, its try to be cringey but somehow it works, IT WORKs. I can feel energy that the writer and animators put in this ep and the energy transfer to me though characters, this ep treat RD like an awesome pony she should be.

This is an episode that this show should have sometimes, full of energy and not worry too much about making it... too humble. Fuck energy drink, i will watch this ep...
Sorry, i went too overboard, i should be more professional... people like to read criticism more than fanboying comments...
Scootaloo is a bit annoying in the first few minutes of the ep, but its understandable, she finally see What make her idol awesome, its good to see Scootaloo fanboying RD returns. RD's parents are too over the top, they spend too much time cheering, keep making their daughter uncomfortable, they look like Vapor Trail parents but more over the top. Too many references in previous eps, filly Lightning Dust is so cute, too bad she become bad girl now. Too many screaming in this ep may turn you off, i can understand if you dont like this ep just because of that, even i have to turn down the volumn. RD frustration is understandable, and i like when she yelling at her parents but her over the top parents just dont make me take them seriously. The ep is really funny and more fast-paced than any episode of this season.

Eh... i cant think anymore to say... i just watched this ep for once, i have to watch it again to organize my thought but now its messy and here my first impression, 9/10.

The second best episode of S7 and my favorite RD/Scootaloo episode so far. We got Rarity/Sweetie Bell, RD/Scootaloo episode, will we get AJ/Apple Bloom one?

Bonus: This ep is exactly opposite with 'Fluttershy Leans In', like an actual lively person...

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash's blowup at her parents is Putting Your Hoof Down's notorious berating scene done correctly.

PYHD: Fluttershy went after Rarity's and Pinkie's passions and reasons for living with a cruel-looking face. The way she said it and HOW she said gives the implication that Fluttershy was very deliberate in cutting into them very deep.

PG: Here, Rainbow Dash blew up, because Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistle went overboard, and she was at her limit. While what she said was absolutely wrong, her reasons were understandable. In addition, Rainbow Dash immediately regretted what she said and wanted to make things right.

• Brohoof 7

5 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

PYHD: Fluttershy went after Rarity's and Pinkie's passions and reasons for living with a cruel-looking face. The way she said it and HOW she said gives the implication that Fluttershy was very deliberate in cutting into them very deep.

IMO, she didn't truly, 100% mean it; she was just on so much of an "assertiveness" high that she was ultimately pulling anything and everything out of her flank just to tell them off.

Still not a fun scene, though, so I'll give you that much.

• Brohoof 1

Easily, one the best episodes of this season. 

It was definitely worth the wait. The story, the jokes, the visuals, the characters, the moral – everything was very good. And what many people were afraid of turning out cringey, turned out to be hilarious.

For me, it was also the best Scootaloo episode so far. Her fangirling (or is it fanfillying?) was just gold! Hopefully, we’ll see more of her own story in future – it has been somewhat hinted in this episode, and Big Jim promised Lauren Faust that they will follow her vision on this matter (she said Scoot’s parents are very busy, and she is good at avoiding the foalsitter).

As for my favorite part, it was the “flashback competition prizes places sequence”. Those Derpy’s eyes changes though.

So, I really enjoyed the episode, although two questions remain: 1. Who is Rainbow Blaze? 2. When will we see Scootaloo’s parents?

Spoiler

P. S. A whovian here. Doctor and Rose were shown together again. Yay!
1431120__safe_screencap_doctor+whooves_r

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

There are TWO TIME IN A ROW, a kid's is nearly killed by some stupid stunts. Kids are not safe in Equestria.

Applebloom.png

OH LOOK AT THOSE FACES, DOES IT LOOK LIKE THE FACES OF CONCERNING OF SOMEONE'S LIFE? THIS POOR KID CAN BE CRUSHED INTO PASTES. THAT FUCKed UP!!! :blink: 

Scootaloo.png

OH GOD, IF RD'S DAD DID NOT STOP, SCOOTALOO'S HEAD WILL TURN INTO MILLION PIECES OF MEAT, THEN WE WILL GET SINISTER'S REFERENCE (The famous Lawnmower scene).

Seriously, these kids NEED adults...

Edited by Lambdadelta

I loved when Dash told her parents off for being rude and disruptive

Then facepalmed when she's the villain for doing the right thing

My Little Pony: Hypocrisy is Magic!

Other than that, a great episode

Also, Scootaloo confirmed orphan, or at the very least has unsupportive/distant parents

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Then facepalmed when she's the villain for doing the right thing

My Little Pony: Hypocrisy is Magic!

You completely miss the point here. Dash had every right to call them out for being rude and disruptive, but how she did it suggested that she didn't want anything to do with them. That's where she's wrong and why she apologized.

• Brohoof 3

34 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

You completely miss the point here. Dash had every right to call them out for being rude and disruptive, but how she did it suggested that she didn't want anything to do with them. That's where she's wrong and why she apologized.

Rainbow Dash: Stop! This is ridiculous! Mom and Dad, you are both too supportive! This is exactly why I didn't tell you I was a Wonderbolt! You're just... too much!

Windy Whistles: Did... Did we do something wrong?

Rainbow Dash: Yes! The fireworks, the cheerleading, and-and how do you even compare who is better or worse at hanging up a towel?!

Bow Hothoof: We're just trying to be supportive.

Rainbow Dash: Well, I'm tired of it! I've had enough of you two being so proud of every little ridiculous, insignificant thing I do!

I don't see the part where she didn't want anything to do with them, but whatever works for you.

But hey, at least she apologized and her parents now know to tone it back.

I didn't like all of the screaming that occurred throughout the episode. It started off well and good but became incredibly cringe-worthy as the episode continued on and reached a point where I just had to stop watching for a few moments. That was the only negative that I noticed. Everything else was simply delightful and reminds us that despite how parents may behave when it comes to the success of their children, they do it out of love and wanting their children to succeed at whatever they set their minds to. Rainbow Dash has come to that very realization and now sees her parents in a different light than she did before. Also, Scootaloo got to shine immensely as she learned new things about her hero--both good and bad--and proved to be a driving force behind everything.

By the way, did everyone notice how the positions of the fillies kept on changing during that one flashback and the expressions they had? Quite the meticulous detail along with cameo appearances by Derpy and Lightning Dust in addition to seeing all of them as fillies for the first time--minus Rainbow Dash as we've seen her filly self plenty of times. And then there were those photos Scootaloo showed to Rainbow's parents. They were definitely stock photos taken from the actual episodes--a lovely continuity throwback--yet how did she get those photos in the first place especially when she wasn't there in both instances.

Rainbow's parents... Definitely wasn't expecting them to turn out the way they did, and in the credits they were referred to by their names instead of Mr. Dash and Mrs. Dash like we've seen with other parents. I liked how enthusiastic they were to their daughter and even had some Pinkie Pie moments what with the cannon and their unique costumes. Rainbow definitely inherited their best qualities and even now continues to learn something new from them and adapt it to her own life. Finally, we have the Wonderbolts, and this time they were represented in a positive light compared with previous appearances. Granted, they were supporting characters for the most part but they played their parts well.

One last thing... Spitfire should consider keeping her tail shorter. It could become all the rage you know.