Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the show gaining popularity again?

TheGOAT

It's not at its peak but it seems like FIM is gaining popularity back this year, especially compared to season 6. #MLPSeason7 is actually trending on Twitter and Facebook on a weekly basis which I don't think it did last year.

I think the movie has invigorated some fans and caused some peaked interest. I have never been one to look at numbers, but it would be interesting to see if indeed more people are watching the show.

With the movie coming up in October, a season currently airing, and the three EQG specials to be released this summer, there is a lot of content to talk about, more than we usually get anyway.

2 hours ago, StitchandMLPlover said:

It always seemed popular to me. 

It was, but it kinda went under the radar to most people for a while. I think the upcoming movie has to do with it 

I'd say it is gaining more ground than it has in the past season or so, since season 6 was sorta middle of the road, didn't go anywhere fast. Season 7 has already revealed several key ideas that the fandom has been thinking of for a long time, like the exploration of RD's parents as well as AJ's parents, among other things.

I think the fact that Season 7 is doing very good and the movie is really contributed to it.

Mainly the movie though. It sparked a lot of interest from people who left after season 2.

Kinda nostalgic

1 minute ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Ratings and viewership are at an alltime low. The trend of the show doing poorly in TV views hasn't reversed itself at all.

I don't think ratings are actually equivalent to viewers at this point. Maybe a long time ago. But I think most people have moved past watching TV and use internet now. Also the fact of the constant changing network didn't help.

1 minute ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

The trend of the show doing poorly in TV views hasn't reversed itself at all

Less and less people are watching it on TV. Youtube and streaming services are slowly taking that over. And the situation with Treehouse is not helping this season.

Needless to say, with the way people ingest the show currently, it is very difficult to tell how popular it is. I will say it apparently is doing very well since Hasbro is putting up stuff at least until sometime next year... they would not do that if everything was a complete downward spiral. The newness has worn off, so a lot of the "hanger ons" are dropping off and finding new shows to act all hip about... and obviously other people are coming out of the wood works just trying to get into it again, because we see them pop up in the forum and tell us so... some who have not been watching for a couple seasons even. Overall I would say it is steady.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Klaatu said:

I'm really curious to see how the movie performs. I think that'll serve as a good metric of where the show stands.

I still say the movie is a poor metric for the series as a whole. It can be a good way to measure the FRANCHISE, but not the cartoon series itself's popularity.
A movie will be pulling on alot of MLP brand name power to get its sales, not just the show itself, so there's alot of grey area in it, yeah? So you'll have a group of people taking kids to see it just because they remember MLP from the 80s, not because their kid watches the cartoon.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Klaatu said:

I'm really curious to see how the movie performs. I think that'll serve as a good metric of where the show stands.

I bet the movie will be big success. Considering a number of people who left season 2 or season 1 will watch it cuz nostalgia

Edited by Firedog

4 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I still say the movie is a poor metric for the series as a whole. It can be a good way to measure the FRANCHISE, but not the cartoon series itself's popularity.
A movie will be pulling on alot of MLP brand name power to get its sales, not just the show itself, so there's alot of grey area in it, yeah? So you'll have a group of people taking kids to see it just because they remember MLP from the 80s, not because their kid watches the cartoon.

Fair point. I am interested in how the mainstream audience reacts, though, and if there are any potential new/returning fans among them.