Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Celestia keep Sunset under her wing?

ManaMinori

in "the Fall of Sunset Shimmer", we see SS at  a point where she already had her cutie mark as a filly. Its unclear when she got it, but she's already Celestia's presonal sudent at that time. Question is- why? (aside from the fact that she's awesome) In the Journal of the Two Sisters, Celestia (and Luna) mention that the symbols on the ToH draw them in, they know there's something special about them (all the moreso after th sisters got their cutie marks and realized they were the same ones as on the tree), and Starswirl; knowing, got an obvious twinkle in his eye that they saw, and came to the conclusion that the symbols were important to their future.After getting their marks, they asked Starswirl if he knew the pony with the third mark (Twilight's future mark), and they saw that Starwirl clearly knew something, and that they would wait to someday meet that pony. So if Sunset- being Celestia's personal student- didn't have that cutie mark- why would Celestial still keep her. What was she grooming her for, if not the position of a princess of friendship, like Twilight turned out to be?

Maybe she just wanted to continue being Sunset's teacher? What was she gonna do? "You don't have the right destiny, get out". Maybe Celestia just cared about her? Sure, she wasn't the Element of Magic she needed, but that didn't mean she couldn't keep teaching her anyway.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, RareBase said:

Maybe she just wanted to continue being Sunset's teacher? What was she gonna do? "You don't have the right destiny, get out". Maybe Celestia just cared about her? Sure, she wasn't the Element of Magic she needed, but that didn't mean she couldn't keep teaching her anyway.

heehee. yeah. jk. The confession in "Celestial Advice" could've applied to SS, originally- that (after the Luna banishment) Celestia wanted to keep SS aroundand close to her, but had to send her away, much like she later did with Twilight, but still- she had to have had some plan for Sunset before that, in spite of not having the right cutie mark and destiny that the ToH had showed her.

Just now, Nightmare Muffin said:

heehee. yeah. jk. The confession in "Celestial Advice" could've applied to SS, originally- that (after the Luna banishment) Celestia wanted to keep SS aroundand close to her, but had to send her away, much like she later did with Twilight, but still- she had to have had some plan for Sunset before that, in spite of not having the right cutie mark and destiny that the ToH had showed her.

Maybe she would have ended up an Alicorn too, or a high ranking mage.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/7/2017 at 10:00 AM, RareBase said:

Maybe she would have ended up an Alicorn too, or a high ranking mage.

hmm. I could certainly get behind her becoming a mage like Starswirl, while Twilight turned out  more like Celestia, as an alicorn princess. yeah.

On 5/7/2017 at 3:21 PM, BronyNumber42 said:

Oh, I thought the title was the set up for a joke.

Why did Celestia keep Sunset under her wing?

Because she wouldn't fit in the glovebox. =D

Seriously though, Celestia knows why she does the things she does. Either way, thank heavens it went down the way it did, since Sunset is exactly where she should be. Them human types need her at this point. 

On 5/7/2017 at 0:03 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

Question is- why?

Potential she had great potential. Yoda had Dooku and Obi-Wan had Anakin. Some students lose their way as Sunset did due to her arrogance and lust for power. 

(edited)

I guess the most plausible reason was that Sunset was an excellent student who did not get along with other ponies and Celestia wanted her to become more social.

But my headcanon is that Sunset lived in an abusive household, and Celestia wanted to help her out of it and show her how to use her full potential. I also think that Sunset reminded her somehow of Luna (personality-wise). :I

Edited by Aya. K.
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Take a look at that image on the Tree of Harmony, then look at Sunset's cutie mark. They're near identical.

In fact a lot of spellcasting ponies have a pointed star as part of their cutie marks. Funnily enough, Sunset, Starlight and Twilight have six points, and Trixie has five.

Poor Trixie.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I'm sure Celestia knew Sunset would return eventually and I'm also sure that Twilight must've kept her informed about Sunset's progress in the other world from her previous visits and the journal.

• 1 year later...