Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you like going to the doctor as a kid?

Mesme Rize

When i used to be a kid, between the ages 3-7 i was going to my pediatrician alot of times because i was always sick with something, especially during winter.

I was pretty much getting used to it and i was always fascinated with the instruments that the doctor had (especially the stethoscope) and he always gave some sweets at the end. Only thing i didn't like was getting a shot, but even that i got used to.

What about you guys? Did you liked going to the doctor, did you not, or something inbetween?

^410A4A2397ACA8DAC16CD1A26652A3CB27B4FF31827E4C6652^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

• Brohoof 1

I never minded the doctor as a kid, apart from when I needed shots. Same with the dentist, with the exception of the one time I needed to get a cavity filled. :P

• Brohoof 1

I never really went as a kid. Only for injections but that's all. As I gotten older yeah I went, but I hated it because they are horrible. They don't check for anything. They ASSUME what is wrong and give you tablets that don't work. So I just don't really go. 

• Brohoof 1

I never liked it. Thanks to my constant fears of surgery for my shunt dealio, I have always had anxiety when going into any major medical facility. That anxiety is worse now than it was in the past too. 

• Brohoof 1

There are times where the trip was bad; other times, not so bad!

In general, having to get a cavity filled is bad, but a simple check-up is no trouble at all!

(edited)

I for some reason really enjoyed the sensation of when the doctor did general tests. It's just I really had a fear of injections that made it quite hard for me when I had to have my immunisations at high school. To be honest the whooping cough one was the worst and I felt like crap for a full 48 hours after the injection. But the thing is that I learned off my mom that the flu shot and the whooping cough immunisation don't mix too well. It was last year when me and my mom went for our flu shots but my mom was also having the whooping cough injection. She couldn't really do anything for ad least two days as she felt extremely weak and drained from both injections. I'm actually really good with injections now as I had no problem at all when I had my yearly flu shot recently. Plus a good thing is that I've never had a single cavity and I've never gotten close to getting one. The dentists say that I'm possibly going to be one of the lucky people who never have a single cavity in their lifetime and that's if I keep up my current dental care at home like the way I brush.  :)

Edited by Techno Universal
  • Brohoof 1

I hated it. I was in all the time it seemed like for some stitches or something or the like.

You would think as much as I went and hated it, I would have been more careful... but I never learned.

• Brohoof 1

I did not enjoy visiting my primary physician as a child. I remember being terrified of receiving injections and always crying/whining to my mother. I was always paniced and uneasy because I was unable to properly deal with discomfort in a more mature manner (ya know, beng a young child and all).

Nowadays, my fear of the seeing the doctor has decreased significantly. 

:P

• Brohoof 1

To be honest and not to offend anybody, i never got why kids where so afraid of going to the doctor, even as a kid. Yeah, the shots where not nice, but other then that, there was nothing really bad for me about it.

Not here to offend anybody, just an observation.

• Brohoof 1

I always had fond memories visiting my doctor as a child, her and I were close and I saw her as a friend. Up until she had to... umm... check me out, that is when I began to not like visiting the place... and then she left for a different clinic a few months later, which I also didn't like because I had a new doctor after years of having just one. I haven't seen a doctor since I was 12 (except for ones at pharmacies who do flu shots), which probably isn't good but I don't have money to throw away so a doctor could tell me I'm doing fine. Maybe when I'm older, have more money, and not as lucky as I'am now.

Hell no!

Every time I went, it was for an injection. I like that its virtually impossible for me to get, say, Measles, but is there really not a better way than sticking a needle in someone's arm?

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I hated it. I was in all the time it seemed like for some stitches or something or the like.

You would think as much as I went and hated it, I would have been more careful... but I never learned.

Yeah, I had my share of dumb childhood injuries too. No broken bones until I was an adult, but many many cuts, lacerations, and bloody clothes. Riding bikes in construction yards in a city sounds fun every time until you do it. 

O.o

Other than physicians being skimpy on numbing agents during suture kit time, I was cool with them. Actually took the MCAT at one point to jump into the whole "I'mma fix you up" gig. Few fields have more respect from me, especially Internists (not to be confused with Medical Residents). 

• Brohoof 1

@Mesme Rize

Actually, I would like to add something:

As a kid, I NEVER actually hated going to see my doctors, per se. Between my eye doctor, dentist, medication doctor, and even the hospital that did surgery on my legs in 6th grade, I'd never hated any of them at all! I love them for all the help they've given me.

However, there were some procedures that made me feel annoyed; not hateful toward my doctors, just annoyed!  One big example: Whenever I went to the eye doctor, there was this one procedure that just wastes everyone's time during an other-wise perfectly, regular check-up: the eye-cleaning machine!

You see, I was supposed to stare into a machine with a picture of a hot-air balloon long enough for the machine to automatically align itself with my eye and harmlessly puff some air into it! Unfortunately, if I so much as twitch, the machine loses its focus and has to spend another minute just to reset and retry again. As a result, what should have just taken a minute per eye to get over with ends up taking 30 minutes instead 2 minutes total! I tried my darnest to stay still, but due to my sensitive eyes and maybe poor motor skills, it's so easy to muck up! Because of this, I kept losing my self-confidence every time the machine restarted, like there's something wrong with me! It's the one thing I hated about seeing the eye doctor; not the doctor himself, just the machine! Everything else at the eye doctor was no fuss at all!

You know what, Mesme? I kinda wish that you, with your beautiful, regular (even without hypnosis), green eyes, were in that picture instead of the hot-air balloon all those times in my childhood visits to the eye doctor. I'm willing to bet if you'd existed as a picture back then, your eyes would have kept me still long enough for the machine to do its job. No hypnosis required at all! Would have saved me and my doctors a lot of time and trouble! I really do wish it was like that back then!

591661a1731db_Dr.MesmeRize.thumb.png.ae285b0523042ab866cb199639f312a9.png

5 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

I was pretty much getting used to it and i was always fascinated with the instruments that the doctor had (especially the stethoscope) and he always gave some sweets at the end. Only thing i didn't like was getting a shot, but even that i got used to.

"Fascinated with the stethoscope" eh? A device used to listen to a patient's heart, right? Now, I can see why and how you became a heartbeat lover. Didn't you say in a status post several months ago the medical term for a person obsessed with the sound of heartbeats? (I'm having a hard time finding the term again)

Now while I still hated the shots that I needed to be given throughout my childhood, never once did I ever tell the doctor, "I HATE YOU"

Simply put, I loved my doctors just doing their job, even as a kid. It's just one fickle machine that I had to deal with on my regular eye-check visits that I couldn't stand.

Mesme, thank you for the topic. The majority of those who posted before me seem to hate their visits, but I don't!

16 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

@Mesme Rize

Actually, I would like to add something:

As a kid, I NEVER actually hated going to see my doctors, per se. Between my eye doctor, dentist, medication doctor, and even the hospital that did surgery on my legs in 6th grade, I'd never hated any of them at all! I love them for all the help they've given me.

However, there were some procedures that made me feel annoyed; not hateful toward my doctors, just annoyed!  One big example: Whenever I went to the eye doctor, there was this one procedure that just wastes everyone's time during an other-wise perfectly, regular check-up: the eye-cleaning machine!

You see, I was supposed to stare into a machine with a picture of a hot-air balloon long enough for the machine to automatically align itself with my eye and harmlessly puff some air into it! Unfortunately, if I so much as twitch, the machine loses its focus and has to spend another minute just to reset and retry again. As a result, what should have just taken a minute per eye to get over with ends up taking 30 minutes instead 2 minutes total! I tried my darnest to stay still, but due to my sensitive eyes and maybe poor motor skills, it's so easy to muck up! Because of this, I kept losing my self-confidence every time the machine restarted, like there's something wrong with me! It's the one thing I hated about seeing the eye doctor; not the doctor himself, just the machine! Everything else at the eye doctor was no fuss at all!

You know what, Mesme? I kinda wish that you, with your beautiful, regular (even without hypnosis), green eyes, were in that picture instead of the hot-air balloon all those times in my childhood visits to the eye doctor. I'm willing to bet if you'd existed as a picture back then, your eyes would have kept me still long enough for the machine to do its job. No hypnosis required at all! Would have saved me and my doctors a lot of time and trouble! I really do wish it was like that back then!

591661a1731db_Dr.MesmeRize.thumb.png.ae285b0523042ab866cb199639f312a9.png

"Fascinated with the stethoscope" eh? A device used to listen to a patient's heart, right? Now, I can see why and how you became a heartbeat lover. Didn't you say in a status post several months ago the medical term for a person obsessed with the sound of heartbeats? (I'm having a hard time finding the term again)

Now while I still hated the shots that I needed to be given throughout my childhood, never once did I ever tell the doctor, "I HATE YOU"

Simply put, I loved my doctors just doing their job, even as a kid. It's just one fickle machine that I had to deal with on my regular eye-check visits that I couldn't stand.

Mesme, thank you for the topic. The majority of those who posted before me seem to hate their visits, but I don't!

Very interesting Wiiguy and thank you for that compliment, makes me really feelsy i must say. :adorkable:

Yeah, pretty much what mesme has on his neck in the pic, which i also have myself. It's called being a cardiophile, which is a term used for heartbeat lovers.

And don't mention it. I have a giant respect for doctors for what they do everyday and i am just curious how others think about them. :)

• Brohoof 1

Usually I associate going to the doctor with something negative. I probably didn't dislike the doctor as much when I was younger as I do now. When I was little I guess I just enjoyed the attention and looked at it all with more childlike interest. I thought the reflex mallet was funny and I liked playing with the stethoscope. Now I hate going to the doctor and deal with it in a far less childlike way and more of a childish way, usually fussing, fidgeting (swearing) and wanting to go home. :pout:

• Brohoof 1

Nope. I still don't. I guess it's because I got a lot of shots early on and hated that and going to the doctors is bringing those memories up. Paranoia and anxiety sucks. I also don't like the smell of hospitals, at least in the ones I've been at. It generally smells like a mixture of medicine (which I hate taking,) vomit (which I hate doing,) and some other stuff that I don't know the identity of. There's also the fact that people usually go to the doctor's if there's something wrong with them, and I don't like it when something's wrong with me. I don't like check ups, either. I guess I'm afraid of the possibility of them saying something like "by the way, you've got some rare incurable disease like fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva or something. Sucks for you, dude."

I was in the hospital a lot as a kid due to a sickness I won't mention. Things are better now, but I developed a deep-seated fear and hatred of hospitals and their employees. As stupid as it sounds, the sanitary, "clean" feeling in the hospital is something that still sickens me because of what it reminds me of. It didn't help that there were hateful nurses who hated their jobs and made me out to look like a bad kid. The same hospital is still running, and I would rather drive 50 miles away than go to the one I just mentioned. The doctor also poked and prodded me with needles during pretty much every visit, which I can do perfectly fine now.

In short, hell no. I still don't like going to see them. Even for check-ups.