Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there any hope for EQG's characters?

ManaMinori

I could tolerate the EQG characters being the same stereotypes as their pony counterparts- Sci Twi being a studious bookworm, Rarity being a fashionista, Rainbow Dash being brash, arrogant, crude, and competitive…but it seems like they are nothing more than clones of their pony counterparts, from their looks to their likes and dislikes. How exactly does human Rainbow Dash know Daring Do?

Does it seem like the most characterization we’ll get from these girls is the exact same characterization we’ve seen from the FiM counterparts? Can we really expect no differences at all? Would the EQG series have been better if the girls weren’t the exact same characters as their pony dopplegangers? (Rarity can still keep her colors, but be sporting a buzzcut/ mowhawk and be a fan of pro wrestling, or something, and be dedicated to the more punk or gothic fashion styles, for example)

(edited)

I assume that Daring Do-books exist in the human world as well. Of couse that does not explain why the girls are (apparently) allowed to visit the movie set..Maybe Rainbow Dash won some fan contest?

But to be honest,it does annoy me that the characters are so much like their pony counterparts. After all it is an alternate universe, so some more differences would be nice...    But I guess they do not do it because they do not want to confuse the childeren/viewers who also watch the show. ._.

Edited by Aya. K.
  • Brohoof 1

I would like for them to take some inspiration from the X-Men when it comes to these characters.  

Example: There are characters who have an extreme prejudice towards Canterlot High and Crystal Prep over their magical powers similar to people in the X-Men having an extreme prejudice towards Mutants for who they are.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

How exactly does human Rainbow Dash know Daring Do?

Because of reasons. The short isn't even out yet. Maybe she won a contest.

Anyways, I'm apparently alone in this, but the parallels to FiM are exactly what interests me about these movies. It's what sets them apart. It's fun to see stuff we know from Equestria in a different form, and that applies to the characters as well. Giving them magical powers is wrong. Giving them wildly different personalities like with SciTwi is wrong. Why am I watching this and not anything else which does the same things better? Because I know these characters and want to see them reimagined. It's official fanfiction, and to me that's the entire appeal.

• Brohoof 1

Being frank, I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with how the characters in Equestria Girls are presented. The Equestria Girls franchise was created to give us something that the main series could not and I think that they have definitely succeeded in that regard, as the world and it's more modern or perhaps vulnerable format gives way to a variety of how this world, that parrelels our own in many regards, copes with the ever-growing threat of magic, entering their dimension through a group of whimsical exploits ( ei. the broken portal inside the statue ). The purpose of the human-world equivalents of the mane 6 is not to differentiate from their originals in personality or direction but rather to make way to a direct comparison between the two worlds, one being a medieval-esque land full of the magical charm that you usually witness in these sorts of locations ( particuarly in story books ) and the other being a modern world with cars, electricity, all of the technology that we have access to in our world and, most importantly NO magic ( and while I do appreciate that there is more technology in Equestria than there is perhaps in other, more traditional fantasy worlds like it, particuarly in Manehattan, it is usually kept to a minimum ). The whole point of having these two worlds side by side is to show how one of them will react when the other's supernatural issues begin to leak into it's lands and begin wreaking havoc. It's similar to something such as The Wizard of Oz or Enchanted. The format would not work if all of the human versions of the mane 6 broke out their previously established personalities so abruptly and so suddenly. The worlds are SUPPOSED to have the same characters with the same respective personas and the dynamics that they have with each other, except without the magical aspect taking the main focus. This allows us to see how they fare against each other, how they each cope with what problems that they are given and what each of them can achieve on their own. This often leads to a lot of " This is  similar to " or " This reminds me of " moments which I seriously enjoy whenever they happen to occur.

I think what I'm attempting to articulate to all of you, is that the creators and the writers of the show were not trying to create a new and different beast when they created the Equestria Girls series but rather the same beast, with a brand new and redone appearance. To show their fans " Hey, we can pull off this formula without having to resort to magic all the time. We can make a series that is just as interesting and as compelling without all of that ", which to me is a great aim to strive for, and with every new Equestria Girls movie getting better and better in terms of writing, story and plot, I cannot wait to see what the series has in store for us next.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/12/2017 at 6:57 PM, Aya. K. said:

I assume that Daring Do-books exist in the human world as well. Of couse that does not explain why the girls are (apparently) allowed to visit the movie set..Maybe Rainbow Dash won some fan contest?

But to be honest,it does annoy me that the characters are so much like their pony counterparts. After all it is an alternate universe, so some more differences would be nice...    But I guess they do not do it because they do not want to confuse the childeren/viewers who also watch the show. ._.

I would most certainly hope they explain it. But then again, they haven't really explained a lot of things in the human world, like what happened to Starswirl after he banished the sirens there, why the sirens don't appear to have aged, if their necklaces are jewelry or a part of them, if the magic seeping into the human world from Equestria will start pulling their two worlds together, like in the reflections; arc of the IDW comics, where human Sunny is.....

Eh, I'll take the mane six acting as clones of their normal selves over the mane six not being utilized at all well in the pony realm. At least AJ feels more like herself in the last special than she did in honest apple >.<

On that note, I actually think Human twilight behaves notably different (in a good way) than her pony self, in that she's way less self assured, has a FAR larger emphasis on her nerdiness (I can help you find the library! being a good line), and being relegated to smart girl role than Leader role.

I kind of wish they did more stuff like that with the others to flesh them out as being more unique, but I'll take just decent characterization of each.

• Brohoof 1

They were supposed to be just like their pony counterparts so that the plot of the first Equestria Girls movie would have Twilight form friendships with alternate versions of those she has come to know. There are some slight differences though these are difficult to see sometimes unless you looked really hard. Granted, Sci-Twi is different in that she didn't embrace the new changes in her life straight away and tried so hard to keep it all bottled up. She's also more of a bookworm than Her Highness and isn't a leader like Sunset turned out to be.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/12/2017 at 7:10 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Pretty much made a thread asking the same thing. 

but of course, Sci Twi is also an alicorn, because plot convenience. -insert eyeroll here-

On 5/16/2017 at 10:29 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

They were supposed to be just like their pony counterparts so that the plot of the first Equestria Girls movie would have Twilight form friendships with alternate versions of those she has come to know. There are some slight differences though these are difficult to see sometimes unless you looked really hard. Granted, Sci-Twi is different in that she didn't embrace the new changes in her life straight away and tried so hard to keep it all bottled up. She's also more of a bookworm than Her Highness and isn't a leader like Sunset turned out to be.

Sci Twi is an alicorn. all personality changes and accomplishments (or lack thereof) don't matter, apparrently

They're perfectly fine the way they are. They are alternate versions of the same beings as in the pony Equestria. The point of EQG is NOT to use different characters, if they wanted to do that they wouldn't use the same characters we know and love as FiM. They use the same characters and personalities so we can see how the characters relate to and interact with a completely new setting. I think you're missing the point of what EQG is. It doesn't need to write the characters any different. That'd be a disservice to the precious MLP characters. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

They're fine. Really they're more or less the mane 6 in an alternate world, with Twilight being the only one who feels significantly different from the pony version

If they were different people would bitch and moan about how they're different. If they used different characters, then using the pony universe would be a complete waste, they might as well make a new franchise at that point

Edited by Whompy Whomperson

Meh, I think they are fine enough as they are right now.

And to be honest, I think there's more hope for human Applejack than pony Applejack at this point in time to develop as a character.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎24 at 4:50 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

Sci Twi is an alicorn. all personality changes and accomplishments (or lack thereof) don't matter, apparrently

That is something I have to question--Sci-Twi being an alicorn--because it makes no sense at all.

On 5/24/2017 at 7:24 PM, Whompy Whomperson said:

They're fine. Really they're more or less the mane 6 in an alternate world, with Twilight being the only one who feels significantly different from the pony version

If they were different people would bitch and moan about how they're different. If they used different characters, then using the pony universe would be a complete waste, they might as well make a new franchise at that point

Eqg is its own franchise,  but with the characters being literal carbon copies of FiM's, it may as well just be a spinoff. The AU isn't really 'alternate', when everthing is just FiM in every way, but with humans

I personnally don't see it as an "Alternate Universe" as in another universe, but more like an "Adaptation" to another kind of universe.

I think that the EQG multiverse is a fusion of two different kinds of multiiverses: the MLP one, and you guessed it, our own. Yep; I don't think the EQG multiverse is supposed to be our own because, hell, too much differences. I think that at some point, the MLP and the human multiverses kind of "touched", giving birth to another multiverse, and that is the EQG one.

So having the same characters doesn't really surprise me actually; not saying it pleases me, just doesn't surprise me.

• Brohoof 1

I've only seen the first 3 EQG movies, and the Humane 5 have done very little overall. The only way to fix that is to make them more important to the overall story and not just act as Twilight or Sunset's friends.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 0:19 PM, Number62 said:

I've only seen the first 3 EQG movies, and the Humane 5 have done very little overall. The only way to fix that is to make them more important to the overall story and not just act as Twilight or Sunset's friends.

at this point, I feel like they'll just continue to be carbon copies of the pony counterparts. No real differences in interests or personalities to tell them apart.

On 6/14/2017 at 4:45 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

at this point, I feel like they'll just continue to be carbon copies of the pony counterparts. No real differences in interests or personalities to tell them apart.

The franchise has to attract viewers of MLP:FIM somehow, so familiar characters is one way to do it. Shame the familiar characters haven't done much else, but that's because the movies don't give much attention to them.

I haven't seen the specials yet, but with the previous outings I'm still of the opinion that the EqG universe isn't actually a full universe. I'm suspicious that accessing it via a mirror is a telling point. That it's a 'parasitic' universe that is dependent on the main FiM universe; it's *forced* to reflect the events and characters of the FiM universe through a lens set up when the mirror was created, and that the only things that are 'real' in there are the creatures that enter it via the mirror. Basically Sunset and the Sirens are real (and Twilight & Spike when they go in) and everything else, including the human AJ, RD, FS, etc. exist only as reflections. Any deviations from the FiM characters is because of Sunset/Sirens/Twilight/Spike's influence on them, or because the reflection is distorted in a specific way (like a funhouse mirror).

A more modern way of looking at it is that the universe is a simulation set up by Starswirl as a prison for the Sirens. It was never meant to be a complete universe to begin with and it has a default setting of 'reflect the current events of FiM' to keep it going.

• Brohoof 4

11 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

I haven't seen the specials yet, but with the previous outings I'm still of the opinion that the EqG universe isn't actually a full universe. I'm suspicious that accessing it via a mirror is a telling point. That it's a 'parasitic' universe that is dependent on the main FiM universe; it's *forced* to reflect the events and characters of the FiM universe through a lens set up when the mirror was created, and that the only things that are 'real' in there are the creatures that enter it via the mirror. Basically Sunset and the Sirens are real (and Twilight & Spike when they go in) and everything else, including the human AJ, RD, FS, etc. exist only as reflections. Any deviations from the FiM characters is because of Sunset/Sirens/Twilight/Spike's influence on them, or because the reflection is distorted in a specific way (like a funhouse mirror).

A more modern way of looking at it is that the universe is a simulation set up by Starswirl as a prison for the Sirens. It was never meant to be a complete universe to begin with and it has a default setting of 'reflect the current events of FiM' to keep it going.

I was briefly reminded of the basic physics definition of virtual and real images. Except I replaced image with universe and light with magic ... and voila. This is an interesting theory! Can a virtual world become a real world? 

7 hours ago, Jeric said:

I was briefly reminded of the basic physics definition of virtual and real images. Except I replaced image with universe and light with magic ... and voila. This is an interesting theory! Can a virtual world become a real world? 

It can. Pinkie Pie brought back from "Maretropolis" some cupcakes ("Power Ponies" [S4E06]).