Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hard to Say Anything  

147 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• *cringes* NNNNNOPE! ("I hate it!" >__<)
    • Eenope. ("I dislike it.")
    • *crickets chirping* ("…meh")
    • Eeyup. ("I like it!")
    • "It's MY cuddly-wuddly boopsie-woopsie pumpkin pie." ("I LOVE IT" <3)

This episode would've worked much better if not written in such a clichéd fashion and not have the characters be out-of-character dumbasses.

Hell, this ep missed an opportunity: Starlight would've worked given her history of being the town's governor.

• Brohoof 4

12 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Apparently monumental since I have seen real topics from real people to this day that could put BMs "cringey" attempts to shame.

Apparently the easiest ways are the most difficult of all.

Yeah. I would actually have had no issues with an awkward Big Mac trying and failing to work up the courage to ask her out. 

What would have been hilarious and kinda cool is if at the end Sugar Belle asked him! I would have smiled ear to ear if they went in that direction. 

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Mesme Rize said:

You mean like you do for Starlight Glimmer? ;)

hey- Starlight has shown REPEATEDLY that she's still stuck in her old ways of mind control and cutie mark altering- even after the fact that she "learned" that she can't use magic as a quick solution, in To Where and Back again. she still does it. What don't you understand about that?

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

This episode would've worked much better if not written in such a clichéd fashion and not have the characters be out-of-character dumbasses.

Hell, this ep missed an opportunity: Starlight would've worked given her history of being the town's governor.

Haven't you ever heard the phrase "love makes you do crazy things"?

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

They should have dropped the CMC and had Starlight in that support role instead. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Nightmare Muffin said:

hey- Starlight has shown REPEATEDLY that she's still stuck in her old ways of mind control and cutie mark altering- even after the fact that she "learned" that she can't use magic as a quick solution, in To Where and Back again. she still does it. What don't you understand about that?

Why should i talk about this again? Lots of people here (including me) gave their reasons why they like her, but you just seem to fall on deaf ears and just repeat the same stuff. Is it because of sunset shimmer? Because i think it is. :P

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Doesn't change how they should've known better, ESPECIALLY Big Mac and the CMCs. Neither of them are idiots, and the CMCs aren't Show Stoppers generic anymore.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

She never learned that. That isn't a good moral by itself anyway. Magic is a tool that should be used to solve problem. Application and motivation is the key. Also, your Sunset jealousy is showing just a tad again. 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

They should have dropped the CMC and had Starlight in that support role instead. 

Would definitely work. Have Starlight and Sugar Belle talk to each other, which would show Starlight's development along with the repairing of trust between the two.

Or, why not have Starlight and the CMCs plan to have them rendezvous for a night out?

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

25 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I feel like Season 7 has been kind of up and down. It has good episodes like Celestial Advice, Rock Solid Friendship, Parental Glideance, All Bottled Up and Flurry of Emotions. But it also has episodes like Fluttershy Leans In, Forever Filly, and Hard to Say Anything.

I disagree, I've found S7 to be great so far, even up to this point  the lowest I had was a 7 for Forever Filly, which I still thought was very solid. imo, this episode is only a first stinker, and even then it's not AJ's Day off or 28 Pranks Later levels of shit

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 4

3 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

Why should i talk about this again? Lots of people here (including me) gave their reasons why they like her, but you just seem to fall on deaf ears and just repeat the same stuff. Is it because of sunset shimmer? Because i think it is. :P

don't bring Shimmy into this. Its not even about her. Starlight's character is a bad one. She Doesn't learn, and its grating. She's not progressing as a character. Bottom line.

Thank you for derailing the topic, by the way, and bringing up a completely unrelated subject that what the episode itself focuses on.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

*Raising hoof

Been in love. Been married. I can speak a little to this. Yes some judgment gets resistance from your emotional connection, but not to that degree - as I've mentioned previously. 

• Brohoof 3

My early thoughts: Nice to see Starlight's old village being used for stories again! Nice pairing too. Very cute. Did Sugar Belle get a new VA? Eh, close enough. Loved that Mac got a decent speaking role and EVEN A SONG! The other male pony with the hots for Sugar Belle reminded me so much of Justin Bieber. Moral was predicable but good.  Didn't hold my attention much in the middle either. 

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

don't bring Shimmy into this. Its not even about her. Starlight's character is a bad one. She Doesn't learn, and its grating. She's not progressing as a character. Bottom line.

Thank you for derailing the topic, by the way, and bringing up a completely unrelated subject that what the episode itself focuses on.

Hey, it wouldn't have derailed if you didn't answer and i can totally see that you're angry for me bringing up shimmer, because i am right, otherwise you wouldn't be so angry.

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

Yeah. I would actually have had no issues with an awkward Big Mac trying and failing to work up the courage to ask her out. 

What would have been hilarious and kinda cool is if at the end Sugar Belle asked him! I would have smiled ear to ear if they went in that direction. 

I am pretty much in the same boat... the way they wrote the episode is a plot line from cartoons and films before i was born, and with the audiences having matured over the last few decades and the show having repeatedly shown it can handle things in a way that does not always fall upon tired gags to do so, you would have thought they would have went a different route than this trope. They could have easily kept him shy and the CMCs giving him bad advice and him mucking things up without turning into the stereotypical guy vs. guy fight for a woman's affection as if she was a prize ham at the end of a boxing match. It was not as degrading as some shows have done, but it was still dull, unoriginal and borderline nauseous.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

I disagree, I've found S7 to be great so far, even up to this point  the lowest I had was a 7 for Forever Filly, which I still thought was very solid. imo, this episode is only a first stinker

Agreed. Every season has at least one or two bad episodes. This was likely an exception. Still very confident in the quality of the show going forward. 

• Brohoof 6

24 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Agreed. Every season has at least one or two bad episodes. This was likely an exception. Still very confident in the quality of the show going forward. 

If they can keep the bad episodes to a minimum and really pump forward great episodes (one isn't enough), then S7 can really compete with season one or two.

Still early, though. There's a lot of time left.

• Brohoof 4

After the posts on this so far, I have to say the episode lives up to its title not just because Big Mac finds it hard to say anything, but that it's also very tough for those of us who want to enjoy it, but end up saying, "It's hard to say anything nice about this episode!"

• Brohoof 9

2 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

"It's hard to say anything nice about this episode!"

I know what you mean. 

I do like Sugar Belle and Big Mac being together as a canon couple. The series benefits from some movement in that direction. 

As others said Cheerilee would have gotten a bigger reaction from me. 

Now, during Perfect Pear, I really want to see Sugar Belle present hearing whatever love story that will be recounted. That would reinforce them as a couple and could lead to a cute exchange or two. 

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Apparently monumental since I have seen real topics from real people to this day that could put BMs "cringey" attempts to shame.

Apparently the easiest ways are the most difficult of all.

The world is teeming with idiots eh, but that is beside the point. The sentence you have quoted throws dirt at Sugar not BM. They have both acted like idiots in an unsatisfying way. No clever humor, no meaningful story, no great lesson for all those real people. Thank gods for Treehouse. These brave Canadians are the true heroes of S07.

>they follow Sugar Belle to where she sleeps on the hammock

>use the Sleeping Beauty/Snow White reference

Shrek does this joke right.

This shitty moment doesn't.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
2 hours ago, Smooya said:

Bruh what? Feather bangs isn't Big Mac's romantic ship xD

He's the comedic relief that never gets laid.

Actually, by that logic, he's perfect for Cheerilee...

Edited by The Nth Doctor

I honestly thought that Feather Bangs would be a female and that there would be a battle between them and Sugar Belle for the affection of Big Mac, but it turns out that I was completely wrong and Feather Bangs turned out to be a Justin Timberlake/Justin Bieber styled character. I've got to give credit to Vincent Tong for voicing Feather Bangs--I didn't know he could do that kind of range--and of course Rebecca Shoichet for voicing Sugar Belle and being part of the episode as opposed to just a singer which is what she usually does. I must admit that the episode did not turn out the way I thought it would though I am satisfied with what we ended up getting.

I did like the obvious references to Hearts and Hooves Day including Big Mac's extreme dislike of love potions--I had a feeling he wouldn't forget about that--and the CMC did try their very best through legitimate but also ridiculous schemes though all Big Mac needed to do was rely on something he knew would work. At least he was positive about each plan despite regretting it shortly after agreeing to it. We also learned that fairy tales don't always work out in the end. Is this my favourite episode? Not really as there were some shortcomings such as the song--it sounded more like a farce or meant to be performed as a joke--not explaining certain things like how Big Mac suddenly wanted to go to the village, where Feather Bangs came from, the romance angle and resolution being easy to spot from a mile away, etc.

Yes, I enjoyed it but perhaps it could have done with some improvements to make it better.