Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

Honest Apple  

137 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• "I HATE IT, RARITY!" "Well, Applejack, I HATE IT MORE!" *bickers for five minutes*
    • Rarity: "My uniform idea from Rainbow Falls is better." ("I dislike it.")
    • "Meh. AJ's hat's cute, but it needs some more…pizzazz." ("It's okay.")
    • "As fabulous as a Roundup Ribbon Sweep!" ("I like it!")
    • AJ: *is as much in awe as listening to Coloratura sing*

53 minutes ago, Trixie . said:

I'll do that, got nothing else to do....so I guess I'll watch 2 characters which I don't really like. May end up liking them...

I don't like some characters, either, but even when they're there, I always give the episode a watch. Why? Because it's fair and the right thing to do. I'm not gonna penalize the show because I dislike some characters (and in response to a post in another thread, you're really missing out of the fun by skipping a lot of Mane Eight episodes.) I recommend watching it with an open mind.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I don't like some characters, either, but even when they're there, I always give the episode a watch. Why? Because it's fair and the right thing to do. I'm not gonna penalize the show because I dislike some characters (and in response to a post in another thread, you're really missing out of the fun by skipping a lot of Mane Eight episodes.) I recommend watching it with an open mind.

Watched the episode. It was a 6/10 for me. I see your point, I'll have to watch some when I have the time.

• Brohoof 2

35 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Fashion is ludicrous since it is a dysfunctional and completely self-serving art for rich folk.

Please elaborate on how fashion is dysfunctional. If I wear a dress shirt, it serves a function as clothing no matter the designer or stitching. Because it's tailored well and branded with a big name does not remove it's functionality. 

Also, fashion crosses socio economic lines, so I don't know what you mean by that. 

I'm biased as all hell with the rating I gave it and it may go down a rating later on. It's Rarity and when they write her well I enjoy the hell out of the episode. I also think that yesterday's episode may be influencing me here a little. A good episode following a bad episode is usually going to seem a bit better. 

Right now I loved it and rated it a 5/5, but I did have a few nits to pick as I mentioned. Probably will settle to a 4/5 when the initial character bias effect leaves. 

Now to find Rarity guitar screenshot!

• Brohoof 5

25 minutes ago, A.V. said:

*Is still waiting for a YouTube upload.*

Y U so slow 2day, uploader ppl?

YouTube version ain't up yet, but DailyMotion is.

That multiple "What?!" gag right before the theme song is my first laugh of the episode! (gotta be quiet, though; my brother's asleep right now)

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Spike being a creeper needs to not be a thing.

I haven't seen the whole episode, but when I saw Rarity and Spike together in the video poster image I had to watch the first 20 seconds.

And boy oh boy that was the same vibe I got with their conversation:

Rarity: I'm so lucky you happened to be just walking by the boutique!

Spike: <nervous laughter> Yeah, just lucky to happened to be walking past...

I'm not against it, however, if it's a means to and end. That is, the show is doing this as some sort of build-up to having the issue of his obsession forced out into the daylight. And it is an obsession now and not just a crush anymore - it was already apparent he'd raised it to the next level in "Dungeons and Discords"

I mean, who has a crush that spans at least 3 Hearthswarming Eves? The crushes I had as a kid were lucky to last a few months. XD

Of course now I have this image seared into my head of Spike hiding in the bushes like some Peeping Tom.

I guess a Spikism is an appropriate way for me to close:

"Dude, that's just creepy..."

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Mesme Rize said:

I really liked this episode. Not just because of the message (which several bronies need to take to heart) but because i know how Applejack feels. AJ and i are very practical when it comes to fashion, because we don't really consider it an art form, like music, movies or paintings. All we see in clothing are necessities of everyday life. If it's raining outside, i grab my jacket, if it's not then i don't. I don't need a fancy Jacket that is 1000 bucks worth, considering barely anybody will give a shit.

Being only about 4 minutes in, I haven't finished watching the episode yet, but I agree with Mesme here about not caring how fashionable my clothes are. As long they keep warm during the winter, cool during the summer, and carry my everyday pocket items (keys, wallet, phone, etc.) I don't really care what I wear! 

Of course, I will dress in nicer clothes when doing more professional stuff like job interviews. 

If I could sum up the conflict of this episode using tropes, I'd say it's "Awesome, but Impractical" vs."Boring, but Practical" , and maybe "Simple, but Awesome" might be brought up here! 

Well, back to the show!

Cool! Hoity Toity and Photo Finish have finally spoken since Season 1!

Hey! I think this is the first time we've seen Photo Finish's eyes behind those shades: Purple!

• Brohoof 1

The moral I found in this episode resonates with me strongly. And that moral is essentially "don't make your criticism destructive, and respect others' opinions". The reason for that is because I've myself encountered quite a few people on the internet who fight over differing opinions which I find rather ridiculous. Another reason is that I've also seen some people dismiss another's hard work over some "flaw" they themselves found; this includes myself, and it hurt me a lot.

7/10

• Brohoof 1

Whoa! Since when did Rarity learn to play a guitar like a rock star playing to get their bottled up aggression out in a healthy way?!

• Brohoof 4

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

Whoa! Since when did Rarity learn to play a guitar like a rock star playing to get their bottled up aggression out in a healthy way?!

It's proven that music brings out your deepest emotions. :P

• Brohoof 3

14 minutes ago, Truffles said:

I haven't seen the whole episode, but when I saw Rarity and Spike together in the video poster image I had to watch the first 20 seconds.

And boy oh boy that was the same vibe I got with their conversation:

Rarity: I'm so lucky you happened to be just walking by the boutique!

Spike: <nervous laughter> Yeah, just lucky to happened to be walking past...

I'm not against it, however, if it's a means to and end. That is, the show is doing this as some sort of build-up to having the issue of his obsession forced out into the daylight. And it is an obsession now and not just a crush anymore - it was already apparent he'd raised it to the next level in "Dungeons and Discords"

I mean, who has a crush that spans at least 3 Hearthswarming Eves? The crushes I had as a kid were lucky to last a few months. XD

Of course now I have this image seared into my head of Spike hiding in the bushes like some Peeping Tom.

I guess a Spikism is an appropriate way for me to close:

"Dude, that's just creepy..."

I dunno, I didn't really get the impression he was like...Spying on her or anything? When he said that I imagined he might have been coming to visit, but Rarity just assumed he happened to be passing by, and maybe he got nervous about it since he might have realized he visits a bit too much or something. Didn't seem very creepy to me.

• Brohoof 1

Oh man, Big Mac's face when AJ talks about judging the contest. As nice and gentlecoltly as he is (Hard To Say Anything was a fluke) between Apple Bloom Granny AJ and now him, sass definitely runs in the Apple family.

• Brohoof 1

Heh! the strawberries vs. apples thing was a nice way of showing how different people have different tastes! Personally, these are the 5 fruits I love to eat from best to good, but not the best: Strawberries, grapes, apples, oranges, bananas. 

Heck, I find Spinach disgusting, but adore broccoli! Even though I hate spinach, I cheer every time Popeye uses it to give himself a boost to knock the living daylights out of the bad guy!

• Brohoof 1

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

Heh! the strawberries vs. apples thing was a nice way of showing how different people have different tastes! Personally, these are the 5 fruits I love to eat from best to good, but not the best: Strawberries, grapes, apples, oranges, bananas. 

Heck, I find Spinach disgusting, but adore broccoli! Even though I hate spinach, I cheer every time Popeye uses it to give himself a boost to knock the living daylights out of the bad guy!

Personally, the only vegetable I dislike is celery -- tastes like printer-ink, IMO.

• Brohoof 1

I found the episode OK. Some parts of it were really good, but it was pretty hard to focus on, so I'll probably wait to give an honest opinion. I did think rarity jaming out on the guitar and bowling Pinkie over was pretty funny.

Oh, and Inky Rose new most awesome pony.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, RareBase said:

I dunno, I didn't really get the impression he was like...Spying on her or anything? When he said that I imagined he might have been coming to visit, but Rarity just assumed he happened to be passing by, and maybe he got nervous about it since he might have realized he visits a bit too much or something. Didn't seem very creepy to me.

The way he blushed so hard and how uneasy he was during his answer seemed like he was embarrassed. There's nothing really to worry oneself over if it was just a visit and he was thinking he might be seeing her too much.

I guess I pictured the scene before would have gone something like Rarity catching him trying to look into the boutique window from the edge of the front porch, causing him to jump out of his skin. That's when he came up with the excuse that he just "happened to be walking by" before she asked for help carrying the promotional material.

Near the end when A.J. lassoed the contestants to apologize to them about being too brutally honest, they accepted her apology on the condition that she unties them! :lol:

4 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Personally, the only vegetable I dislike is celery -- tastes like printer-ink, IMO.

Hmm...I can respect that! Celery is my 3rd favorite vegetable after carrots (regular or baby) and broccoli!

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Truffles said:

The way he blushed so hard and how uneasy he was during his answer seemed like he was embarrassed. There's nothing really to worry oneself over if it was just a visit and he was thinking he might be seeing her too much.

I guess I pictured the scene before would have gone something like Rarity catching him trying to look into the boutique window from the edge of the front porch, causing him to jump out of his skin. That's when he came up with the excuse that he just "happened to be walking by" before she asked for help carrying the promotional material.

I don't know, visiting someone too much is the exact kind of thing I might get embarrassed about if it was an issue, especially if it was someone I had a crush on. If I felt I was annoying them and seeming clingy by coming to visit so often it'd make me react pretty similarly, so trying to play it off as just "Passing by" makes sense.

I could see Spike maybe stopping by to glance in the boutique like that, but the way people are saying it came off as creepy makes me imagine they think he was like...staring into the window and just spying, which I'd rather not jump to an assumption like that about Spike.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, RareBase said:

I don't know, visiting someone too much is the exact kind of thing I might get embarrassed about if it was an issue, especially if it was someone I had a crush on. If I felt I was annoying them and seeming clingy by coming to visit so often it'd make me react pretty similarly, so trying to play it off as just "Passing by" makes sense.

I could see Spike maybe stopping by to glance in the boutique like that, but the way people are saying it came off as creepy makes me imagine they think he was like...staring into the window and just spying, which I'd rather not jump to an assumption like that about Spike.

If it was innocent, then it was bad writing. In fact, no mention was needed there about why Spike happened to be helping Rarity as we have seen that countless times. If it was purposefully placed there, the intent seems to make the audience feel like Spike was caught by an unaware Rarity who assumed different intentions. 

So it's either loose writing or they intended Spike to come across as creepy. Pick your poison I suppose. It didn't harm the episode, but they need to address this in an episode before it starts getting ridiculous. Spike's a great character without this trait. The running gag has outlived it's welcome

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

If it was innocent, then it was bad writing. In fact, no mention was needed there about why Spike happened to be helping Rarity as we have seen that countless times. If it was purposefully placed there, the intent seems to make the audience feel like Spike was caught by an unaware Rarity who assumed different intentions. 

So it's either loose writing or they intended Spike to come across as creepy. Pick your poison I suppose. It didn't harm the episode, but they need to address this in an episode before it starts getting ridiculous. Spike's a great character without this trait. The running gag has outlived it's welcome

That makes sense then, I didn't really think about the writing intent. I just went with it being something more innocent because the idea of Spike doing anything "Creepy" just didn't occur to me at all until it was brought up here. In that case though I'd probably prefer the loose writing, since I don't like to think Spike would outright spy on her.

As for Spike's crush on her, I agree it's probably about time they address it.

• Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, RareBase said:

If it were a new crush, then I agree 100%. But this has been going on for 3+ years in Equestrian time. By now I would expect there to be a good amount of familiarity between the two of them that he wouldn't give a second thought to her thinking he was clingy. Now, if there's been some off-screen pushback by Rarity that we haven't seen, then it makes more sense. But if that's the case, then that's bad writing, IMO, because we have no idea that it happened.

20 minutes ago, RareBase said:

I just don't want Spike to be perfect, that's all. He's shown so much improvement last season that I fear there's nothing he can do wrong without it seeming like a regression to a lesson he's already learned. In fact, I felt he was a little too perfect in "Gauntlet of Fire" and it hurt the episode a bit, even though it was still great overall. Just something to make him not quite a Dudley Do-Right, but still be a stand-up guy in most respects.

Granted, making him into a full-blown stalker is probably too much, but just acknowledging that his obsession with her is unhealthy would make for an interesting lesson and it would be better if it was tackled sooner rather than later. (Though I would submit he crossed the "unhealthy" line when it was revealed back in S5 that in he had a plush toy of her which he sleeps with. That's akin to a person dressing up a Barbie as the girl they like and taking it to bed with them every night. o_o )

• Brohoof 3