Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Regional Accents

StormBlaze

(Merge if thread already exists)

but as I was reading silly UK vs US tumblr posts I had a thought for a thread. 

So most people know that the UK have a range of accents (a lot of stereotyping ones at that), but did you non UK members know that we have a crazy range of accents here in the UK? 

The two sereotyped ones you see in films and TV are the Queen's English where one speaks ever so proper and posh, this is what you will hear a lot in the Counties surrounding London, but not so much in London. The the other main one is the Cockney rough house type one, where the accent sounds like a mobs wanning ta ave a go at ya in the 80s. 

My bf is from the more well spoken areas towards London and Im from the Wet Country where everyone talks like farmers and the accent can be very strong - the movie Hot Fuzz is the most perfect movie to show you what its like living out here. The farmer and the Officer that you cant understand is exactly what we get out here. XP I love it. 

UK members Id love you to show off your accents for the rest of the forum to hear. And non UK and US members, do your countries have different accents as well? 

German here.

Oh god, too many. Like, almost every state in our country has it's own accent. While most germans these days use the normal hochdeutsch (highgerman in english) there are still many people, especially in more smaller and conservative towns, that use accents. Things like Bavarian, Saxon, westphalian, etc.

And it dosen't stop in germany itself. Like Austria has an accent that is very similar to bavarian, but even more extreme. the german part of switzerland has a very extreme accent and the dutch in the netherlands, have a language that is kinda similar to german.

Of course the US has different accents. I lived in Wisconsin and the South. I also lived in Alberta, Canada and I can recognize that accent when I hear it on TV. I don't know how to spell it phonetically, but my "buddy" talks "aboot" being in the "scowts." You don't say it like "boot," you kind of swallow the vowel a little.

• Brohoof 1

I've also noticed some variation in Ireland and also Italy. What makes things even more interesting is for transplants, people from one region who pick up an accent and then move to another area. It can lead to some curious blending given enough time. 

I grew up in Philly, but some of my accent was coached away in private school giving me an ever so slight Southeast PA accent, particularly with vowels. However I've lived in Florida so long it's been muted. Central Florida does have an accent, though it's rather subtle compared to other regions. 

When I go back to Philly, after a few days parts of the accent 'return' which my friends can pick up on my return. 

I speak Brizzl, which for the layman is sort of like city somerset pirate speak. Named for the city of Bristol, but how it's pronounced in such an accent. Though I'm not as brizzl as some I've met.

While at an airport in Japan, I met a member of Air France staff from Brighton. I was so unused to hearing the accent I actually thought he was speaking french to me.... Took me a couple tries to actually understand what he was asking.

Rather embarrassing. Not my finest moment.

• Brohoof 1

I'm from germany.

I live in the northern part of germany, where most words are pronounced as they are written. Meaning: You know how a character sounds or multiple characters (like st or -tion) -> You speak every word after the character rules. Which why the stereotypical german english sounds like it sounds, since you know how the characters sound and then pronounce them together, which often just isn't the case in the english language.

But yes, for instance in the south of germany, people have the bavarian accent, (well, in Bavaria) which is, depending on how strong it is, hard to understand for people like me and often sounds very funny.

On 16.5.2017 at 2:48 PM, Mesme Rize said:

German here.

Ach wirklich? Der große Mesme ist also deutsch. :3c

17 minutes ago, FizzyGreen said:

Ach wirklich? Der große Mesme ist also deutsch. :3c

Oh ja mein Freund. :P

• Brohoof 1

In Spain, there's also a lot of regional accents. In each autonomus community in Spain, there's some differents accents, and in some autonomus communities they have even their own language, for example in Galicia or in Catalonia. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've grown up in Bedfordshire which has the posher accents but also has a weird little thing where we pronounce 'th' exactly the same as 'f' which I didn't even realise I was doing until a couple of years ago, I have to put physical effort into saying it the normal way and it sounds wrong to me, like pronouncing an 's' with a lisp. 

Since I started uni I hear a lot more regional accents now, especially from northerners but because I'm not accustomed to hearing that accent I struggle to understand them sometimes. It's fun to debate what we call things though like a bread roll vs a cob or how we pronounce words like bath or grass etc.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/16/2017 at 7:30 PM, ForthEorl said:

I speak Brizzl, which for the layman is sort of like city somerset pirate speak. Named for the city of Bristol, but how it's pronounced in such an accent. Though I'm not as brizzl as some I've met.

While at an airport in Japan, I met a member of Air France staff from Brighton. I was so unused to hearing the accent I actually thought he was speaking french to me.... Took me a couple tries to actually understand what he was asking.

Rather embarrassing. Not my finest moment.

mate Im a born and bred Tauntonian and im so sorry to say that the Bristol accent isnt one of the nice West Country accents - its also a rare thing imo to meet someone with a real Brizzl accent as its such a mixed city ^^; but awesome that youre so near by though.

The Plymouth Accent is even worse though. Proper Janner accent ick. 

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...