Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sonic Forces Playable, Customizable OC Confirmed

K.Rool Addict

Meh, looks like the same old kind of Sonic game we have seen before. Not necessarily bad or anything, but not really original either. There are already so many bad OCs running around the Sonic universe I am surprised they have not added the option to create your own years ago. That being said, Sonic fans will probably really enjoy it, but it does not look like its going to change the minds of those who have grown to hate it, or never liked it in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know how to feel really. With the huge selection of characters to pick from in the Sonic series, it seems a bit unnecessary.

1 minute ago, BoredAnimeGif said:

I don't know how to feel really. With the huge selection of characters to pick from in the Sonic series, it seems a bit unnecessary.

Agreed.

The "Original the Character" meme associated with Sonic is about to come full circle with this game because of this one feature alone.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Just reminding you all that the 3rd playable character could have been much worse.

Image result for bubsy sonic forces

Playing as Bubsy would've been dope.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

The "Original the Character" meme associated with Sonic is about to come full circle with this game because of this one feature alone.

Well given the state of the Sonic Twitter account being meme central, I guess it was only a matter of time before that translated into the games.

4 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Well given the state of the Sonic Twitter account being meme central, I guess it was only a matter of time before that translated into the games.

I can foresee both good and bad futures regarding this customization in Sonic Forces.

• Brohoof 1

Hey, look! It's another Sonic game.

I am actually all for this feature because I know many fans of the franchise have wanted it for a long while and I, myself have always loved the idea of playing as my personal Sonic OC. I realize that Sonic OCs have a reputation that has been torn apart more than anymother fandom's OCs but I am still liking this idea. If I had the gaming system appropriate for this game, I would purchase it.

• Brohoof 3

I think this is pretty cool honestly. Getting to make your own character is always a fun feature to flex some creative muscles, and it looks like there'd a decent amount of customization options available. Also, yeah, the Sonic fanbase is notorious for it's OC's and the jokes about this basically write themselves. I wish Sonic's other friends were playable too, but no problem with this at all.

I've already seen some people complain about this though, just because "The Sonic fanbase will make stupid OC's with it! The CRINGE!", and to them I say...Who cares? What's it matter if someone else makes a character you think is stupid? If they're enjoying the game, let them enjoy it, and you can make whatever character you want so just make something you like. What they do shouldn't affect you, seriously.

• Brohoof 4

I think the Option to create your own Character is really cool, specially since you can feel special, while your Character helps and is part of the Story.

I mean, we already have character customization in a lot of Games, in racing Games you can change your Cars, paint them or upgrade them, in roleplaying games you create your own character and in games like The Sims.

So i dont see a Problem with that new Function. Yeah sure, a few People hate Ocs or recolors but...there are already tons of these, so this game wouldnt change much. I will definitely play this game at some point.

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

There are already so many bad OCs running around the Sonic universe I am surprised they have not added the option to create your own years ago.

They did

Spoiler

It was called Sonic Dreams collection

21_11_31_458_669701__safe_meme_sonic_the

(edited)
17 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Which was not official.

Indeed

But it was Sega's fault for not capitalizing on the Razorshaft the prego Hedgefox's marketing potential. The sales were right there!

Edited by SONICchaos

(edited)

Great idea from a marketing standpoint, and if it was any franchise other than Sonic it would get more praise. I count myself among the many fans that wanted a feature like this. Of course the jokes are easy to make; they're so easy they became dead to me within hours of the announcement (what Twitter will do to you).

For the skeptics, I get that there's reason to be skeptical because of previous modern Sonic games having relied on gimmicks to cover up shortcomings in game design. But to trash the concept itself is foolish; character customization worked really well for a lot of other game franchises recently and it's about time Sonic caught up with the huge community calling for it. The community's reputation itself is humorous but irrelevant to the concept itself; it would be like saying the Edsel was good because Ford made it even though it was a failure.

As for the execution, it's obviously too early to tell.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

Ok, so I have ruminated over this concept for awhile now. I think I my impressions of this have finally settled. 

Sega is directly appealing to the worst part of the Sonic fanbase in order to secure more buyers. So many DeviantArt frequenters will be ecstatic to see this kind of thing implemented in Sonic Forces, no doubt. While I find the very idea of canon OC's revolting, judging by what the trailer has shown gameplay-wise, it looks like it could actually be quite an interesting hook, if the execution is good. I can't say I am very fond of how the base for these animals look. They just look weird. Doesn't seem to be very much customization, like height, weight, age, etc. But the clothing options look hella in depth. I love how each animal has a different ability like the bird OC's having an extra jump or the bear OC being able to knock several enemies away with each attack. There is definitely potential here.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the level design is extremely lackluster for this 3rd character. I was really hoping for something akin to the Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic/ Shadow stages instead of this Sonic Colors-esque nonsense. Sigh... well, we will see in due time if the game turns out good or not. Until then, we can only wait :o

On 5/16/2017 at 8:29 PM, Venomous said:

Hey, look! It's another Sonic game.

I am actually all for this feature because I know many fans of the franchise have wanted it for a long while and I, myself have always loved the idea of playing as my personal Sonic OC. I realize that Sonic OCs have a reputation that has been torn apart more than anymother fandom's OCs but I am still liking this idea. If I had the gaming system appropriate for this game, I would purchase it.

Actually the way you put this into perspective really changes things :ooh:

I mean what does it matter that system if the game it's self is good

Initially its looking extremely similar to Sonic Generations but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Considering its thought of as the best Sonic game of the last decade its at least a welcome return with hopefully much more expansion. The OC's are something of a weird left turn but I guess Sega said 'fuck it, give em built in mods" since were going to be changing the models anyway.

But since Sonic Generations basically has turned into my favorite 3D sonic game ever essentially another but hopefully with more "fun" is a welcome return than a sudden shift into another genre. I can only assume the next game after this will be a Sonic farming simulator