Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things in media that scared you as a kid.

CastletonSnob

Tell us about things in media that you were afraid of when you were younger, no matter how silly it seems now. It can be anything, like shows, commercials, video games, etc.

I remember I used to be afraid of Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple.

I had to always run out of the room during this commercial because Ronald Mcdonald scared the crap out of me. D:

(edited)

That one channeler in the R/B/Y Pokémon Tower that says: "Give... me... Blood!" At least if I had nightmares about them, I don't remember them O.o

blood1.png

Edited by Squirrel Luigi

Nothing in particular, yet I was fascinated by the fear factor in most forms of media. I remember staring at the darkness of my spacious living room, holding a lighter close to my face. Waiting for a semblant from beyond to meet my eyes in the dwingling light. It taught me so many things about myself.

Used to spend most nights alone, so we became like friends with fear. Such black canvas can stimulate my creativity like nothing else does.

This logo/music bit for United Artists gave me the creeps as a kid, and it featured in one nightmare when I found a skeleton in a closet, and the damn music played in my head. ;_;

Sesame Street..... It always freaked me out as a kid. idk exactly why, but I think its because I realized that they had a lifeless look in their eyes. I would have nightmares of them tormenting me.

Barney as well.

A few moments in various Stephen King films (The Shining and Pet Sematary) led to some crazy nightmares, particularly an elevator scene and Zelda.

However one film rules over than one in many ways. 

b8ae7ed5-2bc9-4368-baa7-3d31bd40e331.jpg

Clown, face peel, tree, and the pool. If you've seen it you know what  that means.

I'm not done. I've always joked that Christopher Walken is the scariest SOB. The truth is that there was someone else that is more nightmare inducing than him. 

Rev. Henry Kane from Poltergeist II: The Other Side.

kane6.jpg

enhanced-32094-1430781179-17.jpg

This scared me so much as a kid! 

I also made the mistake of watching Winnie the Pooh alone in the dark. The after-credits scene of Pooh winking made me dash from the living room to my bed without a second thought. :P 

200w.gif

Even as an adult, I still think it's a bit creepy. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

One of my traumatic childhood experiences were those ice sculptures that resemble Pingu's hallucinations in the episode 'Pingu Runs Away'. Just thinking about it makes me not to go back and watch Pingu.

The other one I remember was that cardboard cutout, googly-eyed lion from Teletubbies. The introduction of it gave me the shivers as a kid.  

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

This logo/music bit for United Artists gave me the creeps as a kid, and it featured in one nightmare when I found a skeleton in a closet, and the damn music played in my head. ;_;

Hm. Would you believe I was considering the effort of pulling a Bow Hothoof and rigging your closet door? 

Also #roomshareideas.

• Brohoof 1

Angelica's fucking brother from the episode "Angelica's Worst Nightmare" gave me nightmares for days.

angelicas-worst-nightmare-rugrats-big-ba

Rugrats had loads of Nightmare Fuel, especially early on, but this was the worst of it

Also, as far as logos go, Snee-Oosh Inc, that'd play at the end of Hey Arnold. Fuck that logo sound

This guy. He is the Crypt Keeper, the host of the original Tales from the Crypt television series.

Tales+from+the+Crypt+Keeper.jpg

I know he doesn't look like much, but in the eyes of 2-3 year old me he was one of the scariest characters to ever haunt my dreams. I'd have nightmares of this guy like nobody's business. Of course, now I love him (corny puns always seem to make me laugh). But back then? He was one of the scariest fictional characters I had the misfortune of knowing about.

His appearance, his eyes, his voice..... his laugh. He scared the hell out of me. And I would RUN OUT of the room whenever I saw this come up on the television screen:

I loved Thomas the Tank Engine, but was sometimes freaked out by the older episodes because Ringo's voice could be quite loud.

Also, I remember going to a live Power Rangers performance when I was about 4 and being terrified when I saw Rita.

ReDeads terrified me as a kid. I was so scared of them that i would do whatever i could to avoid places that had them. They look kind of derpy now, but back in the late 90's? They looked so realistic. That combined with the noises they make, the fact that their bodies don't instantly vanish when you kill them, that they paralyze you and slowly approach you... brr.

Dead Hands were runners up only because they were more uncommon, so you ran into them less. The fact that they grab you with those arms, pull your head up, and then that head of theirs slowly lowers towards your neck to bite it... Remind me: why was this rated E for Everyone?

IMG_3907.GIF

IMG_3908.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of those times when I do have many things that have scared me as a child but now that I should recall some of the things, I suddenly can't remember.

At least there's this creepy theme-kind of thing that played after some of the TV shows I watched and it never failed to unnerve me:

Since I also used to watch Pingu a lot, I obviously came across the disturbing episode 24 where there was the huge walrus in Pingu's nightmare. It somehow was the scariest thing I had ever seen. :blink:
There was also a book that made animal noises when different buttons were pushed. For some reason I developed a fear of the rooster noise in the book and even my mom was wondering why it scared me so bad. One of the reasons was "Its eyes are so dark", as a reference to the rooster's eyes.

(edited)

"Yellow Submarine" the Beatles animated feature, freaked me out when I was little. OMG! The Blue Meanies are horrifying! I mentioned in another thread never watching "Hellraiser" a second time. The same applies to "Yellow Submarine" AKA "Drug Trip Insanity"!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney