Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Royal Problem  

204 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• Starlight: *spits in barf bag* "Did Tirek bake this cake?!" Celestia: "No. Tiberius." Luna: *facehoof* ("I hate it!" >__<)
    • Starlight: "The princess are A Royal Pain." ("I dislike it.")
    • Luna: "Eh. 'Tis not bad. But I've had better moonshine." ("…meh.")
    • Celestia: "It's cause for a celebration! *Starlight, Luna, Tiberius, Philomena join* ("I like it!")
    • Luna: "This is FABULOUS!" Celestia: *whispers to Starlight* "She and Rarity have girls' night out every Friday." ("I LOVE IT" <3)

17 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Definitely. Couldn't help but compare this to the El Goonish fairy avatars, but second thought was "if they can get these into the store for xmas, they are going to make a killing" :D

I have to post this here...If and when they become available, I'm snapping one up!

shut_up.jpg

• Brohoof 1

This is by far my FAVORITE episode of Season 7, Luna and Celestia's relationship and interaction in this episode was fantastic and so well done. Seeing how emotional both were towards their duties and how hard the other one has it was well written and displayed. I enjoyed seeing Luna struggle to follow her sister's role and really feel guilt over ruining a field trip for some young fillies. Celestia struggled doing her sister's job of managing dreams and got a better understanding of the demons Luna battled. I liked seeing Nightmare Moon again and oh man was Daybreaker truly horrifying, especially since it was Starlight's nightmare and throughout it Starlight felt like she had doomed Equestria. Starlight was great in this episode and I liked her interactions with Twilight, who was hilarious as a ballerina figurine.  Definitely a fantastic well written episode, 10/10!!!

59485c9e55c83_1441231__safe_screencap_princessluna_aroyalproblem_spoiler-colon-s07e10_animated_dream_lunasdream_nightmare_nightmarefuel_surreal_teeth_unnamed.gif.57f89ad939c848c12a1bcbf96cf443c0.gif

59485cb91567f_1441394__safe_starlightglimmer_aroyalproblem_spoiler-colon-s07e10_animated_falling_flower_food_hoofy-dash-kicks_nightmare_pancakes.gif.82f376ccdf965c11690c72709b584657.gif

59485cbf6f082_1441416__safe_screencap_princesscelestia_princessluna_starlightglimmer_aroyalproblem_spoiler-colon-s07e10_animated_grumpy_magic_telekinesis_tired.gif.c32ef8e5229f866367c4ff64acec43c1.gif

59485ccd23a59_1441519__safe_screencap_daybreaker_aroyalproblem_spoiler-colon-s07e10_animated_laughing_solo.gif.bd3e22488010bceb9b230198155b909a.gif

59485cd1613e4_1441734__safe_screencap_angelbunny_daringdo_fluttershy_princesscadance_princesscelestia_princessflurryheart_aroyalproblem_spoiler-colon-s07e10_.gif.b87567a4756fb7db95294c050c05100e.gif

large.png.01d5f03d3a96bffb71d59bec785097e8.png

Royal-Problem-error028.png.5d2149d5ff5d4825b5f7d53801a4b470.png

Royal-Problem-error184.png.352b8072db8310d55bbdbf83a8e72d85.png

Royal-Problem-error225.png.21f97811da4ead9b62b9855655867fe8.png

Royal-Problem-error292.png.2b2ba934d8e14dbb9f9a185ba7acbaf8.png

Royal-Problem-error308.png.dd81e2d6899252f3990f1696696fae4f.png

Royal-Problem-error314.png.a23c5d6634b231746a0823af176b51cc.png

Royal-Problem-error395.png.337c61b8f252578fb4db482a5d209322.png

Royal-Problem-error409.png.1dda25b342456050c19ecc206c15855b.png

Royal-Problem-error617.png.71d477b7f13c2a2d8e69297661eeb58f.png

Royal-Problem-error638.png.480c5dc4ebd09091f74a68eea58aec99.png

Royal-Problem-error830.png.3463cef38d7847f2a332c7fed4769511.png

Royal-Problem-error836.png.9cd46b214bdfdc4c3d1461bef3b0c315.png

Royal-Problem-error027.png.4b277f04d9543b54d2b49a6ea5e3c527.png

Royal-Problem-error839.png.fc7fb9f739e2a692b26c26136ca0b9ac.png

Royal-Problem-error988.png.3b2ca72f0dc6ac1c2f9f4aaf8a4369be.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
19 hours ago, MLPFanatic34 said:

Royal-Problem-error988.png.3b2ca72f0dc6ac1c2f9f4aaf8a4369be.png

Nopony who wonders, how Luna came to know "Daybreakers" name in this scene?

Maybe she saw Daybreaker befor in the dream realm ?!?!

(Might be a nice start for fanfic, don´t you think?)

Edited by Dusky Flare
Postet text in the wrong field...
  • Brohoof 3

Quite decent! Certainly the Celestia/Luna episode we were all waiting for. It's quite welcome to see Celly portrayed as someone who struggles with her own flaws rather than the utterly flawless idol ponykind loves and respects, and her evil counterpart, Daybreaker is glorious!. My only issue is that the presence of Twilight and Starlight seems kinda unnecesary, but oh well, it's good to see they recognize Glimmy's explosive temper as her biggest flaw and that is pure potential for decent character development.

Great episode and the first Cutie Map mission of Season 7 with Starlight surprisingly being the one called. Twilight's musical ballerina box spell is similar to the book spell she used in Season 5 episode 12. Starlight's objective is to resolve the conflict between Celestia and Luna who don't appreciate each other's efforts.

Starlight uses her peerless Cutie Mark magic to switch their talents so that they have to do each other's jobs until the effect wears off. Celestia's job looks very difficult from the perspective of Luna. Fake smiling is a skill and it's unnatural to smile when you don't want to. Luna's fake smiling could only hold for so long. Her royal Canterlot voice wasn't assuring enough to debunk the rumors of timberwolves. She just doesn't have the social tenacity to do all the tasks that Celestia does everyday.

Cut to night time and it's Celestia's turn to do Luna's work. Raising the moon is easy enough since she had sufficient practice for 1000 years while Luna was banished and it's significantly smaller than the sun. Protecting dreams is the greatest responsibility. If Celestia can't protect the sleeping ponies, their dreams will turn in to nightmares and they could risk death by S.U.N.D.S. Starlight's nightmare realizes the worst case scenario of the sisters' rivalry, an all out war between Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker.

Luna is also having a nightmare due to her fake smile breaking in the picture and her teeth fall out. That was a pretty creepy dream with all the fillies repeating the same words over and over to make Luna feel guilty. Celestia brings her to Starlight's dream where her teeth are still intact and their reconciliation and appreciation of each other's hard work defeat their evil personae.

Twilight's appearance at the end was humorous when Starlight's CM glowed and Twilight wanted to take notes like she usually does. Luna going to sleep is strange though. I know she's practically nocturnal due to her night shift but she already slept through the night while Celestia was doing her work. That's like 2 sleeps in 1 day while Celestia has to do her day shift immediately after doing Luna's night shift. How will she maintain her fake smiles with no sleep all day?!

This episode was Starlight Glimmer's first cutie map mission. Princess Twilight Sparkle appears as a ballerina music box asking for Starlight Glimmer about the situation and I say "Adorable ballerina music box with my favorite pony in it." The problem in this episode is when Princess Celestia and Princess Luna arguing/bickering with each other, Starlight Glimmer switched their actual cutie marks in a temporary amount of time of 24 hours and I said "Starlight Glimmer, why did you switch their cutie marks? Switch them back!" At the dream world, there's something going on in the dream world and I would think that was Starlight Glimmer's fault after she switched their actual cutie marks, there's a fight between Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker (an arrogant and more powerful version of Princess Celestia), and later on in the Canterlot throne room, Princess Celestia made both Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker disappear. After 24 hours with their cutie marks being switched, their actual cutie marks are automatically switched back to where they belong and Starlight Glimmer's cutie mark flashes and I say "Mission Success!" So I will say this is an excellent episode and likely to be my favorite pony episode! :D

(edited)
7 hours ago, Truffles said:

So I wonder why AJ parents in her dream

Hide contents

don't look anything like her actual parents?

<_<

Spoiler

Maybe she was too young then to remember what they really look like? Or maybe it was some other pony she is remembering cuddles from?

Edited by CypherHoof
fixed nesting

I loved this episode so much. We got to see the interactions between the two sisters. This make both of them more relatable, developed characters. I loved this episode. Except for one thing - Luna's cutie mark. 

It has been shown in the episode Twilight's Kingdom that Luna's dark spot on her flank is a birth mark, not part of her cutie mark. When she gave her magic to Twilight, her moon cutie mark dissapeared and the splotch stayed. 

Before this, the fandom thought that spot had been part of her cutie mark. This episode showed every pony that it wasn't. This was fine. My issue is that this episode, they did this. 

Apperently Luna's birth mark is on Celestial, as well as her birth mark. I understand this was just a mistake from the episode writers, but this upset me so much I had to come up with a head cannon to fix it. So...

Starlight's spell, as she said, was a quick spell that she did without thinking it through. No thought, just action. So first, to understand Starlight's spell, let's go over what it did. 

-Switched their cutie marks

-Switched their magical abilities and magic color

Yeah. That's really all it did. This was obviously an advanced, but very simple spell.

The spell that gave Twilight Luna's magic, on the other hoof, was a very thought out spell, with Luna herself preforming her own part of giving her magic. Luna, knowing her own cutie mark, gave what she knew was the true part of the mark. 

Basically, I think what might have happened was Starlight, assuming Luna's cutie mark was a moon with a night sky, just as a fandom did before Tiwlight's Kingdom, switched the whole thing in this episode. Luna, knowing herself, gave her true mark. 

To sum it up (because this is getting really long), it's what the pony who's preforming the spell thinks. It's the thought that counts. 

But this is just my very long theory. Tag me yours!!! :grin:

• Brohoof 4

"Good choice! Not that you had one..."

B)

WOOO! Y'all gonna make me lose my mind, up in here, up in here!

Dayumn, Starlight! Honest to goodness, I was *floored* when you said that.

---

Years ago I'd have written a novel on how much I loved this episode. But today I'll just say this:

Holy fucking shit that episode was incredible.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Miles said:

"Good choice! Not that you had one..."

B)

WOOO! Y'all gonna make me lose my mind, up in here, up in here!

Heh yeah - followed by weapons-grade dirty looks from both sisters :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

An episode that I was looking forward to but also dreading on learning the synopsis, for that of seven season, where we get to see the focus placed on Princess Celestia though in this case with her younger sister. Signs, yet a few things prevented me from enjoying it though I wish I could love this episode.

-------------------------------------------------------------

First, I did not buy the premise at all. Celestia gave up her sister for a thousand damned years, living with the guilt and loneliness all during this time with the Summer Sun Celebration actually being a painful reminder of what she had to do. I'm sorry, but in my honest opinion I do NOT see the princess not appreciating her sister.

Second is that apart from arguably the dream walking aspect which I feel strongly would have had to been an ability Princess Luna gained after being redeemed by the Elements of Harmony so that she was no longer Nightmare Moon, Princess Celestia has done her younger sister's job for a thousand years. Meaning she should know how hard the job can be.

Third, Starlight. Now since I have not been active on here for a very long time many may not know my feelings on her but while her introduction was enjoyable the way the writers handled her reform and all the other nonsense that came with her return. I don't like Starlight, the way they handled her reform left me having very bitter feelings for her. In general even, especially when it comes to her power and skill in magic with the spells she has been able to pull off with that of her ease in doing so.

I feel this episode should have been focused on Celestia, Luna, and Twilight Sparkle. Without Starlight Glimmer playing any part in it or in helping the Royal Sisters with the issues they were having. She knew the sisters best, having been Celestia's student and the first to truly befriend Luna. Starlight, she ahd no connection to them nor did she know them.

Also, almost forgot, I was annoyed that Starlight had any connection to the Cutie Map where it could send her off on missions. She never wielded any of the Elements of Harmony so she should not be called on for something the Mane Six should be able to do, and the Cutie Map should be special of their friendship.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

On 6/17/2017 at 0:59 AM, Dusky Flare said:

Makes it convenient for the show (and they ARE indeed the ones who determine the course, I agree).

I just can understand that some people (incl. myself) might not be too happy with that. It makes the world inconsistent, or at least unreliable.

As a big fan of the former Star Wars EU, I know just how you feel.

On 6/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, Jeric said:

I noticed that too. I'm guessing it was an animation oversight and that slight detail from Twilight's Kingdom was missed. 

Either that or Starlight can dye coats at the same time as swapping Cutie Marks. :D

I'm guessing it was too difficult to see the moon on Celestia, what with both being white. Just an artistic decision without any overarching meaning to the plot.

• Brohoof 2

In Starlight's nightmare, would her doubt and disappointment of herself lead to Daybreaker's eventual materialized into reality if Celestia ultimately can't stop her? 

What effect does the nightmare have to Starlight's physique, as stated by Luna if Celestia somehow failed? 

5 minutes ago, Star Trail said:

In Starlight's nightmare, would her doubt and disappointment of herself lead to Daybreaker's eventual materialized into reality if Celestia ultimately can't stop her? 

What effect does the nightmare have to Starlight's physique, as stated by Luna if Celestia somehow failed? 

I believe it was psyche, i.e. her mental state {yay English ambiguity!}. I'd say a crippling blow to her self-confidence and agency?

7 hours ago, Star Trail said:

Possibly - we know that Luna feared that would happen to her own nightmare, but that may a reflection of Luna's powers, so may not apply to Starlight.

7 hours ago, Quinch said:
7 hours ago, Star Trail said:

I believe it was psyche, i.e. her mental state {yay English ambiguity!}. I'd say a crippling blow to her self-confidence and agency?

Yup, her psychological state - Although that is pretty unstable most of the time anyhow.

12 hours ago, Quinch said:

That was the word I was looking for..."psyche".

I would probably think of the worst for her mental health. She would fear her sleep due to maybe of dreams, akin to insomnia and that in return my affect her physical health. 

5 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Possibly - we know that Luna feared that would happen to her own nightmare, but that may a reflection of Luna's powers, so may not apply to Starlight.

What if somehow that wasn't Starlight's depiction of Daybreaker but instead was Celestia's own fear? We seen how Celestia helped Luna and Starlight in their nightmares in this episode but Celestia may of been doubting or afraid at the sight of Nightmare Moon returning in Starlight's dream only for her alter-ego version to come out as well. Reflecting this on Celestia, can Daybreaker really be the fear she always had? 

1 hour ago, Star Trail said:

What if somehow that wasn't Starlight's depiction of Daybreaker but instead was Celestia's own fear? We seen how Celestia helped Luna and Starlight in their nightmares in this episode but Celestia may of been doubting or afraid at the sight of Nightmare Moon returning in Starlight's dream only for her alter-ego version to come out as well. Reflecting this on Celestia, can Daybreaker really be the fear she always had? 

It's certainly possible .Celestia at this point has Luna's powers, so if Luna's nightmare could hop between dreams or escape to the real world, you could imagine Celestia's nightmare could do the same.  I am also curious at the wording Celestia used while banishing Daybreaker - "you will never exist AGAIN"... But that said, while discussing Daybreaker with Luna, Celestia said explicitly it was Starlight Glimmer's, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(edited)

I loved this episode. BEST EPISODE OF MLP EVER!!! I absolutely love Daybreaker as well as Nightmare Moon, but I have to say my favorite of the two is Daybreaker. I love fire and Daybreaker's mane as well. *Extreme Fangirling* :wub::pinkie:

Edited by MLPReshaStorm

8 hours ago, MLPReshaStorm said:

I loved this episode. BEST EPISODE OF MLP EVER!!! I absolutely love Daybreaker as well as Nightmare Moon, but I have to say my favorite of the two is Daybreaker. I love fire and Daybreaker's mane as well. *Extreme Fangirling* :wub::pinkie:

Yeah. Despite Celestia's assertion that Daybreaker will never exist again, I think we need more Daybreaker; she can be a recurring nightmare for Celestia, if nothing else :)

Just had a funny vision of ponies going door to door with the "Book of the Sun" asking ponies if they have accepted Daybreaker as their lord and savior.... :D

(edited)

Finally the spoiled story of Starlight being called by the map is no more relevant, since I now watched the whole episode. Luckily I did not read anything more to know what the story brings and the awesome episode that this is! And the votes are not a surprise, for me this is not just a 5/5, this is the best single episode I've watched of the whole series! And what made it so great is that once again it was with Princess Luna but also Celestia, an interaction we've never seen before and parts of their daily lives. But what is more, this was all squeezed into a single episode so nicely, what typically could go in two parter and could have been the beginning of the season in 2 parts.

To start off, the writers have made okay episodes with the start of the season but they were authors of 'The Hooffields and McColts' (Se5), 'Gauntlet of Fire' (Se6), sure not the best eps but from the good ones, this one is better than any other single episode ones, better than any other Princess Luna episode imo, although 'Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?' (Se5) was nearly as great.

Spoiler

MLPFiM-Se7-ep153-ARoyalProblem.thumb.jpg.5ef42c8997655f94157f951b4005eaa5.jpg

Twilight overreacting but that's been typical of her. I chuckled over her ballerina statuette, it was the right idea for Twi's worry.

Now some may say, SG did it again! She used magic on others and this time not anyone but the rulers! And that she should have been punished, banished, etc. I think Luna and Celestia could have attacked her with magic and in the last moment stopped and realized that they had to try it and this time SG did it for good, it is just her way of doing things, casting magic on ponies, it comes natural for her. Those who dislike her for doing that just need to accept it. Still, for a 22 min episode the way it was done worked for me, for why she did it and the way Luna and Celestia accepted.

MLPFiM-Se7-ep153-ARoyalProblem2.thumb.jpg.fe253659e0ec604de9a692d25ad9bb4f.jpg

Then, for the first  (or second) time I see Luna with wrinkles and not good looking, maybe she was similar in 'Twilight's Kingdom' after her magic power was drained by Tirek, Also, Celestia makes cakes? Sweet literally, I want one!

MLPFiM-Se7-ep153-ARoyalProblem3.thumb.jpg.efe021d4bdcc06f27dbf5df0672d17b4.jpg

Then the episode went quite predictable - one could expect each of them would mess up the other sister's daily agenda. The castle hall looks so nice with lavender decoration ! Props to the artists and animators again.

MLPFiM-Se7-ep153-ARoyalProblem4.thumb.jpg.727ee3794c9df24a992719603a87d9c2.jpg

And again, I've never seen Princess Luna just splashing her face over a table, looked funny, She was cute for example when sweating in 'Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?' but here just funny. Also yay at the royal dining room

MLPFiM-Se7-ep153-ARoyalProblem5.thumb.jpg.f4cb7d3208a304626a7c3659bd28706c.jpg

MLPFiM-Se7-ep153-ARoyalProblem6.jpg.a64c7fa64f21ad4cbbbd3bd237f454c7.jpg

And then comes the best part that felt like I was watching a two parter, Celestia could not manage the dreams and the night, then this villain comes, that is the coolest looking villain of MLP, better, much better than Nightmare Moon. Daybreaker, she is so much more evil than Nightmare Moon, that she should have a reappearance in another episode. Was she more powerful than NMM? Either way, seeing NMM again was a bit too much seeing this new one is amazing. Reminds me of marvel's carnage and venom formed of the same thing, just applied to different subjects. 

MLPFiM-Se7-ep153-ARoyalProblem7.thumb.jpg.86054cf4dd45092c4d90dd7341bf8879.jpg

This almost saddening part, whose are these teeth? Luna's? I felt bad for the best Princess of all (and I know some would say Celestia but Luna has much more fans imo). Why would this happen? :(

The episode was well wrapped, excellent choice, we did not see much action but everything fit so well for the 22 mins. Great, really the best and only single episode that I can measure along with the 2-parters. 

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems it is impossible to not complain, no matter how good an episode is and I can see the majority in the votes, quite conclusive. Should Hasbro cater to the few that find it such a wrong episode because Starlight Glimmer used magic against the will of other ponies again? If the two sisters had considered it so wrong, they would have stopped her or told her to reverse the spell but no, they just saw someone pushing them to a challenge and they accepted it. Why can't those who complain see it from this perspective?

I should be just skipping the complaints but when drama is made out of everything and in this case by few and they are so vocal, it becomes annoying to come across those posts.

So we need an episode like 'AJ's Day Off', written by a new writer in which we learn that AJ just wants to have some time with Rarity at the spa. Then it would have been a great episode right? Nothing. just pointless problem that could even be skipped due it's irrelevance and it's a slice of life in which absolutely NOTHING happens other than boring chit-chat for 22 minutes. Then it's a great episode.

This is called spicing it up, you need Discord, you need Starlight because while they are contradictory characters, this is what makes the episodes good and spiced! No let's have straightforward episodes in which the Mane 6 always do what absolutely every single fan expects them to do. 

On 5/21/2017 at 0:43 AM, GrimGrimoire said:

Yeah that was really creepy.... but I can say i have never actually dreamed of it in particular. I have dreamed of eyeballs falling out though. Maybe because I have such an aversion to eyeballs and eye injuries and the like. But now I will probably dream of thanks to this episode. Thanks a lot DHX!

I do try to keep my teeth healthy and I actually have such a dream from time to time, if I wake up right after I make sure they are there! Just like Luna.

Edited by ImpctR