Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Royal Problem  

204 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• Starlight: *spits in barf bag* "Did Tirek bake this cake?!" Celestia: "No. Tiberius." Luna: *facehoof* ("I hate it!" >__<)
    • Starlight: "The princess are A Royal Pain." ("I dislike it.")
    • Luna: "Eh. 'Tis not bad. But I've had better moonshine." ("…meh.")
    • Celestia: "It's cause for a celebration! *Starlight, Luna, Tiberius, Philomena join* ("I like it!")
    • Luna: "This is FABULOUS!" Celestia: *whispers to Starlight* "She and Rarity have girls' night out every Friday." ("I LOVE IT" <3)

I love this episode! It's one of my favourites; I've re-watched it several times.

I hope we get another sisters episode at some point, and I'd love to see Celestia actually turn in to Daybreaker... maybe Chrysalis could possess her or something!

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Derpy Fan said:

I love this episode! It's one of my favourites; I've re-watched it several times.

I hope we get another sisters episode at some point, and I'd love to see Celestia actually turn in to Daybreaker... maybe Chrysalis could possess her or something!

Could get a mirror world Celestia/Daybreaker and settle the question of which is more powerful once and for all :D

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Could get a mirror world Celestia/Daybreaker and settle the question of which is more powerful once and for all :D

I'm sure Discord can help us with that.

Spoiler

Maybe Daybreaker comes again in the shadow plays as a shadow of Celestia. 

• Brohoof 1

I"m watching it now and i'm puzzled
Starlight used a cutie mark swapping spell..but also effected talent :o??  Okay cutie marks are whatever the writers want them to be
A: starlight went out of her way to invent such a spell in the first place
B: she use a modified version of her odl removal spell
C: she made it up on the spot
Any of those three is disturbing to think about. I know she impulsive about using magic but..you have to come up wit the spell in order to use it.

12 minutes ago, BlinkZ said:

I"m watching it now and i'm puzzled
Starlight used a cutie mark swapping spell..but also effected talent :o??  Okay cutie marks are whatever the writers want them to be
A: starlight went out of her way to invent such a spell in the first place
B: she use a modified version of her odl removal spell
C: she made it up on the spot
Any of those three is disturbing to think about. I know she impulsive about using magic but..you have to come up wit the spell in order to use it.

Well, we know she already had a magic-talent-and-cutie-mark spell; she is inventive, and probably realized that a variation would allow her to yank both princesses' magic and put it back reversed

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

Well, we know she already had a magic-talent-and-cutie-mark spell; she is inventive, and probably realized that a variation would allow her to yank both princesses' magic and put it back reversed

hmm I suppose so. I am not going to say that 'oh the map did it' cause that just pushing it a bit.  I think the spell just reversed on it own after said time ran out.
The map is such a plot device your not supose to ask questions liek "how does it do X, and why"  The writers surely don't soe why should we?

Edited by BlinkZ

Just now, BlinkZ said:

hmm I suppose so. I am not going tosya 'oh the map did it' cause that just pushing it a bit.  I think the spell just reversed on it own after said time ran out.
The map is such a plot device your not supose to ask questions liek "how does it do X, and why"  The writers surely don't soe why should we?

Timer is a good enough reason; while we know the map has power over cutie marks, there is no particular reason for it to have swapped them back just at that second.

On 5/19/2017 at 0:39 AM, Kyoshi said:

This is, by far, my least hyped episode of the entire series now. Simply put, Starlight I personally feel is completely being wedged in here. I don't like the premise, I don't like Starlight using her cutie mark swapping nonsense again and this all will most likely ruin what was one of my most wanted episodes ever: An episode for the Royal Sisters. Now it is instead the Royal Sisters with Starlight being the powder for the keg. Ugh. This isn't because I hate Starlight (though this episode might make me do that all over again), I just don't think she has any place in this episode. At all. 

Episode 3 did pleasantly surprise me despite my doubt so there is always some hope, but this one, I don't know. I don't have a whole lot of hope for it whatsoever. I try to be as optimistic as I can be for these episodes, this is one of those times where I can't be. 

There's my view on it. 

i felt the same as well. when i watched this episode i cringed. I went "Hasn't Starlight learned anything about abusing magic?" I also find it disappointing that she's only making matters worse to the celestial princesses. She sure is the main antagonist in this episode, and a bad one for sure

Well I did like the episode, mostly because Celestia got a lot of screentime, but the way Starlight randomly switched both Princesses marks was kind of uncalled for. Overall the episode turned out well, though there were some problems with it.

I enjoyed the episode...  Mostly because of the additional screentime with Celestia and Luna....  I'm more of a Luna fangirl, so I especially enjoyed her character development.  But in general, I did like seeing character development from both of the sisters, especially their relationship.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love this episode because of the return of nightmare night and the idea that celestia can turn into day braker was awesome but the only think I don't like was the name daybraker it suck I think it should be sola flare 

• Brohoof 1

It would have been better without Starlight, though even the premise left me frustrated. 

At the very least for Celestia, in her somehow not appreciating Luna despite them being apart for a thousand years. With her guilt and sorrow in that one thousand years, particularly because it was Luna not feeling appreciated that she became Nightmare Moon. Of how the Summer Sun Celebration was moment a painful reminder then a time to celebrate.

I immediately questioned even the consideration of Celestia not appreciating Luna. Plus, the two switching places and "jobs" was done far better in the comics.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

I like the episode and hope they will make more with the two. At least we get to see the other side Celestria as someone's else beside a happy-go-lucky-who-keep-asking -twi-for-help. 

• Brohoof 1

I thought this was a terrific episode.It was really nice to see the Princesses showing a more "human" side. Daybreaker was a great villain, too. My favorite episode of the season so far.

Edited by PonyHag1
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, I'm still so behind on episodes. I had opinions about this one, though

I overall really enjoyed this episode, but the premise of it feels very odd to me. Strange that I'm looking back and seeing people take the most issue with Starlight, when I thought she was the only one of the main characters who had basically flawless execution in the story. I'm not even a big Starlight fan. It just seems like all her actions make sense for the character. They probably could have better established prior to this some lesson about her not being afraid to use her magic skills when bold action was needed, but I think it's good they haven't decided to just stamp out that capacity.

No, the main thing that puzzles me about this plot is that Celestia somehow doesn't understand Luna's problems despite having to take care of both the day and night for 1000 years? Like, did she not actually handle Luna's tasks during this time? Were ponies going mad from nightmares all the time under her reign? Is this setting up something for later in the season to explain it? Even so, it would seem like Celestia should understand the implications of her sister not being there to handle her job.

Other big issue was that Twilight still suuuuuuuucks as a teacher. There are like two instances in the entire series where I seem to recall her doing the right thing to guide Starlight, and this certainly isn't one of them.

Nevertheless, it was good to see the royal sisters in action, both to see their personalities a little more causally and to just have a little fun excursion into their daily/nightly lives.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Princess Celestia: Heh. Luna works alone... Oh, but it's nothing I can't handle. All I have to do is watch over Equestria, visit the dream realm, and protect ponies in their nightmares. My list was three times as long!

She thought that protecting Equestria couldn't be difficult?

And I'm not bitching about her underestimating Luna's task.

• 1 month later...

I thought this episode was pretty good, I liked it quite a lot,I found it very funny mostly with twilight, and I felt invested in the princesses problems with each other and I know I'm not the first person to say this but daybreaker was awesome, even more so fighting nightmare moon.

I love this episode it was really fun to see Nightmare Moon make a return, not to mention Celestia's alternate self Daybreaker, that was awesome! It's interesting to think that even the fair and all kind princess Celestia can have a dark side if she goes crazy with her power. :sunbutt:  

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This was the first time I would say that we see Luna and Celestia act bitter towards each other. It’s a great point made by the storyboard writers, showing that even the royal Alicorn sisters aren’t perfect. Overall, a really great episode!

Some dreams are spooky...

• 1 month later...

Very funny episode showing what happens when two sisters don’t get along. Luna and Celestia’s arguing was perfect, especially Celestial mocking Luna about her flittering about giving everyone lovely dreams. It’s nice to see a real person underneath that royal facade of having to smile all the time. We need more episodes like this showing what Celestial and Luna do besides their royal duties.

1 minute ago, Twilight Luna said:

Very funny episode showing what happens when two sisters don’t get along. Luna and Celestia’s arguing was perfect, especially Celestial mocking Luna about her flittering about giving everyone lovely dreams. It’s nice to see a real person underneath that royal facade of having to smile all the time. We need more episodes like this showing what Celestial and Luna do besides their royal duties.

A lot of that is a sibling thing - its amazing how supposedly mature siblings revert to three-year-olds when they squabble.... :)

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

A lot of that is a sibling thing - its amazing how supposedly mature siblings revert to three-year-olds when they squabble.... :)

It’s funny to see that from these two since they are over 1,000 years old.