Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Royal Problem  

204 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• Starlight: *spits in barf bag* "Did Tirek bake this cake?!" Celestia: "No. Tiberius." Luna: *facehoof* ("I hate it!" >__<)
    • Starlight: "The princess are A Royal Pain." ("I dislike it.")
    • Luna: "Eh. 'Tis not bad. But I've had better moonshine." ("…meh.")
    • Celestia: "It's cause for a celebration! *Starlight, Luna, Tiberius, Philomena join* ("I like it!")
    • Luna: "This is FABULOUS!" Celestia: *whispers to Starlight* "She and Rarity have girls' night out every Friday." ("I LOVE IT" <3)

(edited)

Damn.

Apart from the map calling Starlight for unexplained reasons, we have another top tier episodes on our hands

We are finally given a chance to see the Royal Sisters shine together for once and get more in depth into their relationship, managed to make Starlight work in this episode, Twilight was absolutely adorable. For an episode I had the biggest worry for they managed to succeed with flying colors, easily one of my favorites of the season

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 6

Well, dang, this was actually really good! I've not liked this season's plot-heavy, moral-driven formula, but this one was genuinely nuanced and surprisingly funny. I wish it had more room for the characters to breathe, as everyone in this does little other than what the plot asks of them, but on the other hand, all the characters fill their roles really well. I'm even willing to tolerate the map, because this wouldn't be possible without it, although I wish the show would bother to explain it or at least have someone - anyone - question it. It might be nice if Starlight would stop being bland, but I'm super giddy about how good Twilight has been in recent episodes. Loved this all around. 

Full review at my blog. Three episodes out of ten that I've properly liked this season! Let's hope for more. 

This is probably my favorite episode of the whole show now x3

Luna's nightmare though... I ended up having that teeth falling out dream a lot as well.

• Brohoof 1

Found this on Derpibooru 

1441693__safe_screencap_daybreaker_a+roy

We now have a possibility that the barren wasteland that Twilight and Starlight wind up in is a result of Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon fighting each other for control of Equestria. 

• Brohoof 7

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Found this on Derpibooru 

1441693__safe_screencap_daybreaker_a+roy

We now have a possibility that the barren wasteland that Twilight and Starlight wind up in is a result of Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon fighting each other for control of Equestria. 

I mean, if this could actually happen, then I guess so, but I figured that nightmare was just Starlight's anxiety getting out of control. 

This episode was so awesome! I'm really loving this season. Probably one of the best episodes of this season at the moment. I really like the conflict netween Celestia and Luna, and how Starlight Glimmer resolved it. 

This season is getting better and better than I expected. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

*Sees various reviews elsewhere.*

Once again, I see -- surprise, surprise -- Celestia-haters jumping on the bandwagon to text-wall about every little flaw (whether perceived or real) of hers in the episode.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

I loved this episode just for the fanfiction fuel. Finally Celestia and Luna are given an entire episode to dedicated to being ungrateful sisters and it was awesome.

Unfortunately when it comes up to Starlight Glimmer, I still feel her arcs are too repetitive "Use magic to solve problem...wait I'm in trouble now!". Seriously it is so tiring, just stop and give Starlight something else to learn!

I love Daybreaker and it makes me want to see Cadance's evil version. Personally I think the evil form of Cadence would be a manipulative evil jealous mother figure. "Oh my love for my subjects is absolute...I expect their love for me to be the same! Don't dare deny me and give that love to your friends and family! THAT LOVE IS MINE AND MINE ALONE!!!"

Once again, love love love this episode!!

• Brohoof 6

1 hour ago, windy_prance said:

makes me want to see Cadance's evil version

Or Twilight's, for that matter! "Lesson Zero" aside, of course. 

• Brohoof 1

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

Loved the part in which Daybreaker (or Nightmare Star) makes her appearance, though just in SG's dream of course. Also liked the part in which Twilight communicates with SG via the music box, which I find cute and funny. Anyways, that's all I have to say here. Again, this is the best episode of Season 7 in my opinion. =D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Right now, this stands as my FAVORITE episode of Season 7.  And I have good reasons to say why: 

The fact that someone else other than the Mane 6 were sent on a Friendship Mission via the Cutie Map(Next ones should be the CMC, Trixie, Discord, the Alicorn Sisters or even Derp...I mean Muffins)

Celestia and Luna were made to look more like believable characters

Hell, just seeing those two fight each other is a moment of awesome

The funny elements, especially from Luna

And espeically Celestia's EVIL form: Daybreaker.

I barely have anything to complain about.  And as I stated, this is my favorite episode of My Little Pony Season 7.  Worth watching again.

Also....

twostupidprincessesV2.png

Edited by SaburoDaimando
  • Brohoof 2

Now I'm not so worried about Triple Threat. This is the third time now that an episode I thought would be bad turned out to be good (The first 2 were Flurry of Emotions and Parental Glideance). 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, SaburoDaimando said:

The fact that someone else other than the Mane 6 were sent on a Friendship Mission via the Cutie Map(Next ones should be the CMC, Trixie, Discord, the Alicorn Sisters or even Derp...I mean Muffins)

How would the Map symbolize Discord?

That tornado Cutie Mark from when he was disguised as a Unicorn?

d53e01ebc02807df71ad98dd6012d9a3.jpg

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, A.V. said:

How would the Map symbolize Discord?

I would actually imagine those without cutie marks would just have an image of their head floating rather creepily above the map. Like little disembodied emoticons or something.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I would actually imagine those without cutie marks would just have an image of their head floating rather creepily above the map. Like little disembodied emoticons or something.

Imagining Discord's head floating above the Cutie Map is amusing me greatly right now. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

I just remembered, did you all see Lunas Nightmare, where she is losing her teeth? That is very creepy and It's actually one of the most comin nightmares, that people dream about.

Anyone ever dreamed about that?

No, but it reminded me of another nightmare in Pixar's Inside Out where Riley dreamt she was in class with no pants and her teeth falling out!

7 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

No, but it reminded me of another nightmare in Pixar's Inside Out where Riley dreamt she was in class with no pants and her teeth falling out!

Oh yeah, they did that too. Nightmares are pretty much played out movies. :P

Love that movie.

• Brohoof 1

On one hand, the episode came across as rather fan service-y, on the other they still pulled it off pretty well. One thing that stood out to me was just how dark this episode was, like with "Celestia"basically promising to kill "Luna". Luna's nightmare was also just plain creepy. Some more thoughts. 

First, this piece of dialogue: 

Starlight, rhetorically: "You know how someponies say nothing's wrong, but you tell something's definitely wrong?"

Twilight, embarrassed: "No..."

Point towards Twilight being autistic and against Starlight for the same. On a more serious note, it emphasizes the differences between the two of them. Sure, superficially they are basically the same: purple neurotic unicorns with a differently colored stripe in their hair and exceptional magical talent learning friendship, but they are actually quite different. Twilight started off as cynical, but well intentioned, and her problems with friendship were much more mechanical, her heart was always in the right place. Starlight meanwhile was always great at the mechanics, her problem was in the application to ensure she'd be using her abilities for good. She's rather idealistic and wants to be good, but she's corruptible and afraid of giving into temptation, and needs confidence she can be good. Twilight takes a much more cerebral approach to her magic and friendship and is dedicated to following the rules, while Starlight goes with her gut and isn't afraid to do something other would consider immoral if it reaches an ethical goal. Their neuroticism are also quite different. They both a quite a bit of anxiety, but Twilight's it's very general and relates to her general cognitive approach, while Starlight's relates specifically to her past and inability to trust herself with responsibility (which we can see in her nightmare at the end). Starlight is also much more inclined to suppress her emotions, leading to the occasional outburst. I noticed many people complained about how quickly Starlight got through the friendship course compared to Twilight, but that's missing the point that she isn't Twilight, and her problems were completely different. The best part about Twilight being Princess of Friendship is it's something she's not naturally good at, so it's quite inspiring. I wonder what they have planned for Starlight in the future.

Finally we get to see Celestia being less than perfect, which I'm sure was as much of a surprise to half the fandom as it was the Twilight. I'm impressed with her stinging her sarcasm can be, and even when apart from Luna the quip about raising the moon was particularly brutal. Also like that we finally get an official name for Daybreaker, though it felt a little bit forced. Would still make an excellent boss fight. It was nice to compare the personality and skill differences between Celestia and Luna. Celestia is a clear extrovert and Luna an introvert, and that compliments their jobs. Maybe the jealously the Luna ended up accumulating had less to do with their roles and more to do just with their personalities, the extroverts are always more popular unless the introverts show exceptional talent for something or the extrovert is particularly obnoxious. One minor concern I have is they were able to adjust their sleep schedules to the opposite so quickly, from personal experience I know that's by far the least realistic part of the episode. :P

Finally, the ending scene fits well with the ending of the previous one. 

• Brohoof 3

30 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Now I'm not so worried about Triple Threat. This is the third time now that an episode I thought would be bad turned out to be good (The first 2 were Flurry of Emotions and Parental Glideance). 

Right. And two episodes that I thought would be rather simple to pull off ended up disappointing me. 

Seen it again, no change in my opinion overall, but I am surprised at naming Celestia's evil form Daybreaker the more I think about it. I understand not going with 'Nightmare' though. 

3 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

One minor concern I have is they were able to adjust their sleep schedules to the opposite so quickly, from personal experience I know that's by far the least realistic part of the episode

You could just say it is a byproduct of the Cutie Marks switching since doing that in the past has usually had oddly unpredictable results that do things to ponies outside of just talent. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Right. And two episodes that I thought would be rather simple to pull off ended up disappointing me. 

Seen it again, no change in my opinion overall, but I am surprised at naming Celestia's evil form Daybreaker the more I think about it. I understand not going with 'Nightmare' though. 

You could just say it is a byproduct of the Cutie Marks switching since doing that in the past has usually had oddly unpredictable results that do things to ponies outside of just talent. 

I'll accept that explanation. Cutie mark magic never has made sense, so why not. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1

Yo...that was...totally awesome!!!

I tell you THIS, THIS is a true episode right here. This is by far the best episode thus far in my book, learning about stepping into other people's shoes and experiencing all they have to go through just to live a day...gah...so much for taking life for granted these days...

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Ganondox said:

I'll accept that explanation. Cutie mark magic never has made sense, so why not. 

Tell me about it. 

But you are right about how changing your sleep pattern takes a lot more effort than it showed in the episode. So much so. O.o

• Brohoof 1

Another thing I liked about this episode is the little touches like the fact that Celestia enjoys making pancakes by herself instead of relying on her chefs.

This is probably as close to a canon reason as any as to why Twilight and Spike are fans of eating pancakes for breakfast: They probably have fond memories of Celestia inviting them to start the day with her on many occasions before class, and the menu item for all those times was likely her home-made pancakes.

Imagining such scenes with the three of them together makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.  ^______^

• Brohoof 9