Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Royal Problem  

204 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• Starlight: *spits in barf bag* "Did Tirek bake this cake?!" Celestia: "No. Tiberius." Luna: *facehoof* ("I hate it!" >__<)
    • Starlight: "The princess are A Royal Pain." ("I dislike it.")
    • Luna: "Eh. 'Tis not bad. But I've had better moonshine." ("…meh.")
    • Celestia: "It's cause for a celebration! *Starlight, Luna, Tiberius, Philomena join* ("I like it!")
    • Luna: "This is FABULOUS!" Celestia: *whispers to Starlight* "She and Rarity have girls' night out every Friday." ("I LOVE IT" <3)

Just now, Kyoshi said:

I don't know. Looking around I am starting to get this slight feeling that if one has anything negative to say about Starlight in any way whatsoever, even if it is proper criticism, then that person's opinion automatically becomes invalid. Just something I've noticed. 

That is unfortunately not a new thing, and not exclusive to Starlight. 

I can say that following the S5 finale I was not sold on her. This season they are doing exactly what I hoped they would, which is why I like discussing her. 

Also, I need to find that Luna frown image. Adorable!

1 minute ago, M'gann M'orzz said:

How much fan art will there be of Daybreaker within 2 days?

I'm waiting on staff to approve my FC. Then she shall rise again! 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I don't know. Looking around I am starting to get this slight feeling that if one has anything negative to say about Starlight in any way whatsoever, even if it is proper criticism, then that person's opinion automatically becomes invalid. Just something I've noticed. 

It's because it's become a fucking cycle at this point, people are just REALLY sick of it. If you don't like a character fine but Starlight's hatedom seems to flat out obsess over her. No one likes having the same freaking argument over and over and over and over.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, M'gann M'orzz said:

It's because it's become a fucking cycle at this point, people are just REALLY sick of it. If you don't like a character fine but Starlight's hatedom seems to flat out obsess over her. 

That doesn't give anyone the right to try and silence others because of that. I have been seeing that a lot today. If people are tired of it, then they should ignore it and leave it be. 

I don't think Starlight is a bad character at this point, she sure as hell started out as one, but she is a lot better now. I just feel this particular episode was pretty terrible at having her be a focal point. I feel it didn't work out well. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Cons: Luna and Celestia mid-episode

Pros: EVERYTHING ELSE.

This episode is absolutely amazing, and surely the best of the season so far. Everything was great, from the way they handled Starlight, to BALLERINA TWILLY, to the cute pancakes Celestia makes for Luna. The lesson of the episode is one that I think is almost universally applicable even!

I couldn't live with myself if I gave it less than 9.75/10.

Edited by Squirrel Luigi
This isn't YouTube. My bad :3
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
4 hours ago, Squirrel Luigi said:

Cons: Luna and Celestia mid-episode

Pros: EVERYTHING ELSE.

This episode is absolutely amazing, and surely the best of the season so far. Everything was great, from the way they handled Starlight, to *BALLERINA TWILLY*, to the cute pancakes Celestia makes for Luna. The lesson of the episode is one that I think is almost universally applicable even!

I couldn't live with myself if I gave it less than 9.75/10.

Nice to hear you say that after the recent episodes I know you hated

I believe this episode did its job and lesson pretty good!

On 5/19/2017 at 10:19 AM, Lambdadelta said:

10th Episodes are cursed. I hope someone will break this cycle;)

This ep is already controversial even before it is aired. The forum is a little boring recently, hope this ep will shake thing up again.

Bonus: The Drama keeps fandom awake.

I can say that personally for me, this Episode broke the curse! Play this video from 1:56-2:12 for the scene that best sums up this moment!

Edited by WiiGuy2014
Start the video closer to the intended moment!
  • Brohoof 2

GREAT episode. 8.5/10 

Good thing this season appears to have bounced back from the last two episodes. Hard to say anything was pretty bleh and the last one with applejack and rarity was kinda eh.

Very well done episode.

• Brohoof 3

35 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I feel ya, Kyoshi

1 minute ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I feel ya, Kyoshi

That's the thing, I have clearly established that I don't hate Starlight. I used to, that is a fact, but Season 7 has done a much better job at representing her. That is why I feel this episode doesn't succeed anywhere near as much, it doesn't do what the rest of the season has done for her as a character, at least in my eyes. I have provided what I didn't like and what I feel would have made it better, yet I feel like everything I am saying is being tossed out the window, just because I am not 100% praising the episode. Makes me not even want to bother. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

That's the thing, I have clearly established that I don't hate Starlight. I used to, that is a fact, but Season 7 has done a much better job at representing her. That is why I feel this episode doesn't succeed anywhere near as much, it doesn't do what the rest of the season has done for her as a character, at least in my eyes. I have provided what I didn't like and what I feel would have made it better, yet I feel like everything I am saying is being tossed out the window, just because I am not 100% praising the episode. Makes me not even want to bother. 

agreed. I don't hate her (as I've said in past threads before). I detest her actions, as far as magic abuse is concerned, and putting her in a plot where its uncalled for. When she's not shoehorned in, and not magiking up for op contrived reasons, I can stand her. This episode, as we've both said, does little to nothing to improve her character, and weakens it, in fact. One step forward, three steps back.

I think many of the things that some people say make Starlight a bad character are the source of her greatest strengths.  Generally, Starlight is a very warm and sensitive character, which makes her very identifiable (at least to me).  She is also very grounded in a way that, perhaps, Celestia and Luna couldn't be.  I'll try and say more about this as I give it more thought.

I for one would like to read more of your thoughts, Kyoshi. :)

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I feel ya, Kyoshi

Yeah but for you it's a bit different you just straight up says she's terrible in an episode for no apparent reason. I see you on every MLP site I go to. And you always say Starlight ruins the show in every single Starlight post no matter what, even if the episode is good or Starlight really didn't use magic. It gets redundant and annoying after a while. Especially this post here on Rock Solid Friendship?

honestly, I don't like this episode. By Putting Maude in Ponyville, it pretty much kills the interaction of Pinkie with her other sisters, who need episodes. Parents, too. And omg, too much Starlight Gutter. Is there NO OTHER pony that Maude could've been friends with? Derpy? DJ Pon3? Snips and Snails? Carrot Top? Cheerilee? But no- again, we get oversaturation of Starlight. uggggggh.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
Just now, Kyoshi said:

I mean, I think she was characterized fine in my opinion. I think the other characters in the previous episodes really played off her personality really well, which in my opinion, is really why she shined so well in those episodes. 

The interaction between starlight and twilight was still cool to see and pretty funny. 

I really liked the episode, but if anything kept it from being 10/10 it would just be the lack of the characters really playing off starlights personality really well like in the previous episodes.

Not that I dislike the episode. The episode was really good imo still a solid:

8.5/10 episode!

Edited by Firedog
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Nohate said:

Yeah but for you it's a bit different you just straight up says she's terrible in an episode for no apparent reason. I see you on every MLP site I go to. And you always say Starlight ruins the show in every single Starlight post no matter what, even if the episode is good or Starlight really didn't use magic. It gets redundant and annoying after a while. Especially this post here on Rock Solid Friendship?

if I feel she's not needed in an episode, and somepony else could be explored and given characterization, then I'll say it. And I have thank you for pointing that out. I didn't say Starlight is terrible- is she being overused? YES. Would I like to see somepony else if the situation calls for it? YES. Is she a terrible pony just by existing? NO. I've already made that clear by saying I LIKED her appearance in Fluttershy Leans in.

4 minutes ago, Ragland Tiger said:

I think many of the things that some people say make Starlight a bad character are the source of her greatest strengths.  Generally, Starlight is a very warm and sensitive character, which makes her very identifiable (at least to me).  She is also very grounded in a way that, perhaps, Celestia and Luna couldn't be.

The grounded comment is apt. I think her internal conflict and actions tend to make her one of the more realistic characters on the show, and a decent character to open up new approaches in a narrative. 

She is not my favorite character, but I'm always very intrigued when she is on screen. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, I will say that this episode was not as good as I had hoped.

It was way better!

I was worried they might mess it up and mostly only focus on Starlight, but they did a fantastic job and focused on her and the sister equally! When it showed her being called by the Cutie Map I knew she was going to do this right. Though a bit hasty with the spell, she was quite good at handling this, even better than Twilight, who was great in this episode too. I think one of the best things it shows is that not even the Princesses are perfect.

I am also really happy they had shown Daybreaker. It definitely showed that they both can be corrupted by their feelings, and that they must work together. I also just loved how it was a Luna and Celestia episode, dealing with their day to day duties. 

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Trixie . said:

This was by far my favorite episode, FINALLY we saw Nightmare Star!

That was unexpected and a pleasant surprise! 

large.gif

• Brohoof 5

12 minutes ago, Ragland Tiger said:

I think many of the things that some people say make Starlight a bad character are the source of her greatest strengths.  Generally, Starlight is a very warm and sensitive character, which makes her very identifiable (at least to me).  She is also very grounded in a way that, perhaps, Celestia and Luna couldn't be.  I'll try and say more about this as I give it more thought.

I for one would like to read more of your thoughts, Kyoshi. :)

Well, I am glad there is at least one person that still cares about what I have to say. Whether or not I come off as strongly worded, I never intend to create a huge debate or cause trouble, it is just if there is something I don't like, like in an episode or something, I try to get my thoughts out there to the best of my ability, even if it doesn't work. Knowing the odds I just put people off. 

Also, like I said in my first post, I might like this episode more on a second viewing. Might do that tomorrow or something. I am guess I am just feeling really worked up for some reason.

17 minutes ago, Jeric said:

That was unexpected and a pleasant surprise! 

large.gif

quite unexpected. But she looks different than her form on the Interplay card.....could there still be another version of her that we'll see in the waking world?

(edited)

I dont expect Starlight used her magic like... instantly, she just ... did it, without any warnings.

Here my first impression:

The pacing of this ep feel too fast, it feel like they dont want to waste any minute of it, they dont give me time to think between scenes or i am just too slow to catch up. You should not review this by just watching it once. This ep make me feel like the V.As and animators are in hurry before the episode end, like the dialogues are fast-paced, the fight scene is fast, the villain (Day Breaker) is just 'poof', i expect some dramatic villian death, it look like they dont want to drag every scene out too long.

Enough with the pacing, i will go with characters. Royal Sisters are kinda... off, they are not what i expected them to be. Are they some angles that i havent discover yet or they are out of character? Luna character is kinda make sense if you stick with her Lunar Eclipse version, so i dont know the writers want to stick with emo-princess or a playful princess like in the comics? (I heard some people love comic-Luna more than show-Luna). Celestia is too casual in this ep, she should be a soft-spoken person with her 'princess' mannerisms, is this Celestia when she not in the public? I gather some pieces in past episodes like Best Night Ever, Make New Friends, Ponyville Confidential, Slice of Life or Celestial Advice, should i conclude this is the True face of Celestia??? I am confused. I dont know this is out of character or character development, because they dont look like Royal Sisters in my HEAD.

I have to rewatch this episode several times to organize my thoughts. I gave Flutter Brutter a 5/10 at first but after the second watch, i gave a 9/10 and place it in my top 10 of S6 so... I give this ep a 7/10, it definitely not a boring episode in the slightest but left me confusing. 

Bonus 1: I really love Twilight in this ep, it's so Twilight.

Bonus 2: i have to agree Starlight is kinda a weird choice for this ep.

Bonus 3: Wait, the map can call other ponies beside Element of Harmony? Too many possibilities for future episode. I want a CMC map episode.

Bonus 4: Luna's nightmare is fucking creepy... remind me one of my dream when my teeth are pulled out of my mouth.......... damn it.

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
35 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

if I feel she's not needed in an episode, and somepony else could be explored and given characterization, then I'll say it. And I have thank you for pointing that out. I didn't say Starlight is terrible- is she being overused? YES. Would I like to see somepony else if the situation calls for it? YES. Is she a terrible pony just by existing? NO. I've already made that clear by saying I LIKED her appearance in Fluttershy Leans in.

Lets see here how is she overused.

Season 5 premiere only appeared as a villain and didn't do much other than take away Twilight and gangs Cutie Mark with only a bit more than half an episode I'll give it around 25 minutes of appearance. Season 5 finale only appeared for using the time travel speed and stopping Twilight which is pretty much only 15 minutes worth of appearance. Along with those two she had only 2 background appearances. You see only around 40 minutes worth of Starlight out of 520 minutes if every episode is 20 minutes long. Moving on!

Season 6 premiere she wasn't the focus of the episode she was sharing it with Flurry Heart with only around 1 episode to herself illl give it 20 minutes worth of appearance. Than in Season 6 episode 6 she got her first episode that she appeared is the majority of so I'll give this one 20 minutes worth of appearance. Than we have Season 6 episode 8 she technically didn't even appear for the whole episode she was acting as Snowfall Frost, but if you still want to count that as well than another 20 minutes. Season 6 episode 12 1 minute appearance fixing the Friendship Map. Season 6 episode 16 meets Thorax and only appeared for around 5 minute of the entire episode. Season 6 episode 21 another full episode to herself 20 minutes. Season 6 episode 24 a 30 second appearance in the castle. Season 6 finale first two parter completely centered around Starlight and her team so a full 40 minutes. 104 1/2 minutes out of 520 minutes.

Season 7 premiere episode 1 she was the topic of focus but it wasn't her episode so she only had around 3 minutes on screen. Season 7 premiere episode 2 she shared half the episode with the Mane 6 so only 10 minutes. Season 7 episode 4 meets Maud but it wasn't her episode so she only had 7 minutes of screen time. Season 7 episode 5 30 seconds or less of background appearance. Season 7 episode 8 name was mentioned. Finally season 7 episode 10 her first 20 minute episode. This season so far she had a total of 40 1/2 minutes of appearance out of 200 minutes.

She doesn't even come close to any of the Mane 6 or CMCs in terms of screen time. Also she is needed in pretty much all the episodes she was in. I could explain it all to you if you want me to.

Edited by Nohate
  • Brohoof 3